Thread: Shoei Headwave

Spyder Garage

Default Shoei Headwave

Shoei has come out with a new helmet that gives you "surround sound" by placing speakers throughout the helmet. I know I am in the great minority here, as most Spyders come with built in music, but I have never once wished I had music while riding. Not when riding down a country road, a long straight interstate and definitely not when riding in the city.

With distracted driving at an all time high we need to be more focused on our riding than ever before. Many of us are new riders and old busted up guys like me. Either way the last thing we need to do is add our own distractions into the mix.

Shoei makes great helmets and I just bought one last month. Whether or not it will save my life one day remains to be seen but I can guarantee you I will do everything in my power to insure it does not have to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    Shoei has come out with a new helmet that gives you "surround sound" by placing speakers throughout the helmet. I know I am in the great minority here, as most Spyders come with built in music, but I have never once wished I had music while riding. Not when riding down a country road, a long straight interstate and definitely not when riding in the city.

With distracted driving at an all time high we need to be more focused on our riding than ever before. Many of us are new riders and old busted up guys like me. Either way the last thing we need to do is add our own distractions into the mix.

Shoei makes great helmets and I just bought one last month. Whether or not it will save my life one day remains to be seen but I can guarantee you I will do everything in my power to insure it does not have to.
    I agree.
    I ride for freedom
    I'll check my phone if I remember to bring it when I have to refuel.
    I find my way if I get lost that's half the fun.
    Yes we are in the minority but maybe enjoying it a lot more IMHO

Spyder Garage

Try to have music on. The change in music I believe actually helps me stay alert. Especially on those long straight roads that can be borrrring.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

If I wanted to hear surround sound, I just go to my man cave. I have speakers in my helmet and if they aren't placed in the sweet spot, I cant hear them much at all so I wouldn't know how one could hear a speaker that is several inches front or rear.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Sorry, but the music keeps me awake and alert. It allows me to filter out all the mono noises and relax.
    Turn by turn navigation also makes my ride safer.
    Being able to talk with my passenger is priceless and sorry but safer than trying to turn around, yelling to each other.
    I don't take calls or pay attention to notifications.

Also, speakers in the helmet are safer for everyone than ear buds that often block out more important noises such as sirens.

Spyder Garage

Default Shoei?

Are your talking about the Headwave Tag capsule or something Shoei specific? I don't know of any Shoei product like this. The Headwave Tag works with all/most helmets and doesn't use speakers, it transmits via vibration throughout the helmet. There are a few reviews about it, here is one of them.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Are your talking about the Headwave Tag capsule or something Shoei specific? I don't know of any Shoei product like this. The Headwave Tag works with all/most helmets and doesn't use speakers, it transmits via vibration throughout the helmet. There are a few reviews about it, here is one of them.
    I'd consider something like that if they perfect it and make it work above 55 mph.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

i ride with the radio all the time, i have no problem hearing it at whatever speed i am doing.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i ride with the radio all the time, i have no problem hearing it at whatever speed i am doing.

And I can't hear

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Don't know if I want to admit this without worrying people but I don't listen to music when I'm riding as I just hum/sing along to the music in my head. Obviously I have to try and remember not to do this when my daughters on the back as we've got a voice activated intercom.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love to hear my tunes while I'm riding. Love my sena Bluetooth.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I love to hear my tunes while I'm riding. Love my sena Bluetooth.

Listen to some Godsmack or Five Finger Death Punch while riding? Yes please!

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents make that a dime. Music makes the ride even better. love different music for the mountains, in town or on the highway.
    kenn

Spyder Garage

I love music when riding adds to the fun! Also keeps me from listening for something being wrong as I tend to do... Is that a normal engine sound? I do that too much lol.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default We're all right....

This kind of diverse opinion is what makes things interesting...and we're all right for our own way of doing things.
    I love music, and have a Sena 10U in my Shoei Neotec, but don't feel that I'm safe with music or phone blue toothed in (is that a word?)
    So the only communication I get via the headset is GPS turn-by-turn when I need it. Not that there's anything wrong with music in helmets......

jb
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Don't know if I want to admit this without worrying people but I don't listen to music when I'm riding as I just hum/sing along to the music in my head. Obviously I have to try and remember not to do this when my daughters on the back as we've got a voice activated intercom.
    That's what I do, too. The acoustics in my helmet are better than in my shower!

But if I could stand anything against my ears I'd have music, instead.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Got to have my "SALSA" music whether, I'm driving or riding!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to Agree

Shoei doesn't admit to making anything like that? And I am sure they would if they did! The mire music the better!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

My bad. You are correct. They were showing it on a Shoei and I thought it was built in. Glad to know Shoei wouldn't do that.

Spyder Garage

In my car, where I do listen to music, if I am in a tense situation such as super hard rain and standing water I will turn my radio down so I can focus solely on the task at hand. I don't think that if I turned it up it would help me focus better.

Spyder Garage

I have a Sena in my Shoei (say five times fast). I happily use it for music and talking to passengers/fellow riders (as noted above, being able to talk to your pillion is FAR safer than hand signals and helmet-thumps). Would never use it for a phone, and I'm too broke for a new GPS .

My accommodation for safety is that I don't play music in town very often, i.e. while commuting on my bikes the tunes stay off. But once I get out into open road and twistyland, I've got no issues with listening to some music.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Below is a video of a nice ride on a country road where a dog runs out in front of a rider and he goes down. The second rider almost get crushed by a truck. It could just as well been a dear or something that would destroy a Spyder. You can never let your guard down when riding. Never.

Warning: Really bad language

Here is a better angle. Again, really bad language.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fISlLjzHuxk
    Last edited by TommyBwell; 04-19-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm okay with the radio on the Spyder, but wouldn't want music in my helmet. On two wheels, I don't ride with any kind of distraction (music, gps, etc).
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)