Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIR HORN

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default AIR HORN

Ordered a stebel compact air horn and a plug n play wiring harness. I read a number of great contributions made on how and where to install it. I have a 13 RTL and cant wait to install it. I expect to see it next week. Wisconsin is still receiving the cold and snow and with my heated garage, I hopefully will install it next week. Safety is always a big issue and anything to minimize problems is well worth it. I ordered both items through amazon. I hope the blast will blow off my socks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the wise choice!

And it will!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Your going to love the stebel air horn.Just installed mine last week on my 2014 RTL.I also used the plug and play harness with the relay.Very easy install.I have installed the stebel on my last 3 bikes and wouldn't be without it.You will be seen when you hit that horn button.

Spyder Garage

Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm just south of Milwaukee.

Justcalldon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What we really need here: a video showing a comparison of the Stocker and the Stebel...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPIDR1 View Post
    Ordered a stebel compact air horn and a plug n play wiring harness. I read a number of great contributions made on how and where to install it. I have a 13 RTL and cant wait to install it. I expect to see it next week. Wisconsin is still receiving the cold and snow and with my heated garage, I hopefully will install it next week. Safety is always a big issue and anything to minimize problems is well worth it. I ordered both items through amazon. I hope the blast will blow off my socks.
    You will appreciate the difference in the sound. I also have a 2013 RTL and added a Wolo Bad Boy air horn, which is the same as the Stebel. We mounted it in the same location as the original horn behind the left front panel under the fog light area. There is a hole in that area that goes down into the airway for the horn to stick through. We had to enlarge the hole to accommodate the larger horn, but it fit securely up in that space.

IMO, you are wise to use the wiring harness with the relay. After checking the 2013 electrical schematics, I discovered that there are several different accessories running off the same fuse as the horn, including the heated hand grips, heated passenger grips, and the fog lights. So I used the original horn button wires to operate a relay, and took the power for the horn right off the battery buss. (Click on the thumbnail attachment below for the wiring diagram I used.)

With the new horn in place, the only way to see it, without removing panels, is to shine a flashlight up the Spyder's left "nostril" and you can see it up there in front of the upper suspension arm and shock absorber. That's how I shot the flash picture below.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What we really need here: a video showing a comparison of the Stocker and the Stebel...
    Good idea. We do have a post with sound clips HERE comparing the Bad Boy (Stebel) with the Bad Boy Max. No stock horn, though.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks for your input

Great pics and info. Just one question looking at the pic showing the horn. Is it possible to install it with the front wheels up on car ramps for better access front underneath?

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    You will appreciate the difference in the sound. I also have a 2013 RTL and added a Wolo Bad Boy air horn, which is the same as the Stebel. We mounted it in the same location as the original horn behind the left front panel under the fog light area. There is a hole in that area that goes down into the airway for the horn to stick through. We had to enlarge the hole to accommodate the larger horn, but it fit securely up in that space.

IMO, you are wise to use the wiring harness with the relay. After checking the 2013 electrical schematics, I discovered that there are several different accessories running off the same fuse as the horn, including the heated hand grips, heated passenger grips, and the fog lights. So I used the original horn button wires to operate a relay, and took the power for the horn right off the battery buss. (Click on the thumbnail attachment below for the wiring diagram I used.)

With the new horn in place, the only way to see it, without removing panels, is to shine a flashlight up the Spyder's left "nostril" and you can see it up there in front of the upper suspension arm and shock absorber. That's how I shot the flash picture below.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Location

Our rusty spokes are located in the Fox Valley, Appleton area.

Quote Originally Posted by justcalldon View Post
    Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm just south of Milwaukee.

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT Install

It's pretty easy to install on the '15. Remove left body panel the old horn and make a short little bracket and bolt on. I did the relay harness also which was probably the most time consuming to get the wires run properly without conflict.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Question on installation

On my 13 rtl which is the 990 engine, would the placement or location of the horn be different than your 1300?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vstrommer View Post
    It's pretty easy to install on the '15. Remove left body panel the old horn and make a short little bracket and bolt on. I did the relay harness also which was probably the most time consuming to get the wires run properly without conflict.

Spyder Garage

Great pics and info. Just one question looking at the pic showing the horn. Is it possible to install it with the front wheels up on car ramps for better access front underneath?
    To be honest, my horn was installed by a mechanic at the same time I was having other work done. But I watched part of the job. Car ramps would not get in the way of this job, since it's done from the side and not from underneath. Whenever I do any work on my Spyder, I tend to lift it just because, with my old knees, I don't like working on the ground.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

I am installing the sebel horn on my 2012 RTL. I cannot see how to remove the front plastic piece around the headlight so I can get to my stock. Any thoughts? I have the other panels off

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my 13 rtl which is the 990 engine, would the placement or location of the horn be different than your 1300?
    Thanks
    Yep! The '13 RT is the toughest of the bunch to find space to install an air horn. There's an oil tank that takes up the space that is available on the '14 & later, and battery jumper posts that occupy the space some have used on the '12 and earlier. The space where the stock horn is is the best place for the horn you have. The lack of space is why I went with trumpet horns. I barely had space to squeeze in the compressor. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hlight=trumpet. I like the sound they make so well I added a set to my 2014 RTS with the compressor down where vstrommer put his horn.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default WIRING

Received via sunday us mail the plug n play wiring kit. Looking it over, it looks like it will be easy to install. Glad that I ordered it especially for the 40 amp relay. Better to be on the safe side than the sorry side. In a couple of days, the air horn should arrive. Then the fun begins.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP

Can't believe it...It is warm or warmer up in North Eastern Wisconsin....I have the 13 RTL up on car ramps....Located where the OE horn is located which is in the front of the nose facing down thru a hole cut out...Feeling around, I can feel the 2 leads going to the horn....I cannot see what kind of plug ins on the wires being used....Also, there is no slack in the wires....According to the plug n play wire kit, I will have to splice into these 2 wires...I am going to leave the OE horn where it is...I noticed that there is a bolt hole cut out on the frame right next to the horn....I am thinking of mounting the air horn to this hole....Any ideas from the experts on how they hooked up the leads to the horn wires? Any other ideas would be very welcomed! This is coming from an old fart with bad legs and knees and trying to get the job done the easiest....Happy riding guys!!!!!....BTY, one of our riders just bought a can am RTL and selling his 2 wheeler....Up to 6 Can Am's in the Rusty Spoke gang....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BIG THANK YOU!

Thanks to everyone....the air horn is mounted and blaring!!!!...with the big help from my son and some fiddling and making a bracket, it is in...Glad also that I got the plug n play harness and it made it very simple to install....thought at first I was going to have to put wire extensions on the wires going to the OE wiring and to the horn compressor, but had plenty!...Monday morning will head down to MacDonalds to meet up with the fellows and let them hear me coming...Again, thanks guys for all your input.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have decided to go with the Stebel Nautilus horn are people getting them from amazon? or the local shop?
    on amazon i see different ones listing 139db

Spyder Garage

Default Air Horn

Did you get that air horn installed? I wonder how much of a job it was? I am located in new London and have a 2012 RT.
    Karl in New London, WI

Spyder Garage

I've installed the Stebel, WoLo and this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111400001326...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is slightly more compact, and seems a bit better built. Just as loud though.

I made my own harness and tapped the horn wire for signal. It works great and wakes up the cagers!

I ride in any weather except ice, year round, and it has been perfect.

This is the simple horn relay diagram, easy to do.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    I've installed the Stebel, WoLo and this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111400001326...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is slightly more compact, and seems a bit better built. Just as loud though.

I made my own harness and tapped the horn wire for signal. It works great and wakes up the cagers!

I ride in any weather except ice, year round, and it has been perfect.
    Is this on your wife's STS? How about a pic from a little farther back? Having only closeups makes it tough to get a good overall view where on the bike it's mounted.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Wolo use.

I have found that ever since I installed the Wolo, I have NEVER had to use the horn (but I have not been near a big city in that time). I now use it to warn cattle not to wander onto the road as I am about to pass........mind you, the cattle are in a fenced paddock, but I have to get SOME use out of the Wolo.......(I think the farmer might be getting a bit annoyed though!
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Is this on your wife's STS? How about a pic from a little farther back? Having only closeups makes it tough to get a good overall view where on the bike it's mounted.
    That is on my BMW R1200GS, but I will be putting one on my wife's St-S in the very near future, already on order. I will post photos of the install!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The wiring diagram that has been posted on here for stebel/wolo horns shows hooking up to the battery for power to the horn thru the relay. Has anyone used power from some other place for the horn? Thanks.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Relay/battery

I used a heavy duty relay ( 30 amps) and heavy gauge wire throughout and direct to battery positive. Soldered connections are best ( yes I solder the ring connectors) Striebl is LOUD.

Wimpy horns cause:::::::::::::::::::: Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow