Spyder Garage

Default Utopia or Show Chrome

I'm looking at getting a drivers backrest and still have my stock seat, but just looking at pictures of the brands just isn't helping me decide. Is one more comfy than the other ? So i'm turning to the place were people come to get expert opinions. You guys that do don't realize how well they help people like me decide on things. Thank you..
    Last edited by threefingers2; 04-17-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

We have two spyders.
    My wife has the ShowChrome and I have the Utopia.

Mounting wise they are a horse apiece.

I recently purchased the Utopia and had some problems obtaining the right mounting hardware for my Comfort Seat but to be fair after 7 email exchanges, they sent the right parts.

I'd probably go with Show Chrome.

Spyder Garage

Both my wife and I have had Utopia backrests (on our RT's) and loved them. They're a breeze to install, when you order the right product. We now both have Ultimate seats.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

​Any one more comfy than the other ?
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    We have two spyders.
    My wife has the ShowChrome and I have the Utopia.

Mounting wise they are a horse apiece.

I recently purchased the Utopia and had some problems obtaining the right mounting hardware for my Comfort Seat but to be fair after 7 email exchanges, they sent the right parts.

I'd probably go with Show Chrome.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by threefingers2 View Post
    ​Any one more comfy than the other ?
    I deliberately didn't include that because I have only ridden my wife's Spyder for very short distances.
    So I doubt if there is a huge difference.

Both came with nice pouches, the hardware while not exactly same are pretty equal.
    The Utopia stitching, IMHO matches the stock stitching a bit better.

Spyder Garage

Default Well...

Hope you are keeping a record of who likes what but our problem is we don't have many that have had them both so they opine on the one they have. You need to find an event club or group and see if there are those for you to try out. Good luck I'm no help if I had a backrest and used it I couldn't reach the bars...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I would love to see and try out things for my Sidee before i purchace them but in my state or my area there are not very many if any spyder clubs or get togethers to see differnt peoples equipment. My wife and i just got our RT this winter and i have been trying to get spyder riders to get together, i even put out an ad to see if anybody would want to help start a spyder club in North Dakota and to see if we could get all 3 wheeled cycles to be in our big 4th of July parade but not a single reply. So i have to ask for peoples opinions and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Hope you are keeping a record of who likes what but our problem is we don't have many that have had them both so they opine on the one they have. You need to find an event club or group and see if there are those for you to try out. Good luck I'm no help if I had a backrest and used it I couldn't reach the bars...

Spyder Garage

Show chrome has 2 models! 158 n 168 the 158 is only 8 3/8 " wide the 168 is 12 3/8 " wide n many people have complained about the 158 model been too narrow while others complaint about the 168 been to wide!
    The utopia is 10 3/8 " wide which IMHO is the perfect size! Keep in mind that the prices between show chome and utopia are different, show chrome been the most economical!, but utopia can match your seat fabric!
    Sorry I can't give you my opinion on the comfort, because I don't have either one, but I'm buying an ultimate seat with the utopia backrest! Happy hunting!

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have a web site link for Show Chrome?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're just gonna have to come to SpyderFest, and talk to the owners of both backrests...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Boy we sure would like yo come to syderfest but for our first road trip we are planning to go to Deadwood, South Dakota to the 3 wheeler rally which is about 300 miles away for us, that way we can see what we might need to do differently for a longer trip like Spyderfest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You're just gonna have to come to SpyderFest, and talk to the owners of both backrests...

Spyder Garage

Default Another Option

I wanted a driver's backrest for my RS, which is set up a lot like an RT with saddlebags and a top case with a passenger backrest. The wife has the driver's backrest on her RT-Limited and if we ryde two-up on it the backrest makes it a bit tight as we aren't too awfully skinny. When two-up the passenger IS the backrest for the driver on my RS or her RT with her driver's backrest removed.

Based on this I didn't really want just a driver's backrest so I ordered the Bikers Friend bag/backrest. Normally we each ryde our own Spyder and if we needed to go two-up I can move the bag/backrest to the luggage rack on the top of my top case. This gives me a backrest plus extra storage for more stuff!

http://www.bikersfriend.com/

Here is a page with a couple of Spyders on it:
    http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/saddlebag.htm

I just ordered it so I can't give a review on it yet.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default Show Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Does anyone have a web site link for Show Chrome?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    http://www.bigbikeparts.com/shop.aspx?GroupGuid=16

Spyder Garage

I can't add value to the discussion of the 2 mentioned since I went straight from stock seat to Ultimate seat with backrest, however I would add the following to consider... Look at the adjustability of the backrest. The Ultimate backrest adjusts front/back and I really had to dial it in, so you may find if one is more adjustable or one is and one isn't at all I would go with the best adjustment as you may find that makes a difference in comfort.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lou49 View Post
    Sorry I can't give you my opinion on the comfort, because I don't have either one, but I'm buying an ultimate seat with the utopia backrest! Happy hunting!
    Don't know if that was a typo, but if not - why would you do that? Why wouldn't you use the Ultimate backrest with the Ultimate seat? They match perfectly,and are made specifically for that seat, adjust and work well.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

TE=SpyderSteveFL;1118475]Don't know if that was a typo, but if not - why would you do that? Why wouldn't you use the Ultimate backrest with the Ultimate seat? They match perfectly,and are made specifically for that seat, adjust and work well.[/QUOTE
    That's what the seller was selling! That's what I bought!
    Last edited by lou49; 04-18-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Don't know if that was a typo, but if not - why would you do that? Why wouldn't you use the Ultimate backrest with the Ultimate seat? They match perfectly,and are made specifically for that seat, adjust and work well.
    (Correction) the seat comes with an ultimate backrest, not an ultimate! My apologies!

Spyder Garage

Default Good topic.

Have you decided what you your going to get. if not head up to lake George I am sure vendors will be there will have one that you like. I am looking also...

Spyder Garage

Another brand to consider. I guess they are brand new to the market and I have seen no reviews yet.
    http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...and-passenger/
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT