Spyder Garage

Default I lost a Panel…

…and I’m really upset. For now, I'm going to ride without the other side on until my replacement come in. I was heading North on Route 17 (South of route 301) after leaving Norfolk Va. on Saturday just in case anyone is out that way and see a Pearl panel lying on the side on the road.

There are many threads on the forum about this topic and I like “Jim & Teresa” post #4 method of securing
    panels using a Paracord. Jim quick question, what connectors did you use?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?66153-RT-panels&highlight=panel+lost

There was another forum thread that discussed getting parts from “CheapCyclePart.com”, so if anyone else is interested in 2014 RT LTD parts:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...ited-se6-parts

Also, here is the shopping list for a RH Side Panel replacement ($276.39 +S/H):

- Chrome Side Panel Cap Kit Model-RT LTD (Part #: 219400195): $84.99

- Torx Screw K40 X 16 (Part #: 250000294): $1.99

- RH Side Panel Foam (Part #: 518324752): $14.42

- White RH Lateral Side Panel Model-White (Part #: 705009000): $174.99
    Last edited by jmurray; 04-18-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always suggest that if you have had your Spyder serviced you should take a walk around and be sure that all the panels are properly secured before you leave the dealer. If you don't line the panel up properly you will push the grommet through and that is how you lose one.

We spray the grommet holes with Windex before reinstalling them, the Windex lubes the hole temporarily so you can install it easily and then it evaporates. Some dealers like to put grease on the grommets which makes their job easier but it will allow the panels to come off when you don't want them to.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Ann's Windex use is a real keeper of a suggestion; the pins virtually jump into the grommets with Windex. Remember, the most important part of the panel check is the interior clip just rearward of the highest point on the side panel. It snaps into place with a very distinct CLICK.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I just went through this. They are now secured with zip ties.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Ann's Windex use is a real keeper of a suggestion; the pins virtually jump into the grommets with Windex. Remember, the most important part of the panel check is the interior clip just rearward of the highest point on the side panel. It snaps into place with a very distinct CLICK.
    Curious, that rear clip you mention that secures with a click. I do not recall it functioning that way. By design, it appears to be hook type setup that you engage first, then press the posts into the rubber grommets.

Yes the Windex can work well, however like anything with that panel, you also must be certain that the grommets do not get unseated and pushed inside the body work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmurray View Post
    …and I’m really upset. For now, I'm going to ride without the other side on until my replacement come in. I was heading North on Route 17 (South of route 301) after leaving Norfolk Va. on Saturday just in case anyone is out that way and see a Pearl panel lying on the side on the road.

There are many threads on the forum about this topic and I like “Jim & Teresa” post #4 method of securing

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?66153-RT-panels&highlight=panel+lost

There was another forum thread that discussed getting parts from “CheapCyclePart.com”, so if anyone else is interested in 2014 RT LTD parts:

Nevermind, I found the same part numbers for less at PowerSports Warehouse.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Baker Built Air Wings will also keep the panel in place, plus they give you more air flow control!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just a heads up for cheaper parts

I have found that Powersportswarehouse.com has the cheapest prices. I have ordered body parts from them and they are perfect factory replacements, not off brand, or Euro parts as some places are.
    Looks like they could save you $69.11.

Shipping was cheap, fast, and they were great to deal with.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 04-18-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Here's how I do it....

Ever since they came out with this method of attaching panels this has been a problem. Motorcycle side panels would do the same and we got to the point where we would remove the gromets and apply contact cement of silicone to secure them a bit better....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

another thread someone found a panel but its not yours..May want to contact PMK before he throws it away. Wrong color too..

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Curious, that rear clip you mention that secures with a click. I do not recall it functioning that way. By design, it appears to be hook type setup that you engage first, then press the posts into the rubber grommets.

Yes the Windex can work well, however like anything with that panel, you also must be certain that the grommets do not get unseated and pushed inside the body work.
    You are correct for my 2015 RTL, the hook engages first, then it pops into the grommets.
    First service from the dealer they didn't have the right side hooked, even told me that a clip was broken so it wouldn't stay in place right. The tech was trying to install in the grommets first, then get the hook to catch. I popped it off, engaged the hook first, and the the grommets. No broken clip, all is good!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

After one came off on my 2012, I put Velcro on the back of them both, no more problems.
    I have had no problems with my 2015 but will check them after svc. this Friday.
    mtbear

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I stand corrected. I watched the second half of Shawn Smoak's 1330 oil change video to see how he reattached the side panel. He inserted the grommets lower front first, lower rear second and upper rear last. He then moved the panel slightly rearward, engaged the clip and recentered the panel. I tested his way on my right panel and there is enough flex in the panel to do it as he showed -- the method I will begin using immediately to reduce the risk of damaging the hook/clip. Will do the final check that way too anytime one's removed at a shop. The easy check that it's hooked is a one finger tug at the top point of the panel. A slide is better than a snap, particularly considering a broken hook/clip can cost close to three Bens with S+H. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If it was the left side I would give you the extra chrome panel cap that came with mine when I lost the one on my 2013.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I have found that Powersportswarehouse.com has the cheapest prices.
    I would still suggest you contact your dealer placing your order. I also had several online carts filled and ready to pull the trigger then called the dealer service department who has me in their DB as a customer and offered a better deal by $20 when I told them it was cheaper online.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default SOLVED MY PANEL EXPERIENCE

I had my left panel blow off last year on my 13 RTL.... I made the mistake of lubing the 3 fingers that insert into the openings.... The result was goodby panel because of the lube... Was lucky to retreive it with the only damage done was on the corners being scraped....a little white paint and I was back in business....

To solve future problems, on the upper corner toward the front of the bike, I drilled a hole in the panel that matched a stainless steel machine tread bolt with a torq top....The second hole on the inner panel was smaller than the first hole and I proceeded to tap into it so that the bolt could fit snug....I used a stainless steel washer and lock washer to secure it....Both sides were done this way.... The end result was no more blown panels....

Spyder Garage

I did it with two plastic coated 30lb test fishing leaders on each side - and know from experience that it holds at 70 MPH. Cheap and easy. I did it like this:

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (61.7 KB, 96 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (34.3 KB, 97 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (62.8 KB, 93 views)

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What a pain....

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I always suggest that if you have had your Spyder serviced you should take a walk around and be sure that all the panels are properly secured before you leave the dealer. .

I learned this after my first oil change. I was riding off into the sunset and notice the panel you remove for oil checks isn't secured. Fortunately the sunset included a red light, during which I checked everything out. And secured that panel.

Nobody's perfect, I know. I'm a nurse and we double check important things with another nurse to prevent accidents. Maybe shops should do that, too.

On the other hand, medical professionals still make enough errors, even with double checking.

On the other hand, I'm running out of hands.

I really don't want to disassemble my Spyder and tie it back together.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779