Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Negative & Positive

Tore into our 2015 RT-S this Sunday for the first rear tire change. Going to the General Altimax RT-43 215/60R15. Watched the Finless video (thanks Bob), searched all over the forum, wrote out all my torques and instructions and then dived in. I successfully got the wheel off, pulled out the drive sprocket from the rubber retainers and looked down expecting to see the hub removal bolts. Nada. At that moment, I realized that the wheel was a solid, one piece without a bolt on hub. I was so focused I never even noticed this until I was at this point. So, cancel my idea to go to a car tire place for mounting. Called a local Can-Am dealer and took it over on Sunday for work and pickup the following day when service came in. Monday morning, they called and confirmed, 3 hours later called and said "done", at lunch I drove over. Paperwork, off to the cashier, paid my fees, back to grab the wheel, looked down and saw, SAME OLD TIRE!!! After a bit of research, the lady behind the counter said "Well, he put the paperwork in the done basket so I assumed it was ready". Had to go back to the cashier for a refund while they determined that they would not mount a non-stock tire onto the wheel. I respect that decision, but not all of the poor customer service in between. Fun Bike Center in Kearny Mesa, never again.

On to Sears. No can do. Same at Discount Tire. Nobody can fit the wheel with the solid hub. So on to a different local bike dealer, newly set up to sell Spyders (long term for other brands), Veys Powersports in El Cajon. No problem!! Got there at 5:30 on a Monday and they did it while I waited! Found out that they have a new technician out of Northern CA who is BRP certified as well as having gotten another on site technician BRP certified as well. During a conversation waiting for the tire, found out that they also have the laser alignment kit!!! So for anybody in the San Diego area (or further) our options are getting better. Again, hats off to Veys Powersports in El Cajon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

Been there a couple of times, once for their opening and once to check out their service department. Live close by but had my tires mounted at Evans tire on Jamaica and Chase. They do seem to have a good service department. No use for Fun Bike even if I got the spyder there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't know they changed the rear wheel. Good info.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Been there a couple of times, once for their opening and once to check out their service department. Live close by but had my tires mounted at Evans tire on Jamaica and Chase. They do seem to have a good service department. No use for Fun Bike even if I got the spyder there...
    Didn't try Evans but both Discount and Sears said that they didn't have the machines that could handle a wheel where the hub extends past the width of the tire on both sides. If it was the older style where the hub unbolted then it probably wouldn't have been an issue. Enjoyed talking to the techs at Veys Powersports and they were also aware of Spyderlovers. I think they might work out pretty well.
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Did you take the bearings out
    Not sure but I think the tire shop can change tire on the one piece hub if the bearings have been removed
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Your right mine is a 12..RS...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Did you take the bearings out
    Not sure but I think the tire shop can change tire on the one piece hub if the bearings have been removed
    No, bearings stayed in but both shops said that the hub simply extended too far in both directions to fit on any of their equipment.

BTW, the technician at Veys said that he could change the tire without removing the brake rotor. Good to know for next time which I hope will be longer with the General Altimax since I only got about 7300 miles out of the stock Kenda.

Spyder Garage

Yet another thread to bring to light how handy a customer approved/recomended list of dealers would be Here & on spydercodes We can see a list of BRP dealers & certified levels per BRP's criteria, but reviews like this are needed

What yall think?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Great timing. I also just noticed the change in the wheels. My 2014 RT has the 3 spoke wheel while my 2015 RT has the 6 spoke wheel. Just when I got it down to a science changing the tires on the old setup, they have to change things!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Spyder Garage

Wow.....
    I had no idea they changed the rear rim design!
    Odd this has not come up before here if a 2014 had them.....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Local Walmart tire center installed my general altimax on 2015 RTS rear wheel.
    They initially said they couldn't, I urged them to try on their maçhine and they said go figure it just fits.
    Added balance beads and all is well in Spyderville.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    Local Walmart tire center installed my general altimax on 2015 RTS rear wheel.
    They initially said they couldn't, I urged them to try on their maçhine and they said go figure it just fits.
    Added balance beads and all is well in Spyderville.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    IMHO...........If Wally World can do it ................anybody should be able to do it .............Mike

Spyder Garage

A friend has a No-Mar manual tire changer the works great on the Sypder wheels.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Spyder Garage

Default tire

I just replaced my rear tire at 8k on my RTs. Discount Tire said They needed me to remove the brake disc.

Did that, but when they went to balance it it wouldn't fit their balancer with bearings in. So they said no charge for the labor.

Took it to the local Honda dealer, they were able to balance it. Cost me $20.00

Valuable lesson learned.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    I just replaced my rear tire at 8k on my RTs. Discount Tire said They needed me to remove the brake disc.

Did that, but when they went to balance it it wouldn't fit their balancer with bearings in. So they said no charge for the labor.

Took it to the local Honda dealer, they were able to balance it. Cost me $20.00

Valuable lesson learned.
    We either take tires to a local motorcycle tire store or now to my dealer who recently bought a mounting machine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622