Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMO, the parking brake is a minor inconvenience that is far outweighed by the ease of shifting the SE. Quite a few new owners whose experience has only been with manual shifting and who have posted here have said it took them only minutes (slight exaggeration) to make the change and would never go back to a manual shift. I can think of no good reason to stick with manual shifting. And just so you know, the SE model does not have an automatic transmission, per se. It is the same transmission as the manual shift. The only difference is the clutch and shifting mechanism are electro/hydraulic. You can manually make the shift up or down. Down shifting as you come to a stop is automatic but you can also manually downshift if you want to before the auto downshift occurs. You will always be in 1st gear when you come to a stop.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

After 60+ years on two wheels, i test rode the SE6 ('auto') and fell in love! That was in '15. Still love it! Admittedly, sometimes i miss the leans AND i absolutely LOVE that is does NOT fall over. AND i do not have to avoid gravel parking lots. The only thing i 'miss' (sort of) is the front brake handle. I may have to find a job, tho - fell in love with the 20 RT, but the pandemic trashed the income.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I seem to be on the odd side - I have an RTS with the semi-auto and wish I'd gone for the standard RT with the manual. There are things I like to do when riding that I can't do with the auto - when merging on the highway, sometimes I like to wind out second, hit third, then when I'm up to speed, ease off and bypass the gears to sixth. Can't do that with and SE. Also when riding back roads and coming to and stop, intersection, or what have you, just downshift to neutral and coast up. Again, not with the SE. dropping the clutch when taking off doesn't work either, the SE slips the clutch to get you going.

Overall it's a nice system, but I'm a bit confused. If it's down shift for you, why no go all the way with a full DCT/Auto?

As always, my opinion is worth everything you paid for it.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange