Spyder Garage

Default Ordered a luggage rack today

Finally broke down and decided to just order a rack for the RT trunk. Got it from Show Chrome. Now I sure hope it gets here in time to have it for the ride to Spyderfest. WooHoo...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Good luck...

will be nice if you carry a lot of stuff on your trip to the fest...It is a easy install and nice rack....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Alternative rack

I'm waiting for my Rivco chrome rack. Should be here soon ( I hope). It does not block the High Mount tail light.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    Finally broke down and decided to just order a rack for the RT trunk. Got it from Show Chrome. Now I sure hope it gets here in time to have it for the ride to Spyderfest. WooHoo...
    It's a good rack, but be aware of two things.

1. If you plan to add a high tail light, you will need the post extensions.

2. The balance cylinder for the trunk lid may not be strong enough to hold the lid up with the rack mounted, even if nothing is on the rack. Bob Finless has a video on Youtube about a cheap fix for this.

Enjoy your trip.
    Last edited by Grandpot; 04-17-2016 at 04:11 PM.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Rack

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    I'm waiting for my Rivco chrome rack. Should be here soon ( I hope). It does not block the High Mount tail light.

Kaos
    I just installed the Rivco Black rack. Love the way it doesn't block the high mount lights.
    The level rack doesn't have any effect on the trunk staying open.
    http://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-mot...-rt-black.html

I am not associated with Rivco in any way, just a happy customer.
    2015 RT-S SE Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

If your shock is weak it won't hold it up, but I new shock will hold up the new luggage rack. I like my Show Chrome rack. I just replaced my shock. Bruce

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    If your shock is weak it won't hold it up, but I new shock will hold up the new luggage rack. I like my Show Chrome rack. I just replaced my shock. Bruce

I just installed a second shock so problem solved X2

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Just tried to install one for a friend. Had to send it back because it would have warped the trunk plastic. When you receive it set the legs on a flat surface. If all 4 legs contact the surface at the same time it is good to install. The one we got had the top left leg missing the table by 3/8 of an inch and you could rock it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips everyone. I might add a second shock, but probably not the third brake light for a while. Should be the perfect spot for rain gear and the bike cover for sure.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WEIGHT LIMIT

Thanks for the tips everyone. I might add a second shock, but probably not the third brake light for a while. Should be the perfect spot for rain gear and the bike cover for sure.
    This has been discussed before ( and flamed ) remember there is a weight limit.....it could be totally BOGUS but do you want to find out it's true ?????.............enjoy....Mike

Spyder Garage

I have the same Show Chrome Rack. Take your time with the mounting. cover the mounting area with painters tape,set the trunk how you want it. Then take it off and do it couple of more times. Make sure that is where you want it then make your final marks and then drill your holes. I drilled a very small pilot hole then the main hole. If you take your time with the measuring and placement prep the actual mounting is pretty easy. I put the Star washers from Value accessories under the top posts. Because of the angle the posts are at the bottom I could only use the rubber washers that came with the rack.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Question

[QUOTE=kml354;1117859]I just installed the Rivco Black rack. Love the way it doesn't block the high mount lights.
    The level rack doesn't have any effect on the trunk staying open.
    http://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-mot...-rt-black.html

Does the rack interfere with putting on the travel cover?
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sscheuer47 View Post
    Does the rack interfere with putting on the travel cover?
    The BRP half cover will no longer slip over easily. I can still use mine with the Show Chrome rack (which I love), but it is an extremely tight fit and does not cover in the same way. Others have said the Ultra Guard full cover will fit over the rack.

To the OP:
    Pegasus has the best advice for you. I followed exactly what he posted here when I installed mine. Measure, measure, measure... The pilot holes and a step drill bit are an absolute must-do. I didn't use the leg extenders and the rack does clear (barely) the top edge of the trunk lid. Clearance depends on where you line up the top legs. I assembled the rack and did several test fits before deciding on final placement. Lay down some painters tape before you do anything or you will scratch the paint. Don't over-tighten the screws or you may crack the paint. Tighten per the instructions. Plan to spend an hour to install. At least 45-50 minutes will be spent measuring and tinkering with placement, lol.

There will be a few nay-sayers in the forum regarding the weight limit. Not only does the rack look great, it is very practical. I typically have a waterproof duffle bag with light clothing that weighs in under the rack limit. I have also strapped a couple of light camping chairs to the rack for Friday night concerts in the park, no problem. If you are careful and heed the trunk AND rack limits you will have miles of enjoyment. Remember, whatever you add on the rack will be part of the trunk limit.

I think the rack really adds a nice touch to an already incredible touring machine. Enjoy and safe travels to Spyderfest!
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

The ultra guard works on my 14 RT with the rack on the back.

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justcalldon View Post
    The ultra guard works on my 14 RT with the rack on the back.

Justcalldon
    That is a FULL cover, correct? To my knowledge, there is no half cover that comfortably fits over the RT with a rack.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

I have both a full cover and a half cover, I can't remember but I think the half cover does cover the rack. But like I said I can't remember exactly.

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP half cover (covers the front down to the point of the frunk and the back end is supposed to cover the trunk). Does not fit with a luggage rack on the trunk lid. I had a cause to use the cover this past weekend and what I had to do what have the front of the cover anchored up front near the ignition and then I was able to have it cover the seat and the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This has been discussed before ( and flamed ) remember there is a weight limit.....it could be totally BOGUS but do you want to find out it's true ?????.............enjoy....Mike

Yeah, I remember you got your hairs singed a while back. I'm only planning on putting light bulky stuff on the rack, like my cover, and our rain gear..3-4 lbs altogether maybe. It ain't like the neighbor kid will be riding up there...LOL
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Also just ordered rack

I ordered my rack over weekend and was so happy to see this discussion. I am so happy to be a part of this group. I may not post often but I read it all the time for advise. I think it covers every question I have about my spyder. I started reading this forum before I even purchased my spyder. Thanks for all the advise.

Will be getting the adjustable handlebars next service time. Of course I have read all the post on that.
    Making friends where ever I ride.

Spyder Garage

I have the Show Chrome rack and the Large Iron Rider bag on my RTL and the UltraGuard 1/2 cover fits great, no problem at all. On the 1/2 cover I removed the hooks and replaced them with Velcro so in case a hook comes free in the wind it will not damage my Spyder.

Cruzr Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Keep your weight reasonable and you won't have any problems.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

I carry a roller carry on size suitcase on top of showchrome rack

Fill it wi clothing, groceries etc for 1& a half years

0 problems big blessing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Ps
    The guardian cover fits over all of it np

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Now I'm starting to wonder if I'll even get the rack in time for Spyderfest. I ordered through Amazon and havent gotten a "Item has shipped" email yet. I ordered it 3 days ago. Not impressed!! I emailed the seller to see if they have a status for me. I'm an idiot, I should have ordered direct!

EDIT::::Got sick of wondering. Just placed an order for the same rack through Dennis Kirk. It ships tonight, should have it Friday to install Saturday. OK, now I'm feelin' a bit better
    Last edited by Mazo EMS2; 04-20-2016 at 07:42 PM.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White