Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Manual vs automatic transmission.

Seeing that my wife and I are new riders I need thoughts on one vs the other.
    The clutch I tried on a new F3 not running was almost to hard to use.

Spyder Garage

I am kind of busted and went with the

Spyder Garage

Being new riders, get the semi-auto, so much less to think about. Believe me, you'll be plenty busy enough just learning the Spyder & the road.

Good luck and as you may know, pictures are a requirement! Kidding, figured I'd give it a try!

Pat

Spyder Garage

I am busted up and went with the SE6 and love it. it will downshift on its own but you have to do the upshifts. There are people that love the extra connection to the bike you get with a manual transmission but I don't miss it at all.

Spyder Garage

For two wheels, a clutch, and having front and rear brakes, does make for a fun ride. I couldn't imagine a clutchless motorcycle. That said, we have an RT that is auto (bought used, auto not by choice) and I would not get a manual Spyder. I love not having to worry about a clutch. I still ride my sport bikes, so I get the motorcycle experience, but the auto, three wheels, and comforts make the RT an enjoyable experience.
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    You'll probably love the automatic. It makes it makes riding really easy
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

The manual transmission and clutch seems to feel more "normal" on a two-wheel motorcycle than it does on the Spyder. My RT has the SE5 electronic trans and I love it. I've ridden an F3 with the manual transmission a few times and to me it just felt "odd", and a bit uncomfortable. Of course I realize that other opinions may vary.
    Last edited by robmorg; 04-19-2016 at 04:25 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You answered your own question.....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The F3 Clutch is a very Hard Pull compared to my 2012 RT with clutch!
    If I were to buy a F3 AGAIN I would get the Automatic!!
    I guess BRP Made the F3 for Tough Guys and You have to Pay for Valving to Make the clutch Easy to operate like the RT model.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The automatic is not automatic in the automotive sense. It is a manual transmission with hydraulically controlled clutching and electronically controlled engine speed control during shifting. You still have to manually actuate the shift process to go up the gears by hitting the paddle. The only real automatic part of it is downshifting. It does automatically downshift as you slow down and come to a stop, but you also can manually make it downshift by hitting the paddle.\

The SE means Shift-Electric.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only one that you've got to look at in the mirror; is you!
    Go with whichever system:
    Is easiest for you both to use
    and..
    Makes you happiest!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SE VS. MANUAL

Been riding Mtc's for 60 years ....the Spyder is the ONLY semi-auto I have ever had .........and I would NEVER go back to a MANUAL.............NEVER..........BRP has a winner in the one they designed.....jmho.....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-19-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess I am in the minority here. Both my Spyders have been manuals and I love em. Just feel like I am more a part of the bike than with the Semi-Automatics. I have also seen a number of posts about having trouble with the semis as compared to the manuals. Having said that, it all depends on what you are comfortable with.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Mike. Love the SE and won't have one without it. (Well, maybe I would, but not by choice.)
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I guess I am in the minority here.
    So... what's wrong with being a little bit "Special"?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I vote for the semi automatic. I love it!! Try both out. Good luck with your decision!

Spyder Garage

Default Manual for me

I've only driven the semi-Auto for one day as I had a RSS during the Spyder course I did at Georgian College . I found myself still downshifting the auto with a little tweek of the throttle because it made it much smoother ...... But since I've been on motorcycles since I was about 12 I find the clutch and foot shifter more natural than working the paddle . I suppose it would become routine after a few weeks . I found my 2008 GS has a bit more balls than the RSS auto as well ... Could have just been that bike ?

Spyder Garage

Default Your not....

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I guess I am in the minority here. Both my Spyders have been manuals and I love em. Just feel like I am more a part of the bike than with the Semi-Automatics. I have also seen a number of posts about having trouble with the semis as compared to the manuals. Having said that, it all depends on what you are comfortable with.
    With me we're a crowd... I love the control, being able to pull the clutch and coast downhill, use my engine compression and save my brakes (33,000 miles and still within spec's) sliding the clutch for that extra leap to get my butt outta the way. Once rolling upshifting I don't even use the clutch and the asist makes it very easy compared to other bikes....I'm with you guys.....but for a new comer learning to do different things with each limb can be dificult.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You should test drive each flavor to see what you like best. Cost is about $1500 more for the semi auto.

I drove two wheelers with clutches since 1965. Of the five I have owned, only one had a manual--the semi's were not available here until 2009.

Performance wise, no difference IMO. A clutch was a deal breaker for both ladies that I taught to ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    With me we're a crowd... I love the control, being able to pull the clutch and coast downhill, use my engine compression and save my brakes (33,000 miles and still within spec's) sliding the clutch for that extra leap to get my butt outta the way. Once rolling upshifting I don't even use the clutch and the asist makes it very easy compared to other bikes....I'm with you guys.....but for a new comer learning to do different things with each limb can be dificult.

I'm with the manual crew, and a fine crew we are!!! Didn't Lamont post something about there being a fix for the F3 super hard clutch? As I remember the 2015 had the really hard to pull clutch and they changed it for 2016 and made the parts for the fix available for purchase.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Manual. .. because I'm a control freak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have a manual and enjoy shifting gears. It feels more like a bike to me. Like a sports car...who wants a sports car that's automatic? Wheres the fun in that? At least IMO! lol

Spyder Garage

I vote for the semi-auto.
    the only down side is leaving the bike in gear will NOT STOP
    it from rolling.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

this is a loaded question like 87 or 91 octane. Your going to get 50/50. I like the manual for two reason, one it just makes it feel more like a bike but the bigger one is the lack of being able to clutch and coast. When pulling up to a stop on mine i just clutch it and coast in and brake as needed. I test rode the semi for a while and with the semi auto you have to play with the throttle and "drive" it all the way to the stop light or you will come up short or rolling to slow. There is also the fact if you want to move it in the garage or whatever with a manual you can just click it into neutral without even putting the key in, with the semi auto you have to start it up and put it into neutral if im not mistaken. Plus its more oil, more service and one more thing to go wrong. If the clutch is not adjustable or fixable as someone else said on the F3 i would be surprised. The clutch on my 2015 RT pulls fine
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

I love the Se6 I ride... I still feel a part of it because I'm still shifting and I purposely downshift... Just with my hand instead of my foot... I still have the feeling of control and don't miss the clutch.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!