Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

If I was to place a bet - looking at the previous bikes you mention, and the hip-op, I suspect you'll end up with a F3 (possibly the F3-T). If you prefer the V-twin engine and a more traditional road bike position then an ST.

However it will be interesting to hear what you think once you've had a chance to try them so please post something when you have.

Personally I'm a RS nut. Hopefully it's not another RT, there's too many RT'ers on this forum already:-)

Spyder Garage

I went in to buy an ST an came out with F3S... Try them all then you'll know!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Another choice you didn't mention is manual (SM) or semi-automatic (SE) transmissions...
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of the transmission option. I suppose you've been hand-clutching and foot-shifting for years now, but what about that problem you mentioned with your left knee?

With the SE transmission choice, there is absolutely nothing for your left leg & foot to do. Plus your left hand never has to squeeze that clutch any more. Those two things are a huge relief for older joints & muscles & bones, especially the arthritic type like mine. You'll get a callous on your thumb from the paddle-shifter, but that's OK. The upshifting under your control is still FUN, and you're relieved of ever downshifting, unless you just want to.

Then, for the right hand, there is also the *real* cruise-control that comes only on some upper models. For my right hand's achy bones, the cruise control is a must... I wouldn't be able to last an hour without it.
    Just some more factors to consider here...
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    If you have leg problems like some of us, get one that you can move your legs around. Floorboars with pegs are what I like. if I cant move to different positions, my hips start to cramp.
    Thats exactly what happens to me on motorcycles so I'm hoping a little more stability and the ability to move around will get to my destination in better condition.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of the transmission option. I suppose you've been hand-clutching and foot-shifting for years now, but what about that problem you mentioned with your left knee?

With the SE transmission choice, there is absolutely nothing for your left leg & foot to do. Plus your left hand never has to squeeze that clutch any more. Those two things are a huge relief for older joints & muscles & bones, especially the arthritic type like mine. You'll get a callous on your thumb from the paddle-shifter, but that's OK. The upshifting under your control is still FUN, and you're relieved of ever downshifting, unless you just want to.

Then, for the right hand, there is also the *real* cruise-control that comes only on some upper models. For my right hand's achy bones, the cruise control is a must... I wouldn't be able to last an hour without it.
    Just some more factors to consider here...
    I thought about the semi auto for a few moment but realized I have no issue with clutching (good repair i guess;-) and I really do enjoy the entire shifting thing.
    What I like the most at this point is the F3-S. I still get the excellent ergo's and the 1330.
    Pretty easy to add bags and foot rests id imagine.
    I do have a question. Does it have cruise? couldn't seem to find that on the can am site.
    Thanks for all the info, I'm getting close and looking forward to the norcal ride in sept.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hi Dave here

I am sorta local not far from you with just about all the replaced body parts as you
    I may be of some help in the info dept. Give me a call. 209-887-3283
    Dave

QUOTE=Ph2ocraft;1114889]I've liked the Spyder since seeing a green 08' at my local dealer.
    Problem was I couldn't get any of my friends interested in even looking at one much less buying one.
    I currently own 11 1000cc and above motorcycles with most of them being early 80's street bikes.
    I've also gone the route of a couple sport cruisers in the way of a Kawi Concours and a BMW K1200s
    I've always preferred a basic straight up riding position.
    Im turning 56 this May and due to a little crazier past I have a complete replacement right hip and right knee along with a repaired severed ACL in the left knee.
    My wife and I are very active on PWC and cruising the Delta.
    Well, I think you know where I'm heading with all this.
    I want a Spyder!!
    My real question is what do I need??
    Sport, touring, twin, triple?
    I'm kind of lost but know I want to tool around town
    Take some long rides
    Enjoy the mountains
    I'd love to get some help narrowing the field.
    Suggestions or ideas very WELCOME.
    Thanks
    Al[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ph2ocraft View Post
    I thought about the semi auto for a few moment but realized I have no issue with clutching (good repair i guess;-) and I really do enjoy the entire shifting thing.
    What I like the most at this point is the F3-S. I still get the excellent ergo's and the 1330.
    I do have a question. Does it have cruise? couldn't seem to find that on the can am site.
    Thanks for all the info, I'm getting close and looking forward to the norcal ride in sept.
    I have ridden two wheelers for over 50 years, I also thought changing gears manually was a "must have" and my first RT, a 2010 model, was a manual. I put over 25,000 miles on that one and traded for a 2014 RTS, I tried out the semi auto and found it to be awesome! You should at give it a good chance and try and get to know it a little. The shifting is fast, it is like speed shifting. I really like the fact that it downshifts automatically, It really is much more than I expected.
    Stan
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I have ridden two wheelers for over 50 years, I also thought changing gears manually was a "must have" and my first RT, a 2010 model, was a manual. I put over 25,000 miles on that one and traded for a 2014 RTS, I tried out the semi auto and found it to be awesome! You should at give it a good chance and try and get to know it a little. The shifting is fast, it is like speed shifting. I really like the fact that it downshifts automatically, It really is much more than I expected.
    Stan
    Ive actually heard a few state that now. Also heard a few say the clutches will go away on the standard kind of quick.
    How reliable has the semi auto been?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I am sorta local not far from you with just about all the replaced body parts as you
    I may be of some help in the info dept. Give me a call. 209-887-3283
    Dave

QUOTE=Ph2ocraft;1114889]I've liked the Spyder since seeing a green 08' at my local dealer.
    Problem was I couldn't get any of my friends interested in even looking at one much less buying one.
    I currently own 11 1000cc and above motorcycles with most of them being early 80's street bikes.
    I've also gone the route of a couple sport cruisers in the way of a Kawi Concours and a BMW K1200s
    Im turning 56 this May and due to a little crazier past I have a complete replacement right hip and right knee along with a repaired severed ACL in the left knee.
    I want a Spyder!!
    Take some long rides
    Enjoy the mountains
    Thanks
    Al
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the chat and info Dave

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default PANEL

I have been trying to get so info on how to get access to the panel switches please. I m trying to learn how to repair my own RT and wanted to insert a USB port on the panel where the shock and heated hand grip switches are.... Does anyone know of a easy way to access please.

DOG

Spyder Garage

Well I went to a local gathering and rode a couple more Spyders today.
    Im definitely drawn to the F3-S or the F3-T. I'm still undecided between the semi auto and standard clutch
    Can anybody tell me the mechanical pros and cons?
    Longevity
    Type of issues
    etc.
    Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Well I went to a local gathering and rode a couple more Spyders today.
    Im definitely drawn to the F3-S or the F3-T. I'm still undecided between the semi auto and standard clutch
    Can anybody tell me the mechanical pros and cons?
    Longevity
    Type of issues
    etc.
    Thanks!!
    Pros on a semi auto: No clutch to deal with, and no foot shifter. The semi-automatic transmission uses paddle shifting like the sport cars do, for quicker, smoother shifts. Simply apply pressure with your left thumb to shift up and use your fore finger to downshift. It will down downshift for you. The transmission does if for you.

Cons: You are not shifting all the time, ( up or down, reverse etc. in gears).

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Pros on a semi auto: No clutch to deal with, and no foot shifter. The semi-automatic transmission uses paddle shifting like the sport cars do, for quicker, smoother shifts. Simply apply pressure with your left thumb to shift up and use your fore finger to downshift. It will down downshift for you. The transmission does if for you.

Cons: You are not shifting all the time, ( up or down, reverse etc. in gears).

Deanna
    Hi Deanna
    I've ridden both versions
    paddleshiftets and standard.
    I like them both and can live with both.

Im trying to find out which has more mechanical issues or failures.
    Do both systems last as long without maintenance?
    Does one work better in the mountains or the hills?
    Anything that might tip the odds in favor for paddles or standard shifting:-)

I have standard plus column
    fun going through the gears
    less up front costs
    less electronics to fail

Paddle shifter plus column
    just press a button
    anybody with no shifting experience can ride it to bring it home or move it.
    No hand fatigue in lots of hills

So I'm thinking mechanically strongest/safest would be my decision maker?
    decisions decisions...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There have been some failures of the gear position sensors on the SE6 and some hydraulic leaks on the SM6. Less problems or failures probably go with manual (SM), but it's close. The transmissions are the same with the SE needing a filter change at 28,000 miles.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 04-24-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There have been some failures of the gear position sensors on the SE6 and some hydraulic leaks on the SM6. Less problems or failures probably go with manual (SM), but it's close. The transmissions are the same with the SE needing a filter change at 28,000 miles.
    I'm a little confused.
    The same?
    In my head I'm thinking the SE6 (paddle shift version) would be electronically shifted with a valve body in the transmission.
    The SM6 (standard) would be like a motorcycle and push a series of clutches and you manually select the gear (s)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The F3-S comes with cruise control (F3 doesn't) and neither have heated grips. Cruise can be added to the F3 easily as well the heated grips and are reasonably priced accessories.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heyya!

I've liked the Spyder since seeing a green 08' at my local dealer.
    I want a Spyder!!
    Take some long rides
    Enjoy the mountains
    Thanks
    Al
    I finally got my 2012 RS, btw, I live in Saratoga! So close. I have a love affair with my Spyder, being Canadian and all. The best thing is to take a test ride. The dealership in Livermore does test rides but you should call to see if someone is available to take you out. That's the closest that does service, and they're kind of douchebags, so it really helps if you can work on it yourself. The Spyder is a unique beast, kind of temperamental, but too much fun! Completely different from a 2 wheeler, the first time I went around a corner I thought I was gonna fly off! But now I zip around pretty good. If you plan on taking your wife, the RS is kind of uncomfortable for the passenger without a backrest.
    let me know if you have any questions

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JagHag View Post
    I finally got my 2012 RS, btw, I live in Saratoga! So close. I have a love affair with my Spyder, being Canadian and all. The best thing is to take a test ride. The dealership in Livermore does test rides but you should call to see if someone is available to take you out. That's the closest that does service, and they're kind of douchebags, so it really helps if you can work on it yourself. The Spyder is a unique beast, kind of temperamental, but too much fun! Completely different from a 2 wheeler, the first time I went around a corner I thought I was gonna fly off! But now I zip around pretty good. If you plan on taking your wife, the RS is kind of uncomfortable for the passenger without a backrest.
    let me know if you have any questions
    Good to know somebody local!!
    Ive actually decided on an F3-S or T
    i was settled on a T until I found a helmet doesn't fit in the rear bags.
    I think I'd rather purchase an S and install my own bags (that fit a helmet) and fairing (even if it's oem to the T model).
    I can at that point have somebody set up some shock for me:-)
    PS The new guys in San Jose let you test ride.