Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dash Goes blank and engine won't start?!

Today after a ride I turned off the key and checked the oil, added a little and then tried to start so I could check again. When I pressed the start button the console went blank and it would not even attempt to start. I then turned the key off and back on but the console remained blank. I tried this a couple of more times with no luck. I then removed the key and took it in the house for almost an hour, tried again, after a longer than normal interval the console came on, I pressed the mode switch, everything normal so far, pressed the start switch and again the console blanked out and it would not start, so far it's still blank and won't start. Any ideas? 2012 RT-S with no electrical additions.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Default Electrical....

Start with the battery connections, then the battery cause that will be the source of your problems. If you can get some jumpers to the spyder and all works normal then it will be the battery. If it still does nothing it will be in the cable connections....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your battery's shot. That's the typical response when the battery just doesn't have the oomph left in it to start the bike.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Your battery's shot. That's the typical response when the battery just doesn't have the oomph left in it to start the bike.
    No simple charging will fix it either You may get lucky with a loose or corroded terminal but a fresh battery will keep you going longer. Good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STARTING ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Start with the battery connections, then the battery cause that will be the source of your problems. If you can get some jumpers to the spyder and all works normal then it will be the battery. If it still does nothing it will be in the cable connections....
    .....Plus, it may be the battery itself......Have you kept it on a MAINTAINER when not riding ????....All RT's have a larger PARASITIC draw than the other Spyders.......and the Magneto in yours is marginal at re-placing a charge into the battery...........PS, unless the Battery has " SULFATED " you may be able to bring it back ......but you must keep it on a maintainer.......................Mike

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i keep mine on a maintainer when I'm not riding it. I know the battery will soon wear out regardless, but it does last longer that way. from my experiences.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

The voltage has drops below 10V when you press the start button.

1. Loose, corroded battery connection. Clean and tighten.
    2. Dead battery. Recharge the battery.
    3. Bad battery? Recharge and have it load tested.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Is this something that would happen with no previous warning? I had just made a trip of around 30 miles with a short stop for gas after the first 10 miles or so. What brand battery would you use as a replacement? I am looking at the MotoBatt MBTX24U. The old Battery is the original OEM battery, so it may be time to replace it anyway.
    Ed

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

You are going to get a lot of opinions about batteries; here's mine. You have a 2012, so you are most likely due for a battery. I get mine at BatteriesPlus. They have a two year warranty and I have used them on several of my vehicles and rechargeable devices. They work very well.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    You are going to get a lot of opinions about batteries; here's mine. You have a 2012, so you are most likely due for a battery. I get mine at BatteriesPlus. They have a two year warranty and I have used them on several of my vehicles and rechargeable devices. They work very well.

Yes I know, potentially 20,000. I have also use Batteries Plus before and was pleased with them.
    Ed

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

I would also check the charging system. You said you were just out on a ride, so it should have put some energy back into the battery. The battery could be bad, but if the charging is not working you'll just have this happen again real soon.

Spyder Garage

Ours did the same thing, then after about 2 months without a problem again, had to trailer it to the dealer. The had to replace the "Gauge Cluster". My only complaint is when that happens, they cannot update to the actual millage of the bike!
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    Is this something that would happen with no previous warning? I had just made a trip of around 30 miles with a short stop for gas after the first 10 miles or so. What brand battery would you use as a replacement? I am looking at the MotoBatt MBTX24U. The old Battery is the original OEM battery, so it may be time to replace it anyway.
    Yes, no previous warning. I store my 2013 RT Ltd on tender all year. Rode to dealer 35+ miles for a later alignment. Tech did alignment and couldn't start w/o a jump. Battery readings way below normal. New battery solved it. Not a warning, can go anytime.
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Default GUAGE CLUSTER

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    Ours did the same thing, then after about 2 months without a problem again, had to trailer it to the dealer. The had to replace the "Gauge Cluster". My only complaint is when that happens, they cannot update to the actual millage of the bike!
    This is interesting !!!!......... did they tell you why it needed to be re-placed ?????.....Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm not at all sure that batteries actually last longer using maintainers.
    What I am fairly certain of is that on Spyders batteries appear to last longer on maintainers.

All modern vehicles use small amounts of battery power just sitting there doing nothing.
    The Spyder is no exception.
    What seems to set the Spyder apart is that this drain (called parasitic drain) seems to vary widely in Spyders.

I think I blame, at least in the RT, the radio.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    I'm not at all sure that batteries actually last longer using maintainers.
    You could be right. The single biggest benefit to using the maintainer is the Spyder is ready to start and go whenever you want! It will also prevent deep discharging which is not good for vehicle lead acid batteries, and can shorten battery life. How much .

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Yes and no. The Spyder chokes on a poor performing battery, not just a dead one. When you hit the starter the high current draw will drop the voltage dramatically. If the battery is not up to par that drop will take the voltage below something around 10 to 10.5. The Spyder cluster will not function with voltage less than about 10, even for a moment. The starter is controlled by the cluster and ECM, not the start button. You could quite possible take a battery that won't start a Spyder and put it into a Goldwing and have it start, albeit sluggishly.

In short, the Spyder needs a very healthy battery to start, not just a so-so battery that will start other bikes. The health drops gradually but when it hits the minimum level the Spyder needs the resulting choking is sudden.

There are other good batteries out there, but all things considered for overall performance vs dollars the Yuasa battery is at the top of the heap. Especially if you can buy it at a discount which usually means online. The Yuasa battery in my Honda ATV lasted 8 years even with it not being on a maintainer most of the time and going totally dead more than once!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is interesting !!!!......... did they tell you why it needed to be re-placed ?????.....Mike
    Just that instrument cluster went bad! Time will tell if that is really true!
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

As others have mentioned above, it sounds like a battery on its last legs. They do quit without any previous warning and I have always had that in the back of my mind when making long trips away from the dealer.

We have a 2011 and since it has not sold, I am planning on replacing the battery this riding season. It has slept every off season from 2012 to now on a battery tender. Started right up this season--but--it's time for a change, just to be safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default on the advice of so many of you

I got a new battery, but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to put it in yet. I will let know what happens.
    Ed

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Charging

Make certain the battery has been fully charged before installing . A reputable dealer should inform you of that and a lot will tell you the battery is already charged . A lot of people think they can drop in a new battery and then charge it by letting the bike idle , this won't work and you'll discharge the battery even further and may not start the next time you try.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    Make certain the battery has been fully charged before installing . A reputable dealer should inform you of that and a lot will tell you the battery is already charged . A lot of people think they can drop in a new battery and then charge it by letting the bike idle , this won't work and you'll discharge the battery even further and may not start the next time you try.
    Thousand times ditto on this. Even if a dealer tells you it is already charged, I would still hook it to a charger and let it top off. How it is prepared before the first time it has a load applied plays a big role in how long it will last.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default BAD CLUSTER ?????

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    Just that instrument cluster went bad! Time will tell if that is really true!
    The reason I'm curious about this is........I had a different issue and the Dealer also wanted to re-place the CLUSTER to fix it..............After getting some BETTER info here I told the Dealer not to....that His FIX wouldn't even work !!!!!.......It turned out my CLUSTER wasn't the problem................I don't trust DEALERS for a reason !!!!.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Well Darn it

I went to replace my battery today and what do you know the instructions and pics I have are different than actual. I am unable to remove the old battery. The pics show the battery crosswise of the bike but it is parallel with the bike and half covered so no access to the positive terminal, and not enough room to move the battery to lift it out. Back to the drawing board to look for different instructions and pics.
    Ed

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

I went to replace my battery today and what do you know the instructions and pics I have are different than actual. I am unable to remove the old battery. The pics show the battery crosswise of the bike but it is parallel with the bike and half covered so no access to the positive terminal, and not enough room to move the battery to lift it out. Back to the drawing board to look for different instructions and pics.
    In 2013 the battery was moved to the front with access to it from the frunk. Those must be the instructions you received.

2014 Copper RTS