Spyder Garage

Default Camping tent trailer

I am thinking of getting a tent trailer to pull behind . Wife and I have tent camped off and on for years but recently decided we would like to get off of ground but we still like camping experience. I see a couple of options on the net of tent campers. Any input as to pros or cons of different manufactures? Any used ones anyone thinking of unloading out there?
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are several manufactures out there and all of them have features that set them apart from each other. Roll-a-home, Aspen, Bunkhouse, Time out, Roadman, and Lees-ure-lite just to name a few.
    Some set up faster than others, I think the lees-ure-lite has the fastest set up time. Time out has the largest floor or tent area when set up. Then all of the others have their own little features to compare.
    I used to own a time out camper, loved the room, but you must unload everything when it is set up because the trailer bed and top is your floor and bed.
    I now own an older 1998 Bunkhouse camper that has a huge bed area, a little larger than queen, a dressing area down below, and a large awning to set under. All of the things loaded in the trailer can stay in the trailer and can be accessed from inside the trailer after set up just by lifting a section of the bed. The trailer is also accessible from outside when the camper is folded up.
    I love the access from inside, it makes it much more pleasant to pack up everything when it is raining, without getting wet, until you fold up the camper.
    The bed is up on top of the trailer and the dressing room floor is on the ground.

The Aspen trailer is set up with storage the same as the bunkhouse.

You will need to decide what features are more important to you.

I used the spare tire well on my bunkhouse to mount a motorcycle gel cell battery in, then wired up led lights on the inside with a dimmer for light at night. I also have 12 volt outlets to operate a fan all night when hot, and charge cell phone and Bluetooth headsets while sleeping. The battery will last about 3 days and night before I have to charge it. I have a small charger wired in so I can plug in at a site and charge it, or it will charge as I drive to the next campsite.

Here is a pic of it behind the bike, and then set up by the Spyder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 04-12-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/
    Same thing I was going to say I too was looking into & they fit the tongue weight, I believe you need to contact them & provide the wiring info first spyders are funny like that one of few that would fit my 6'3hight

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like them for their pricing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here is a good deal on a Timeout if someone is close to Michigan.
    http://muskegon.craigslist.org/for/5517971372.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    I am thinking of getting a tent trailer to pull behind . Wife and I have tent camped off and on for years but recently decided we would like to get off of ground but we still like camping experience. I see a couple of options on the net of tent campers. Any input as to pros or cons of different manufactures? Any used ones anyone thinking of unloading out there?
    You might want to consider these guys, with the US $ being Way stronger than the Canadian $.

http://www.leesurelite.com/default.asp

They are real nice, and also pretty close to Spokane.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    You might want to consider these guys, with the US $ being Way stronger than the Canadian $.

http://www.leesurelite.com/default.asp

They are real nice, and also pretty close to Spokane.

Neil
    I bought a used Leesurelite that was just about 100 miles from where I live. Check Craigs List and you'll probably find a lot. I haven't used it yet but plan to do so this summer. I chose Leesure-Lite for the ease of set-up, etc.

Good luck in your hunt.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I realize this is a tent camper topic but the ease of setup comments prompted me to post my rig, again! You simply get off your Spyder, open the door, and hop in! And now the negative to that is, you have much less room & obviously no standing area.

Micro-lite Twist TR7.

Pat

Spyder Garage

Default Time Out Deluxe Camper

I have the Time Out and really like it for it's everything off the ground approach plus a lot of carpeted floor space and ceiling height. The Queen size bed is awesome plus a table and easy access to the cooler from inside the camper. A lot of ventilation and tinted window panels. Sets up in less than 5 minutes and pulls well behind the RT-L....
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's what I did. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...satile-trailer!

Unless you're cheap, handy, and masochistic, I wouldn't think of suggesting you do this. But, it is an option!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Also handy to consider if you choose something smallerhttps://youtu.be/veOI-Qx5T94

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    ... And now the negative to that is, you have much less room & obviously no standing area. Micro-lite Twist TR7.
    Pat
    I just looked that one up, it says dry weight is 405 lbs with 54 lbs tongue wt. So it is already over the 401 lbs/40 lbs spec without any gear. Have you had it out on any long trips?

-------------------------------------------------------------
    We tent camped next to a guy that had something that looked like the tent in post #3. Really looked good and comfy, especially after spending almost a month of setting up the tent then tearing down and leaving the next day.
    Last edited by Gray Ghost; 04-12-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added comment

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I've been looking since I bought the Spyder. Finding used camper trailers in the Ohio tri-state area has not been easy. Nothing pops up online when I search (often).

Weight is still my main concern. From what I have researched the lightest camping trailer when fully loaded will still be over the max towing capacity of the Spyder. Everyone says common sense is key and the Spyder can manage much more than advertised.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    I just looked that one up, it says dry weight is 405 lbs with 54 lbs tongue wt. So it is already over the 401 lbs/40 lbs spec without any gear. Have you had it out on any long trips?

No long trips yet, middle of May I'm thinking. I have about fifty test miles so far, it stops & goes like it was made for the Spyder!

Pat

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Gray Ghost;1115838]I just looked that one up, it says dry weight is 405 lbs with 54 lbs tongue wt. So it is already over the 401 lbs/40 lbs spec without any gear. Have you had it out on any long trips?

Upon careful reading of a lot of forums, motorcycle manufacturer's websites and their motorcycle owner's manuals, I have yet to find a motorcycle that is "designed" to tow a trailer. Therefore, all of those who do tow a trailer are doing their own R & D (research and development) on the viability to tow a trailer behind a motorcycle.

At least with a Spyder you have the factory telling you that you can tow a trailer. As stated above I have yet to find a motorcycle manufacture that says you can.

The guidelines of weight for towing a trailer have very little if anything to do with the ability of the motorcycle, or Spyders capability of moving it forward, or towing it. The restrictions are for the ability of stopping the load that is behind. That also is not just about pushing the bike forward making a longer stopping distance, but the fact that if the back end of the bike gets lose at all and just a little off of the straight line, the weight of the trailer can continue to push, compound the problem, and jackknife your bike or Spyder, just like a tractor trailer jackknifes. The rear of the bike will be pushed right out from under you.

I have towed camper trailers behind my motorcycle for 10 of thousands of miles, I travel towing it for a minimum of two straight weeks every year, averaging 4,000 -6,000 miles per trip. Only one time in all of that towing did I experiences the jackknife affect as I spoke of above. That was in a sudden stop on a freeway exit ramp and finding oil and antifreeze on the road. I was not able to stop and was pushed by the weight of the trailer into the car in front of me. That was after towing the trailers for over 10 years behind a motorcycle, so I was not a newbie at it.

The likelihood of this happening on a spyder is reduced greatly by having two front wheels and a vehicle stability system that is designed to keep you stopping in a straight line.

Before i purchased the spyder I also installed brakes on my camper trailer to help eliminate some of the pushing effect. They do not pull on the bike when applied, I adjust them where they just relieve some of the pushing force from behind.

Spyder Garage

We have pulled an Aspen Sentry coast to coast. It has a "basement" and lots of room. the Sentry has a queen bed and the Classic has a king bed. We love ours. All the pulling up to now has been with the 998 and it was very well behaved!!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    I realize this is a tent camper topic but the ease of setup comments prompted me to post my rig, again! You simply get off your Spyder, open the door, and hop in! And now the negative to that is, you have much less room & obviously no standing area.

Micro-lite Twist TR7.

Pat

I would like to hear how riding in a strong side or cross wind will affect you. Please keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

Thx all for input Don't know what i'll do yet but big trip of 2016 is coming up soon so I'll have decide.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Cargo trailer.

I go with just a cargo trailer and use a tent.
    I can have my tent set up in a couple of minutes, have lots of room for storage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I would like to hear how riding in a strong side or cross wind will affect you. Please keep us posted.
    Will do when I get her out on the big road for an extended amount of time. I did go out for a short back road spin today with some curves. Nothing new to report there, handles great!

Pat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by furface90 View Post
    I go with just a cargo trailer and use a tent.
    I can have my tent set up in a couple of minutes, have lots of room for storage.

That is what we have been doing. Looks like our mini trailer too. Not sure it will work out but sleeping on ground (even with air mattress) is getting tough especially with arthritis.

Spyder Garage

Default I know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    That is what we have been doing. Looks like our mini trailer too. Not sure it will work out but sleeping on ground (even with air mattress) is getting tough especially with arthritis.

I have a little trouble getting in and out on occasion, just kinda role out of the tent.
    I was more concerned about the weight, the trailer is less than 200lbs, doubt I have over 300 when loaded.
    Don't even know it's back there unless I have to stop in a big hurry. Have over 6000 miles with
    trailer and plan a big trip this summer if all goes well.

Wish you luck in whatever your choice is.

Spyder Garage

Default MotoCampers Forun

The MotoCampers forum is a good place for folks towing little camping trailers with motorcycles.

http://www.motocampers.com/

We have a 1998 CombiCamp camper and love it but wish we had the little bit wider LeasureLite.

Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller