Spyder Garage

Default Orange screen Brake Failure

Riding home Monday at 70 MPH screen turned orange and said brake failure. Pulled off road and shut down brakes seemed to work fine stopping. Turned key off and removed it. Sat for a few minutes then started back up and screen returned. Put it in gear and it felt like the brakes were locked up. Shut it off again and then restarted screen returned but when I put it in gear it moved without resistance. Drove home. Next morning started up and no screen. When on side of road I pulled codes and got C1048 or it may have been c1038. either way next morning it was gone. Loaded it on trailer and returned it to dealer. They will not look at it until Friday and then have to submit to BRP which they say will take a couple of weeks. I only have 2988 miles on this 2015 RT limited. Any ideas as to what might be going on. I am afraid to drive it until I have some explanation for Brake failure warning. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Add brake fluid, just had to add fluid on my Spyder. Use fresh fluid and add to both sections they might only take a table spoon full.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The usual problem is slightly low brake fluid. This should not be the situation on your new RT with less than 3000 miles. Give it a look though. A teaspoon or more down can cause the ultra sensitive sensors to go for a brake failure screen. Give that a look first--it is easy and does not require a trip to the dealer. The two week (hold your bike hostage) is also a bunch of BS in my opinion.

Sometimes, the may give you an orange screen just because it can. If the situation does not come up again, you are probably good to go.

Let us know how this all works out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

other culprits are...Sticking brake light switch...burned out brake light bulb/s (sometimes items wired into the system like leds)...and resting your foot on the pedal as you ryde. Downhills make one keep their foot on the pedal too long at times....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Fluid

Checked brake fluid first sorry didn,t say that in OP. If the fluid had been low I would have taken to dealer anyway because 2988 miles should not use any brake fluid. Dealer is not the friendliest and is 75 miles away. The closest one is even worse.

Spyder Garage

I would call BRP and start a case file, no reason for the dealer to have it for 3 weeks or so just to check the brakes. That is unreasonable for a new Bike.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I read a report on another forum of a failed micro switch associated with the braking system. It had to do with the parking brake not releasing properly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As mentioned above this is usually caused by low break fluid, but not with just 3000 miles on it. What happens is as your brake pads slowly wear the pistons in your calipers have to push out slightly farther to take up the space the pads used to take up. The brake fluid is now in your caliper and not in the reservoir. Now maybe your particular Spyder was not quite adequately filled with brake fluid when you bought it .

If this is the case it is such an easy fix. But if you are not comfortable adding it yourself just plan on a road trip to your dealer to have it topped off on a really nice day. If you want to do it yourself you need DOT 4 brake fluid. I purchased mine from NAPA.

It did not happen to me until around 14000 miles, and it was only coming on going down my driveway (steep down hill grade).

Spyder Garage

Default Up Date

Got a call from Dealer and the brake Failure screen came on because of failed sensor on brake fluid reservoir. Says it will take at least two weeks to get part.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's actually GOOD news...
    There's nothing wrong with your brakes; just the monitoring system!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default False Positive

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's actually GOOD news...
    There's nothing wrong with your brakes; just the monitoring system!
    So this sensor scares the Stuff out me by telling at 70 miles an hour that my brakes just failed. That is not great but better than one that tells me everything is great when I actually have no brakes at all. Can I really trust the new sensor since it will be from the same source and if there is room for false positives then the flip side is false negatives.