Spyder Garage

Default Is a weep at Water pump shaft seal normal?

(2012 RSS Spyder SE5)

I have a coolant "seep" that sure looks like it's originating from the water pump weep hole, it wasn't much, but left a little puddle at the bottom pan. I pulled all the covers on RH side this weekend to be able to access that area better, I could just get a mirror in there to see the "weep" hole and it looked like it had been seeping at one point but was dry now. I checked the worm style clamp, just to be sure. My understanding is that this seal is a "ceramic type"? And is it normal for this type of seal to seep? There was no evidence under the vehicle that it was seeping, I just happened to shine a light through the RH panel near the radiator to see a little evidence at the back of the pan.

Is a slight seep normal, or should I look at getting this repaired?

Thanks.

*yellow area is where I saw coolant near the starter bolt mount*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

I'm a bit out of my depth with this, but then it never stopped me before.

It is my understanding based upon what I have read here and elsewhere that this is a common problem for the 998 engine.
    This engine is used in several Aprilla models in Europe too.

It seems the general consensus is that as long as the leak is minor, it is no big deal.
    Now, this flies in the face of the Perfect Maintenance Theory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    It is my understanding based upon what I have read here and elsewhere that this is a common problem for the 998 engine.
    I did come across this thread, and it was very informative...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ter-Pump-Seals

The thread being several years old, I'm wondering if Rotax has upgraded the seal assy? It sounded like people were sending "kzmille" their Clutch housing so the ceramic seal installation was properly done.

I'm wondering if mine does go on leaking more, would I be able to do the repair without having to make special tools?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 02:43 AM. Reason: ' 's

Spyder Garage

Default Not Really....

Not a common problem and water leaks are hard to figure/trace . The biggest issue was the one and only worm drive hose clamp on the spyder was a radiator hose. This was found to be loose on many units. I have seen some with leaky water pump seals and they were replaced and they did not leak after that . They really should not leak but it may be a momentary leak due to debris or build up. Watch it cause as mentioned if it is small it is not a problem you just need to watch the water level. If it goes away you should be fine. If it continues it may be worth changing it out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Water pump seal

I had a water pump seal failure on my 2012 RTS. It seeped for quite a while before I figured out what it was. A seep is an indication of a failure and is best fixed before a significant leak that get into the engine or overheat and cause further damage.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have seen some with leaky water pump seals and they were replaced and they did not leak after that .
    Quote Originally Posted by LJspydee View Post
    I had a water pump seal failure on my 2012 RTS. It seeped for quite a while before I figured out what it was.
    Do you need special tools to remove the clutch cover and remove/install the seals?

Spyder Garage

Not the clutch cover . Have not done one so not sure on the seals but a quick download of a shop maunal online will give you the rundown...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Unknown seal leak.

I have a 2012 RTS and last fall took it in to have a trailer hitch and wiring harness installed. About 1/2 hour into the installation the service manager came out and told me they have found a small leak at the water pump seal. I had not noticed any sign of the problem as I had no dripping on my garage floor. Fortunately they had a pump in stock and replace it at the same time the hitch was installed.
    My new ride is a 2017 F3-L: BRP drivers backrest, F4 21" tinted shield w/vent, Lamonster fog lights, TRCLED cyclops light, red/black carbon fiber tank protector and dash kit from Wrap-My-Spyder, FOBO tire pressure monitors and more farkles to come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    Do you need special tools to remove the clutch cover and remove/install the seals?
    I had it in for other service at the time. It was covered by warranty, but took three weeks to get parts and another week to fix it.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Default Water pump shaft seal

My limited understanding from talking with "real" mechanics is the weep hole is engineered into the pump housing to give you an early heads up before you get into a full failure.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Colour...
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Super common. If it's under warranty have it replaced. If it's not under warranty keep an eye on it and do the repair once it starts to get bad or bothers you. I've done 2 now on 2 different Aprilia motors. Its not a catastrophic failure kind of issue, so ride on.

The design of the seal has changed over the years and most leaks/failures had to do with installation. BRP used an "assembly" where most of the parts shaft/seal were already together. However, techs were still botching up the install with gorilla techniques.

Mine failed and was replaced with only 2k miles on my Spyder back in 2012. I sat at the dealer and "babysat" the repair to make sure it was done right. 12k miles later, no issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I've done 2 now on 2 different Aprilia motors. Its not a catastrophic failure kind of issue, so ride on.
    Thanks.
    Anything special that I need to remove/install the oil seal and water seal? Other than a little common sense

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    I'm a bit out of my depth with this, but then it never stopped me before.

It seems the general consensus is that as long as the leak is minor, it is no big deal.
    Now, this flies in the face of the Perfect Maintenance Theory.

Actually waterpump failures are showing up pretty regular on the 1330's as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    Thanks.
    Anything special that I need to remove/install the oil seal and water seal? Other than a little common sense
    Nope, pick up a manual, take your time, and work smart/clean. Its very straight forward work.

Spyder Garage

Search this at youtube

DIY Can Am Water Pump Seal Replacement - YouTube

Excellent video

Spyder Garage

Water Pump Shaft
    Part #: 420220413
    Qty: 1
    USD$ 32.99

Oil Seal
    Part #: 420631460
    USD$ 11.99

Seal Ring
    Part #: 420650240

I believe these are the parts

Spyder Garage

Default Special Tools

Hey DrewNJ. Would I need these two tools or could I get by using either sockets or pieces of pipes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used a standard bearing and seal driver set available pretty much anywhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I used a standard bearing and seal driver set available pretty much anywhere.

Thank you. I'm probably going to roll with the seep for now, keeping an eye on it. If and when the repair is needed, I plan on doing the repair myself. I want to thank everyone for their help and input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 02:48 AM. Reason: ' 's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good plan! It will likely seep for awhile and not get much, if any worse. I'll bet there are a lot of bikes running around seeping but the owners don't know because they can't see it.

Spyder Garage

Hi, any step by step process pics etc to replace pls? deon.dutoit@angliamerican.co.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 02:49 AM. Reason: ' 's