Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to the Site and Seeking Advise

I've liked the Spyder since seeing a green 08' at my local dealer.
    Problem was I couldn't get any of my friends interested in even looking at one much less buying one.
    I currently own 11 1000cc and above motorcycles with most of them being early 80's street bikes.
    I've also gone the route of a couple sport cruisers in the way of a Kawi Concours and a BMW K1200s
    I've always preferred a basic straight up riding position.
    Im turning 56 this May and due to a little crazier past I have a complete replacement right hip and right knee along with a repaired severed ACL in the left knee.
    My wife and I are very active on PWC and cruising the Delta.
    Well, I think you know where I'm heading with all this.
    I want a Spyder!!
    My real question is what do I need??
    Sport, touring, twin, triple?
    I'm kind of lost but know I want to tool around town
    Take some long rides
    Enjoy the mountains
    I'd love to get some help narrowing the field.
    Suggestions or ideas very WELCOME.
    Thanks
    Al

Spyder Garage

Well as you might expect there is no correct answer to your question. First, most people will tell you whichever Spyder they have is the best one. That's fine, we all bought the one that we liked best. It just depends on what your main purpose for the bike is. If you like taking trips, you want an RT. If you want to cruise around town with a sporty attitude, probably an F-3. If you want to feel the road beneath you and the wind in your face, probably an RS. They all have their place.
    I've had an RS and now have an RT. For my personal preference I like the creature comforts and storage of an RT. Your going to have to take some test drives to see what suits you, and how much money you want to spend. I'm sure you'll find the right one in short order after that. Good luck, have fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We can't tell you what to buy...
    But most of us will offer an opinion anyway!
    It all comes down to comfort: what do you need, to make you and your Better-Half feel the best after a day in the saddle.
    The RT is the mileage-gobbler" of the bunch. It offers the best two-up long distance comfort.
    The RS is at the opposite end of the spectrum. It's the sportiest, but the seating position might be too aggressive for a long day in the saddle.
    The ST is a compromise. It gives a more relaxed seating position in the sportier bike.
    The F3 offers cruiser seating. It is the latest design, and sits you down into the bike much lower.

The vee-twin is a "revver"; let it climb up into the rev range that it likes, and it'll SING!
    The triple is a "torque", and offers about a 20% increase in fuel economy...

Your choice... Happy Shopping!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default TO YOUR LIKING

The previous posts give very good input on the model of bike you would like to own. Like it was said, it depends on where you ride, if you have a rider with you and comfort. At my age, the RTL model fits my needs. I like to tour the back roads and the country side but yet it handles very well on the open roads. Best advice is to try out the different models and go for it. We would welcome you to the club!

Spyder Garage

Default New to site and seeking advice.

Remember, you get what you pay for! I have knee, spinal cord, shoulder, hand and wrist issues. All that and arthritis everywhere. Sitting in the crotch rocket type position was never an option so I never thought I would be able to ride one. With my issues I finally got a bolt on trike kit for my Midnight Venture. It was nice but the shoulders did not like steering and the riding was not as fun especially for my wife; choppy/rocky on the pasenger. Sat on a 2013 RT and liked it. Tried it out and was sold. One reason I tried one was the electric assisted power steering!!! With my shoulders and neck issues, it was a chore to steer the Venture and I was ready to give up riding. The Spyder is more two wheel like in that you want to "lean" in turns. My wife says it is the best riding bike of the 4 we have owned; '81 Honda CB 900, '85 Goldwing Aspencade and the Venture which was my favorite until this RT. I added highway pegs so I could stretch out my 6'0" 250lbs. (I'm lowballing my weight!) frame. Floorboards and heel toe shifter and Bead rider cushions. However, the most important thing I did was make the seat my own! I doctored mine after reading remarks and reviews on this great sight. Cut out the lunbar support to give me more room and added a back rest. I even replaced the stock foam in the back rest with softer foam because it was too stiff. Trial and little error. For some the after market seats are great. For me the after market/retirement wallet did my refining. Good hunting and try many models.

Spyder Garage

All you need is your Gut feeling. Go to the Spyder store near you and look. If there is one there you cant live with out, then show interest and they will make you a deal you cant refuse. That is where the adventure begins.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ergonomics

"Every picture tells a story..."

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-11-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

If you have leg problems like some of us, get one that you can move your legs around. Floorboars with pegs are what I like. if I cant move to different positions, my hips start to cramp.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have a dealer near you that rents Spyders, I would recommend renting one for a day. With me personally a 10 min test ride didn't work. I hated the Spyder. Then after reading all the does and don'ts for new Spyder owners on this site, I tried it again.
    I rented one for a day and found that I hated it for the first 50 miles, that is when I learned to relax and quit with the death grip on the handlebars, and from that point on I was HOOKED! I purchased mine just about a month later when I found the color I wanted in stock. It did take a little bit to get used to not counter steering and leaning in the corners, but one you are accustomed to it you can scream around the corners and have the ride of your life!

The last 2 bikes that we toured on were Yamaha Venture Royals, and my wife says that the ride on the Spyder is MUCH better. It is nothing for us to put on 400-600 miles in a day without here complaining or wanting off. It was me on the Spyder. I found that factory seat to hurt my hips and I replaced it with a Russel Day Long Saddle. Now I have no complaints on the long rides either.

As far as a twin or a triple, I have never owned a twin, but the maintenance cost that have been posted here for the triple are much lower than the twin. But there again it will depend on the model you get.

I love my 2015 RTL, but I must say that the F3 looks like a riot to ride.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

You really have to go to the dealer and start by sitting on them and then taking something out for a test drive. It is all about the feel and comfort only you can judge.

And.... Welcome to Spyderlovers!!!!!
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

You need to sit on the various models first. See which one, or ones you think you like. Next ride them. You will figure it out. And have fun doing it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Suggestion

Take a ride up to Elk Grove Power Sports and test Ryde all of the models, then make a decision. From what you have described that you like to do. It might be an RT, but they will all be a little different. EGPS is the best dealer in Northern California with a great service department and great honest sales staff. You can't g wrong. Tell them Larry and Annette sent you and ask for Allen in the sales department. They will fit you into the right motorcycle. Then come on out on a Ryde with the Spyder Ryders of America Sacramento Chapter (srasacramento.com) then register for the Nor-Cal Spyder Ralley. You will have a blast. https://sites.google.com/site/norcalspyderrally/
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

First of all Thanks for the kind welcome to your site!!
    Ive been doing a bit of reading on the site and with the comments above I know a couple things that I must have.
    Triple cylinder versus the twin based on torque numbers alone.
    I couldn't get a "feel" for which is a smoother power plant but I'm assuming that belongs to the triple as well.
    The other thing that really caught my attention is that you sit into the newer Spyder, I think I'd prefer a lower center of gravity.
    Ill be visiting the dealer on Tuesday and feel I'm better versed in what I'm looking for.
    Ergos are what sell me on my watercraft (just bought a sea Doo 300RXT-X).
    Then I like gobs of acceleration-no real reason, I just like it.
    Thank You ALL for the suggestions and input.
    Ill post up as I get closer to my decision.
    Ive got some test rides to do:-)

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like the RT myself. Wise decision to go with the Spyder brand. They are nice machines. you got mail.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

This gets asked a lot. Through the years of being here I have found the only solution and recommendation is to go out there and try them all. As mentioned above we all love out rydes got them for our own reasons and would not admit to our mistakes. many move on up to what they feel is the better ryde for them. They are expensive and we realize you don't want to err in your choice. Test ryde them all it is half the fun of getting one and the best way to make up your mind. Let not looks nor color influence you go for the comfort and handling..jmho...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ph2ocraft View Post
    First of all Thanks for the kind welcome to your site!!
    Ive been doing a bit of reading on the site and with the comments above I know a couple things that I must have.
    Triple cylinder versus the twin based on torque numbers alone.
    I couldn't get a "feel" for which is a smoother power plant but I'm assuming that belongs to the triple as well.
    The other thing that really caught my attention is that you sit into the newer Spyder, I think I'd prefer a lower center of gravity.
    Ill be visiting the dealer on Tuesday and feel I'm better versed in what I'm looking for.
    Ergos are what sell me on my watercraft (just bought a sea Doo 300RXT-X).
    Then I like gobs of acceleration-no real reason, I just like it.
    Thank You ALL for the suggestions and input.
    Ill post up as I get closer to my decision.
    Ive got some test rides to do:-)
    Now comes the FUN part...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

It all comes down to comfort: what do you need, to make you and your Better-Half feel the best after a day in the saddle.
    The RT is the mileage-gobbler" of the bunch. It offers the best two-up long distance comfort.
    The RS is at the opposite end of the spectrum. It's the sportiest, but the seating position might be too aggressive for a long day in the saddle.
    The ST is a compromise. It gives a more relaxed seating position in the sportier bike.
    The F3 offers cruiser seating. It is the latest design, and sits you down into the bike much lower.

The vee-twin is a "revver"; let it climb up into the rev range that it likes, and it'll SING!

"Every picture tells a story..."

http://cycle-ergo.com/

I agree with Bob's post about the different models. The egos illustrated will depend on your height and inseam. Another choice you didn't mention is manual (SM) or semi-automatic (SE) transmissions.

I just say test drive them all and then decide which fits your needs the most.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

and enjoy the hunt. As others have said, a test drive or two will help determine what you like best.

I have had five assorted--see signature pictures below. I recommend a 2014 or later if your budget will allow it. The triple is a sweeter engine than the twin. Less maintenance also.

2015 or higher added the F3 configuration. They come in sport, touring, and LTD. All RT's now have the triple and three basic levels of trim also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

I just say test drive them all and then decide which fits your needs the most.
    Or bring a REALLY fat wallet to the dealership...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    You really have to go to the dealer and start by sitting on them and then taking something out for a test drive. It is all about the feel and comfort only you can judge.

And.... Welcome to Spyderlovers!!!!!
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Sit on and ride the different models. Then let your checkbook decide!!
    good luck!!

Spyder Garage

Have fun choosing! I eliminated the RS right off the bat due to the position and lack of storage. This year at bike week in Daytona, my husband and I rode all the other models. I enjoyed them all and would have been happy with any of them.

With that being said, I ended up with a new 2013 RT (leftovers). Originally, I felt the RT was more for "old people ", but I love having all the goodies and it would have cost a fortune to add everything I wanted to one of the other models. Incidentally, my loves going to the mall and spending the day shopping.

Moral of the story: ride them all and consider carefully the pros and cons for each one based on the type of riding you will be doing.

Best of luck to you!

Spyder Garage

First things first:

Now, as you can see, there are as many opinions as there are Spyder Lovers!!
    We've come from 40 years riding 2 up. The last three bikes before the Spyder were Yamaha Venture Royales.
    Several years ago I got the courage to get my motorcycle endorsement. I rode a Honda Reflex around town but we still rode 2 up when we traveled. We enjoy traveling by motorcycle and have logged a lot of miles. Three years ago we made the plunge to a Spyder, 2012 RT Limited. We really like the seating style, more upright, that the RT offers. We did sit on all of them, test rode the RT and we were sold!! Just be careful, you run the risk of an infestation-- we are now a 2 Spyder family!! We succumbed this winter. Got a great deal on a 2010 RT with only 1100 miles on it. You will have to try them all to see which fits you the best. Also, a good dealer is critical. We have 2 that we work with and they are both great. Good luck with your decision and have fun test riding!!

Spyder Garage

First off after riding a spyder you'll wish you did it sooner. Second, depending on how bad the hip and knee still are you might want to look into the HAND break. Good luck.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Take a ride up to Elk Grove Power Sports and test Ryde all of the models, then make a decision. From what you have described that you like to do. It might be an RT, but they will all be a little different. EGPS is the best dealer in Northern California with a great service department and great honest sales staff. You can't g wrong. Tell them Larry and Annette sent you and ask for Allen in the sales department. They will fit you into the right motorcycle. Then come on out on a Ryde with the Spyder Ryders of America Sacramento Chapter (srasacramento.com) then register for the Nor-Cal Spyder Ralley. You will have a blast. https://sites.google.com/site/norcalspyderrally/
    I came down from Nevada to buy my RT from Elk Grove Power Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by C3517C View Post
    Well as you might expect there is no correct answer to your question. First, most people will tell you whichever Spyder they have is the best one. That's fine, we all bought the one that we liked best. It just depends on what your main purpose for the bike is. If you like taking trips, you want an RT. If you want to cruise around town with a sporty attitude, probably an F-3. If you want to feel the road beneath you and the wind in your face, probably an RS. They all have their place.
    I've had an RS and now have an RT. For my personal preference I like the creature comforts and storage of an RT. Your going to have to take some test drives to see what suits you, and how much money you want to spend. I'm sure you'll find the right one in short order after that. Good luck, have fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk