Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

VERY fair!
    Do the research, and know what you're buying!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here re are the pics of the bottom hitch with the ball on it . It is a 1/4" thick steel and the arms that extend from the swingarms are 3/32" thick ...sticker on the inside arm is Mel's Monster garage ..as another post reads , when welding to metals with that different thickness , caution needs to be taken with the weld ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE BROKEN PIECE

I have a suspicion that where it broke was not a WELD, it appears the metal itself cracked from fatigue......The heat needed to weld it to the MUCH THICKER flat stock could certainly have been a factor......But I'm not sure the pieces were of the exact same metal to begin with.......It's interesting that some of the surfaces have rust and some DON'T , this Failure was occurring for quite so time !!!........Of course I'm looking at a picture ( and you did very well with the PICS )........I weld and it is rare that the weld ( itself ) breaks, also I have never seen COLD ROLLED STEEL break like that ---- CAST , YES ......Thank you for the Pics .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-14-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

The rust along the weld tells a tale of a failure over a period of time.

Glad no one was hurt.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no support on the bottom of the hitch. That metal was flexing and fatigued to cause that to break off.

Throw that POS in the garbage and get a hitch that is structurally sound so that will not happen again.

Glad nobody got hurt..

Be safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    That is why I went with the Show Chrome hitch. it is one piece of 1/4" thick steal bent into the proper shape and reinforced for the ball location. I didn't like the looks of the welded joints to make the angle changes on most of the other hitches out there.

+1, love mine. Tough bugger. I never liked the look of the BRP hitch.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    There is no support on the bottom of the hitch. That metal was flexing and fatigued to cause that to break off.

Throw that POS in the garbage and get a hitch that is structurally sound so that will not happen again.
    Let me toss out a weak defense of the guy who designed and built it. Keep in mind this was back in 2008 when the Spyder was new, and not very of them were around. I'm sure no one was anywhere near as aware as we are now of the hard bouncing forces the hitch experiences. On a Goldwing or Harley that design would be adequate. My Goldwing hitch was nowhere near as rugged as the Spyder Show Chrome hitch, which is the same basic design as the one I have.

That doesn't excuse the poor design, but I think it explains why it exists.

When I had the trunk module off my RTS I looked to see how easy it would be to make a hitch that hangs from the frame rather than the swing arm. It could be done but it would be a more complicated design and would take longer to install because you would have to take the trunk module off. For a dealer install I'm sure the cost would be north of the current $500 + for the BRP hitch.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yes, we all agree that it was a poor design and execution, but it did last 7 years. It looks like it was well used. Look at the major car manufactures having to recall brand new cars because of a bad weld or something. This is a reminder to get to know your bike/car/stuff when it is working right so that when something is wrong you realize it. Someone above suggested that you check the hitch/connection every time that you stop for gas. I had not thought of that myself, but will do it now. I also take my FOBO sensors off my bike and put them on my trailer when I am towing the bike, that has already saved me a tire and maybe a wreck.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Back in '09, I had a Mel's Monster Garage hitch, but mine had a reese type receiver. I didn't remember that mine was welded.

Spyder Garage

Well without getting to far off subject let me share a true hitch story with you. Several groups of us were riding back from Sturgis on our Harleys about ten years ago to Tucson. One of our leaders was hit with a small utility trailer that had about 30" sideboards. It had departed its tow because of a broken Hitch and was traveling in the oncoming lane. It hit the leader and caused all kinds of hell but no one else was injured. After the accident we were all trying to help the rider but no one was able to find him. The trailer had traveled about a 1000' and wound up in the gutter.

After about 10 minutes we found him, believe it or not in the trailer. He was badly injured but survived after numerous surgeries and a lot of pain. Lawsuits ensued, the bike was totaled and he had a lot of trouble with the insurance company.

Just a note to remind that hitches are important and not to be taken lightly. It can cost you or someone else a life.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In a GWRRA training video on trailering, the comment is made that the single greatest cause of trailers coming loose from the tow vehicles is the failure to pin the clamp in the closed position.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)