Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MC Crash

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MC Crash

Three days ago there was a horrific MC crash on Main St Barstow in front of the Foster Freeze. The car was at fault according to witnesses. He did not yield to the oncoming MC and turned into his path resulting in the rider T-Boning the car. Witnesses claim the sun was not in the drivers eyes because it was a very cloudy day. On a clear day it would have been a factor. This happened about 30 feet from a controlled intersection. It is not known how fast the bike was going but the speed limit is 40 or 45 at this location. Look at the door panels on the car and come to your own conclusion. There was very little reaction time. The young rider, 26, is busted up really bad. Its a miracle he survived the crash. He has cranial, orbital, mandible, and all 4 extremities have fractures. He had brain bleeding and swelling but as of this morning it is subsiding. There are no reports of internal organ damage which is a big miracle. A very long recovery. I blacked out him laying on the ground. His helmet, an offroad type was still on his head. Probably saved his life. (I couldn't upload the second image for technical reasons).

I do not know how visible his bike was to an oncoming vehicle. Typically motorists will claim they did not see the bike in TC's. But this is a Spyder forum, how visible are we? What are the best lighting and products to make yourself look visible. The Spyder is an outstanding vehicle to be noticed. I'm not crazy about the RS headlighting however. I have seen many photos of LED lighting on our Spyders. LED lights can be pricey and they can make the Nanny mad.

I have a new bike and it will be a process to light the baby up. I used to have reflectorized tape on my old RT which worked pretty well on the side and rear.

Also, although the speed is slower than the freeways, the city streets are more dangerous. So I'm looking for comments and ideas on how we can make ourselves more safe. Who knows, there may be a life saved here. I would really like to see and hear testimonies on how the Spyder is the safest bike out there, how you may have survived an incident because it IS a Spyder or what you may have put on it.

Its Go Time!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll also be interested in the ideas from this thread. But don't think it's just motorcycles that have a problem being seen. I was once driving a 35-foot school bus and a car stopped at a stop sign on a side street, then just pulled right out in front of me.

I don't know what they're called, but there's a type of headlight that varies intensity (or some such) to make it more noticeable.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

one of the reasons i bought a spyder is because it is more visible

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Prayers for the rider...
    This is why you can NEVER drop your guard...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

Being about 4 time wider coming head on we are more visable even without the lighting. Accidents like this are too many time a misconception of a motorcycles ability to stop. The typical excuse is "I didn't see him" when is should be " I thought he could stop or go around me"..but who will admit to that misjudgement and confessing it was his fault. I didn't see him makes it the bikers fault for not being visable. Not to say it doesn't happen and that lights would have made a difference. Bikers that drive seem to see them because they are aware.....jmo hope he has a full recovery.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I'll also be interested in the ideas from this thread. But don't think it's just motorcycles that have a problem being seen. I was once driving a 35-foot school bus and a car stopped at a stop sign on a side street, then just pulled right out in front of me.

I don't know what they're called, but there's a type of headlight that varies intensity (or some such) to make it more noticeable.
    You are referring to the headlight modulator. Get those things in your rear view mirror for awhile and you'll go crazy. But they do work well.
    Last edited by Desert Spyder; 04-11-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    I do not know how visible his bike was to an oncoming vehicle. Typically motorists will claim they did not see the bike in TC's. But this is a Spyder forum, how visible are we? What are the best lighting and products to make yourself look visible. The Spyder is an outstanding vehicle to be noticed. I'm not crazy about the RS headlighting however. I have seen many photos of LED lighting on our Spyders. LED lights can be pricey and they can make the Nanny mad.

I have a new bike and it will be a process to light the baby up. I used to have reflectorized tape on my old RT which worked pretty well on the side and rear.
    Sadly, "I didn't see him" is a legitimate and real excuse because of the neurological and physiological construction of human bodies! Read this really good article by an RAF fighter pilot. http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/.

LED headlight lamps do not upset Nanny. I have them in my 2014 RTS, along with a modulator. Kisan has a headlight modulator compatible with LED lamps. Believe me, they make me quite noticeable to anyone in front of me. If I can find the time before I leave for Spyderfest I'll post my method of incorporating the Kisan modulator into the headlight circuitry.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default avoiding accidents

Good thoughts regarding making ourselves more conspicuous. Whenever I see a biker dressed in all black, including the currently in-vogue matte black helmet, and riding a black bike with no additional lighting, I'm thinking this person is more concerned with dressing exactly like the rest of his pack than he is with assisting other motorists to notice him.

Extra lighting on the bike (and the Spyder is a huge blank slate offering tons of possibilities here), and bright-colored gear do help in this regard; just notice who you notice out on the road.

We as riders have a job to do here, as well. I'm currently working my way through the AARP on-line defensive driving course. Even though I've taught the StayinSafe/Advanced Rider Training for the past 15 years, and consider myself an experienced vehicle operator, there are things I find myself being reminded about which are helpful to bring back onto the front burner.

Here's a simple example. The course reminds me that as we age, our vision diminishes. However, having a spotlessly clean windshield is one thing I can do to assure that I'm seeing as well as I possibly can. When there are bugs on the outside, and haze on the inner surface, driving into the sunset or driving into approaching car's headlights at night, I definitely cannot see as well as I might.

There are lots of other driving strategies, many of which we "know" but leave on the back burner, which training courses can bring into our immediate focus. It's not productive to put blame on anyone involved as a victim of an accident, but it's useful to ask, "What could that rider have done differently (as he approached the intersection where the car invaded his right-of-way) which could have lessened his chance of being involved?" Just dismissing the incident saying, "It was his time," isn't good enough.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Sadly, "I didn't see him" is a legitimate and real excuse because of the neurological and physiological construction of human bodies! Read this really good article by an RAF fighter pilot. http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/.

LED headlight lamps do not upset Nanny. I have them in my 2014 RTS, along with a modulator. Kisan has a headlight modulator compatible with LED lamps. Believe me, they make me quite noticeable to anyone in front of me. If I can find the time before I leave for Spyderfest I'll post my method of incorporating the Kisan modulator into the headlight circuitry.
    Perhaps I should have said SOME LED's will upset the Nanny. Refer to a YT by Shawn Smoak who was talking about the subject. All the LED's advertised on SL are compatible that I am aware of. Those purchased at a auto parts store may create problems.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

First of all, prayers for our injured brother. Hope he makes a full recovery.

I don't think we can be lit up enough at night or even in the daytime. I began this quest for survival in the 70's riding long distance bicycles and then moved on to motorcycles in the 80's. I believe the bigger "footprint" of the Spyder helps us and I'm almost convinced at night we get more respect on Spyders (over motorcycles) because some of the idiot drivers can't tell if we are a car and if they are going to possibly get hurt worse if they pull out on us. It's the people who make eye contact with us and still pull the stupid move that just absolutely amaze me. Staying alive in the 70's and 80's was difficult. But now with cellphones, texting, and all other distracted driving practices we are lucky every day we make it back home.

Light yourself up with daytime running lights. Count on other drivers doing dumb things.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Having been a biker for over 50 years I have learned that you really do have to regard every other vehicle as
    a direct threat to your life. This is something which I taught my pupils back in the 80s when I was a bike instructor
    and it holds true even more today with all of the modern vehicular distractions.
    The roads in the UK are significantly more crowded than those in the US.....there is seldom a time when you can see no oncoming traffic.
    Yet we still have people fresh to motorcycling who make the mistake of believing that after a couple of years they are "experienced"
    and sadly this complacency is the cause of many serious accidents, injuries and death. After 50 odd years I'm still learning and will be
    until my last ride.
    My thoughts go out to that rider and I hope that he heals well enough to continue to ride.

Spyder Garage

Default RTL Modulator

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Owner of a 2016 RTL and interested in installing a modulator unit on it, missed your posted instructions and would appreciate a PM on the subject and thanks for any information
    Joseph

Spyder Garage

Default Thoughts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lamonster View Post
    First of all, prayers for our injured brother. Hope he makes a full recovery.

I don't think we can be lit up enough at night or even in the daytime. I began this quest for survival in the 70's riding long distance bicycles and then moved on to motorcycles in the 80's. I believe the bigger "footprint" of the Spyder helps us and I'm almost convinced at night we get more respect on Spyders (over motorcycles) because some of the idiot drivers can't tell if we are a car and if they are going to possibly get hurt worse if they pull out on us. It's the people who make eye contact with us and still pull the stupid move that just absolutely amaze me. Staying alive in the 70's and 80's was difficult. But now with cellphones, texting, and all other distracted driving practices we are lucky every day we make it back home.

Light yourself up with daytime running lights. Count on other drivers doing dumb things.
    As a retired Fire Command Officer we always relied on this basic FACT........ You can NEVER pre-plan the Stupid Human Factor!
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lamonster View Post
    I believe the bigger "footprint" of the Spyder helps us and I'm almost convinced at night we get more respect on Spyders (over motorcycles) because some of the idiot drivers can't tell if we are a car and if they are going to possibly get hurt worse if they pull out on us.

Thank you, for saying it so well...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Headlight modulators

Headlight modulators are a useful tool, Just don't get too complacent with it. Most cages have no idea why your headlight "seems" to be flashing. I had a man pulling a boat pull out in front of me-Thinking I was giving the "Go-ahead signal". Fortunately, We were only going about 30 or 35 mph and was able to stop in time.

Spyder Garage

Speed, Bright riding clothes, and a macular degeneration detector are your best bets. No one is looking out for you out there so you might want to do that yourself. All this accumulated over 65 years of riding I pass on to you for free.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

A few months ago a saw a car pull straight out in front of a HGV that had more lights on it than a Christmas tree - road was straight, it was daylight and weather was clear.

The car driver had been parked sideways on the verge while leaving some flowers at a white cross - obviously bad driving was a family trait.

To this day I have no idea how the HGV driver kept control and managed to go from 100kph to 0 in the space available.

If they can't spot a fully lit up 18 wheeler what chance do we stand?

Spyder Garage

You have to drive like no one else can... Sad but true and safer.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Prayers to the rider, and driver. From the posting, it appears to have been an accident. Not road rage. I feel for both of them involved. Scary stuff.

I ride as if no one can see me. I give plenty of distance. I wear a Hi-Vis panel jacket. I also ride with my fog lights on, all the time.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Haven't been riding as long as others, but truly believe that your brain is the best first line of defense.

Know a Lady who took a biff. It was caused when The Road Captain signaled her to pass a slow semi on a two lane road. She went full throttle almost into an oncoming vehicle, swerved into the ditch at the last moment. Ouch, but better than the alternative.

You have a helmet on your head for a reason. Slow down, be aware of what's happening around you.

Trust no one...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sad But True

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    If they can't spot a fully lit up 18 wheeler what chance do we stand?

I was parking in the lot for my grocery store, in my cage. A guy comes up, has to walk around a car that is (for some odd reason) sitting and blocking him in. He backs right out of his spot, never looking or remembering that there is a car behind him.
    AND....
    I'm riding down my street, stop at a stop sign and see a young couple waking down the sidewalk. A lady comes out of her house, gets in her car and backs up without looking. The only reason she didn't hit the kids was that I screamed so loud that side of the city looked up. The kids then jumped out of the way.

They drive among us, folks. Be careful out there.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I lost a good friend in July of 2012 in a very similar situation. He was on his bike and a driver turned left, into a driveway, directly in front of him. He t-boned her car and died of brain injury on the way to the hospital. The very next day, in the same Maryland county, another motorcyclist was killed, exactly the same way.

You have to assume every cage is being operated by a moron, out to kill you.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

This is why I went to Spyder from a two wheel cruiser. I installed several Custom Dynamic lights on my Spyder.
    Thoughts and prayers for this young man!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRIPMAN View Post
    Owner of a 2016 RTL and interested in installing a modulator unit on it, missed your posted instructions and would appreciate a PM on the subject and thanks for any information
    Joseph
    I just now posted instructions here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...28#post1115428

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    Headlight modulators are a useful tool, Just don't get too complacent with it. Most cages have no idea why your headlight "seems" to be flashing. I had a man pulling a boat pull out in front of me-Thinking I was giving the "Go-ahead signal". Fortunately, We were only going about 30 or 35 mph and was able to stop in time.
    Also, remember that truckers use the flashing headlights as a "pull-over-it's-safe" signal.
    jb
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case