Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default motor dies when comming to a stop. 2014 rt PROBLEM SOLVED

Hi would like people to reply who actually have experienced this and have a solution. Want to take a long ride this weekend. Or would wait to bring to dealer. 2014 Rt e6 14,000 miles
    Please stay with topic .
    Thanks Kenn
    Last edited by kbwitt; 04-22-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Now I notice a gasoline smell when bikes parked in the garage.

Spyder Garage

That sounds like the vacuum hose issue on some of the older RT's. Under the throttle body are 2 small rubber hoses that dry out and crap and cause these types of problems. Most people replace them with higher temp silicone hoses. Might not be your exact problem, but worth checking.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I do not know if the 1330 has those vacuum hoses
    I can not find any in the parts diagram
    I could be your fuel filter or a leak somewhere in the fuel line if you smell fuel I would start there as I have no smell from mine
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

I would also be sure that you have some good fresh gas in it, stale or old gas may make it run funky. Might put a can of Sea Foam in the tank.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try running some good fuel through it for a tankful...
    If that doesn't cure it; you might have some clutch plates sticking together...
    If they don't release when the bike is stopping: the engine HAS to stop spinning.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This sounds like a leak in the vacuum line between the manifold and the purge valve or between the purge valve and the charcoal canister. Could also be a stuck purge valve. Need to check the whole evap emissions system for leaks.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This sounds like a leak in the vacuum line between the manifold and the purge valve or between the purge valve and the charcoal canister. Could also be a stuck purge valve. Need to check the whole evap emissions system for leaks.
    - rubber hoses can leak for a variety of reasons, also, purge valves are cheaply made and do go bad.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know it was hot in AZ yesterday and that may have something to do with it. My 14 RT sometimes quits at stops too but only if it is really hot and the engine is fully warmed up. Doesn't do it all the time, just sometimes. Haven't had time to dig into it yet.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine'll also quit sometimes, when I'm slapping it into reverse...
    It might just be the nature of these beasts!
    I consider it to be a non-issue...

Spyder Garage

Ok today no problems bike is working perfect. So I guess it had a stuck valve or a computer clitch what ever today perfect. Yesterday it was 97 degrees but i have driven in 115 so do not think it was heat related. I stopped and bought some sea foam so will use it in the next 3 tanks then maybe every 2nd or 3rd tank. I also ordered some foam on Amazon today 6.47 16 oz bottle delivered good price plus if I have it I will add it.
    Thanks all for great suggestions.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    Ok today no problems bike is working perfect. So I guess it had a stuck valve or a computer clitch what ever today perfect. Yesterday it was 97 degrees but i have driven in 115 so do not think it was heat related. I stopped and bought some sea foam so will use it in the next 3 tanks then maybe every 2nd or 3rd tank. I also ordered some foam on Amazon today 6.47 16 oz bottle delivered good price plus if I have it I will add it.
    Thanks all for great suggestions.
    Kenn
    The Walmart by me sells SeaFoam for that price...did you check there?

Glad you got your problem worked out.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Mine started to do it the other day. Just when going down into first. I notice the RPM dropping to 800. It won't stall of I give a quick twist of the throttle as it goes into first to keep the RPM above 900. Will have to run by the dealer next week to see if an ecm reflash will do anything. No check engine lights. Does it about 75% of the time
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

Default hose

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    That sounds like the vacuum hose issue on some of the older RT's. Under the throttle body are 2 small rubber hoses that dry out and crap and cause these types of problems. Most people replace them with higher temp silicone hoses. Might not be your exact problem, but worth checking.
    yes I had the same thing happen to me had to replace the the two hoses .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with all the additives in todays gas and you had your bike sitting for a while or you got some really crappy gas . I really doubt you will need to clean you fuel system .

Spyder Garage

ALL SEEMS TO BE INTACT THAT I CAN SEE.. SPOKE WITH FRED RAU TODAY,, HE SAID WHEN THEY WERE TESTING THE 1330 MOTOR THIS WAS HAPPENIG ANDTHEY HAD TO DO A REFLASH OF THE ECM AND REPROGRAM IT. ITS STILL UNDER WARRANTY SO WILL DRIVE BY THE DEALER TOMORROW AND HAVE THEM HOOK IT UP AND SEE OF ANYTHING JUMPS OUT.. ALWAYS RUN 93 OCTANE,,, RAN SOME SEAFOAM THRU IT.. JUST WHEN SHIFING INTO FIRST RPMS WILL DROP TO 700 - 800 AND STALL WE SHALL SEE
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with a 2012 RT. Ended up the clutch was fully disengaging. That was covered under warranty then it had a very rough idle which was the purge valve that was in the service bulletin which they thought also might be the MAP sensor. Even though your clutch is hydraulic it might be getting stuck.

Spyder Garage

Still in shop brp has been good with dealer no codes ruff running. Losing one cyln. Channing plugs and wires seemed to be running a bit rich. Will see tomorrow if plugs and wires helps also hoses and emissions being gone over
    JIM EVANS

Spyder Garage

update so bike still in shop hopefully will get it back monday... dealer has been good BRP they need to get a handle on how to service these machines

so was losing one cyln.. brp said to reprogram... was reprogrammed all fuel pressures good still losing one cyln adn running rough in first gear and when slowing down would die... told dealer to change plugs and wires still persists,,, then brp connects to the bike and downloads a fix.. still not working.. speaking with dealer good fuel pressure new plugs and wires.. let switch a coil and see if anything happens.. ok when coiled moved that cyln dies... brp sends new coil... still have 1st cyln dying... i call brp they said oh have not heard from dealer bull as i had just gotten off phone with them after they called brp... so i went thru stuff with brp problem has to be in ecm , that ecm is corrupted and needs a new unit and it needs to be overnighted as we are going on three weeks... dealer then calls brp they tell dealer that their download had a corrupt file and screwed the ecm... never told the dealer that a week ago... so they overnighted a new ecm to dealer they got that on friday pm went to dealer on sat new ecm in and dealer was reprogramming it manually not thru brp as they corrupted the old one... so monday we will see if everything is working brp said they had never seen this before.. i know that when i owned my honda dealership that if i had a problem like this with a wing.. the service rep would have been at my door and working on the fix in my shop.. had a talk with a supervisor at brp and that they need to handle service issues like this in better manner than just an email and phoning the dealer back and forth

update to come
    JIM EVANS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR ISSUES

It sounds like some progress is being made ... .... The level of attention and service and response has been better than some here have experienced ................. But I do agree that it is extremely frustrating when you would rather be riding .....Hope things get fixed soon ..........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow!
    This one sure made them sweat; didn't it?
    I wonder how BRP could send a "corrupted file", to a dealership?
    Wouldn't that be about like your Doctor prescribing rat poison to you?

Spyder Garage

30 days in shop and they still don't have a clue. New fuel pump last week now a test for internal valve issues. Cust service no help. Next week if it's not figured out either bad valves. Could mean new engine or if brp keeps dragging. Lemon law could be filed
    JIM EVANS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do the Lemon Laws apply to motorcycles in your State?

Spyder Garage

Yes in CT it does.
    JIM EVANS

Spyder Garage

just to keep folks informed bike is still in the shop going on the 6th week.

it is frustrating as no one at dealership or the tech gurus at brp can figure out the problem so Friday they overnighted new coils, plugs and wires and a new wiring harness to the dealer

dealer was instructed to install new plugs wires and coil packs now we had already replaced the same things on one cyln in the second week , told the team leader and customer service manager don't think that will fix the problem alas yesterday afternoon they were installed and no change.

so to finish out their day yesterday the dealer started the process to replace the wiring harness and team leader at brp told me will have an answer from that process by 1pm today.. I hope this is the issue as I have had the discussion with brp about replacing the unit at lemon law in ct is 30 days in shop for same problem as stated going on 6 weeks now.

don't really want to replace the unit with all the custom paint and accessories as if they replaced the unit would have to switch all plastic and accessories cb, chrome etc..

so hoping that there is an electrical issue in the harness as engine is sound with no issues

so here is what has been done

4 spark plugs
    4 wires
    4 coil packs
    fuel pump
    main computer
    computer resets, hystest valve checks, clyn compression test elec system tests and prob even a colonoscopy

the brp folks have been nice and understanding but if this latest stuff doesn't work I believe more drastic measures are going to have to proceed
    the good thing is I have direct contact numbers and emails for actual humans that have some decision making authority
    JIM EVANS