Thread: Alignment off?

Spyder Garage

Default Alignment off?

I am a recent convert to the spyder world, bought a 2012 RSS late last fall. I come from the world of two wheels and of course cages. I have read a lot about the "twitchy" feeling of riding a spyder but unfortunately I have no frame of reference if mine is "good" or "off". Is there a "test" I could do that would tell me if I need an alignment. I fortunately I live a long way away from anyone that does laser alignments. I would consider making a road trip to have it done but would like some idea if it is going to need it or not. I know mine feels like it wants to wander a bit but nothing that makes me feel anxious but I haven't spent any long periods riding at higher speeds. When would I notice the effect of a poor alignment the most?

Anyone have some guidance on how I might be able to tell somehow on a DIY basis if it is required?

From everything I have read it sounds like it is a waste of time and money to take it to a dealership that doesn't do laser alignments. I am sure if it was way out they could make some improvements but I would like it to be the best it can be and that sounds like investing the time to drive to a location that could do it. Unfortunately that would be a full two day drive for me.

Spyder Garage

this is a real basic test ..................

inflate both front tires to the same PSI (between 18 - 20 Lbs) make sure they are at the same pressure, inflate rear tire to 28 Lbs. find a smooth parking lot and see if the spyder wants to wander the same way on several tries when you release the handlebars at a moderate speed. this will at least let you know if it is way off.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEARNING CURVE

Spyders DON'T feel like anything else out there ...not even other " TRIKES ".......A light touch works best ....REALLY.....I doubt anyone can actually FEEL an out-of-alignment Spyder ....unless it is really really really way out of wack .........The wear pattern of the front tires is what will tell you how bad the alignment is.....Some Spyders , from the factory were actually pretty close to perfect , but that is rare.......sooooooooooooo you can wait until the tires tell you or just get a GENUINE ROLO/OUTLAW Lazer alignment......the one from BRP sucks .....jmho....Mike

Spyder Garage

Joe is right. First easy step is to check the tire pressures. If the fronts are too high. It can feel twitchy. If they are uneven it can pull.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

my 2012 rts felt like was fighting a crosswind all the time. had a laser alignment done on it and it handles great now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine felt like it was always pulling to the left when I got my '14 RTL. The dealer put new tires on which helped some. I noticed it most in curves. I felt like the tires were fighting each other. I got an alignment done and it made a world of difference. The curves smoothed out a lot and no more pulling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I doubt anyone can actually FEEL an out-of-alignment Spyder...
    The method mentioned by Cruzrjoe will give a good indication of whether or not the spyder is aligned properly. The best would obviously be to have someone with the Rolo system check it, but he doesn't have anyone near him.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Spokane

We will be in Spokane,WA, June 8,9. Why not ride down and let us check it for you? Give me a call to make an appointment. We will get you Squared Away! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Laser alignment

Thank you. That isn't a bad ride. Are you going to be anywhere else close to western Canada this summer if those dates don't work out?

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We will be in Spokane,WA, June 8,9. Why not ride down and let us check it for you? Give me a call to make an appointment. We will get you Squared Away! Joe