Spyder Garage

Default Stumble when shifting

I have ridden my 2014 RT-S about 300 miles since bringing it home a couple of weeks ago. I love the bike but I have come up with one minor problem. During the shift from first to second I get a very short stumble if the RPMs are right at 3000. A little below or a little above and everything is perfect. I have also experience this behavior a couple of time from second to third but, usually not. Is this normal for this drivetrain?

Spyder Garage

Does it happen all the time? Is the Spyder cold or fully warmed up? Are you in ECO mode? I ve never experienced such on mine. Some owners, myself included, report smoother shifting after switching to fully synthetic oil.

Since it's so new, if comments/suggestions here don't help it's something you should let the dealer sort out under warranty.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Does it happen all the time? Is the Spyder cold or fully warmed up? Are you in ECO mode? I ve never experienced such on mine. Some owners, myself included, report smoother shifting after switching to fully synthetic oil.

Since it's so new, if comments/suggestions here don't help it's something you should let the dealer sort out under warranty.
    It happens hot or cold. It is not a mechanical issue. It is electronic like the "kill" signal is longer than it should be. ECO makes no differance. The dealer will be involved but, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. I fully believe that there is no such thing as "one" of anything. Especially when it comes to performance issues that dealers or manufactures have trouble duplication.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure your not rolling the throttle back...Just hold it steady on, do not release it or roll it back...I sometime catch myself burping the throttle when shifting...(old habit)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    I have ridden my 2014 RT-S about 300 miles since bringing it home a couple of weeks ago. I love the bike but I have come up with one minor problem. During the shift from first to second I get a very short stumble if the RPMs are right at 3000. A little below or a little above and everything is perfect. I have also experience this behavior a couple of time from second to third but, usually not. Is this normal for this drivetrain?
    As mentioned above, try NOT rolling the throttle. The shift pattern for SE6 is run it up to the rpm's you want, punch the shift button, and do not roll off on the throttle. I find a smoother shift point at about 3500 +. Less of a "clunk" and a bit more smooth.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes. Mine does that as well. Not all of the time but sometimes. Changed to full synthetic oil, no difference. It does it from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. I have not had a dealer look at it. But I will say that changing to the synthetic oil has really softened most of the shifts. Night and day.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2014 RTS does this sometimes also but I think maybe it's me but if I shift at a
    higher rpm it isn't that noticeable and I haven't had any problems from the bike so
    as long as it keeps shifting I'm ok with it. But for the most part it shifts very smooth
    and I'm very happy with it.
    Toby
    2020 RTL