Spyder Garage

Default Brake light problem solved

2013 STL brake light problem solved. Brake light would stay on after stopping, would have to lift up on the pedal to get it to go out. This is a known problem, my dealer "Water World Boat & Powersport" in Medford Oregon replaced under warrantee the brake lever and the problem was solved, took about 2 1/2 hours.

Also, while driving there to get this work done, I got a VSS Fault and it went into limp mode. Before that happened, I couldn't get the cruise control to engage. Silly me, when the brake light got stuck on while driving, it would let the cruise control engage! AND the system thought I was riding the brake, so it went into limp mode. All this didn't occur to me at the time So anyone out there with this issue, beware, if I had just made sure the brake was off, I wouldn't have had the additional issues.

This dealer is good, they have at least one mechanic that knows what they are doing. They are not cheap though! Typical maintenance is $330, when my back tire needed replacement after only 9.5K miles it was $500.
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Spyder Garage

What is the culprit? Fyi I only caught 1 time on mine & kept inspecting that month but nothing else. Was there a bulletin, maybe my dealer fixed with something else??

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks....

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how the problem was solved. Glad they found the faulty part and got you back on the road. this is not the time to be down....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by dginoregon View Post
    2013 STL brake light problem solved. Brake light would stay on after stopping, would have to lift up on the pedal to get it to go out. This is a known problem, my dealer "Water World Boat & Powersport" in Medford Oregon replaced under warrantee the brake lever and the problem was solved, took about 2 1/2 hours.

Also, while driving there to get this work done, I got a VSS Fault and it went into limp mode. Before that happened, I couldn't get the cruise control to engage. Silly me, when the brake light got stuck on while driving, it would let the cruise control engage! AND the system thought I was riding the brake, so it went into limp mode. All this didn't occur to me at the time So anyone out there with this issue, beware, if I had just made sure the brake was off, I wouldn't have had the additional issues.

This dealer is good, they have at least one mechanic that knows what they are doing. They are not cheap though! Typical maintenance is $330, when my back tire needed replacement after only 9.5K miles it was $500.
    Talk about getting bent over. You actually were okay with 500 dollars for a rear tire replacement. Yikes. I bought my tire off the net for 82 and took it to my dealer and they charged me a little over 120 for labor to install and put the belt at proper tension.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    Talk about getting bent over. You actually were okay with 500 dollars for a rear tire replacement. Yikes. I bought my tire off the net for 82 and took it to my dealer and they charged me a little over 120 for labor to install and put the belt at proper tension.

Yeah, it was a little bit of a surprise to say the least. Next time I will be more prepared and either do it myself or find another dealer to put it on for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    What is the culprit? Fyi I only caught 1 time on mine & kept inspecting that month but nothing else. Was there a bulletin, maybe my dealer fixed with something else??

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS
    It was a mechanical problem, they replaced the actual arm that the brake pedal is attached to. So beware, if you can't use your cruise control, or you get a VSS Fault, your brake maybe on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ann's brake light is still coming on after 3 visits to the dealer! I'd like to know what the new brake lever did to fix your problem. What's different about the new brake lever you had installed? If you don't know, could you call the service department and find out?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Ann's brake light is still coming on after 3 visits to the dealer! I'd like to know what the new brake lever did to fix your problem. What's different about the new brake lever you had installed? If you don't know, could you call the service department and find out?
    I called the service dept., the manager said he didn't know, just that Can Am sends a new updated piece to fix the problem. He said he would have to lay them side by side to see the difference. I saw the piece before they installed it, had a gold tint to it, had lots of notches etc... I suppose you could find out from Can Am, to make sure your dealer was installing the correct piece? Sorry I can't tell you more than that. Obviously a slight design error!