Spyder Garage

Cool Ride-On vs. Beads vs nothing??

Rear tire on a 2014 RT Limited with approximately 6,200 miles, is wearing thin in middle. Going to replace with Kumho Ecsta 225/50-R15 car tire and was interested in everyone's thoughts, pro's or con's on weather to use Ride-on tire sealant or tire beads or just have the tire installed and balanced. Any thoughts would be Greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Basically you get;

Beads - Dynamic balancing (Quickly balances the tire under any circumstance)
    Ride-On- Dynamic Balancing + Puncture Sealant (Can experience 'Out-of-Balance' condition after long non-use or sitting in very cold weather which may take several miles to work out. Goo in the tire)
    Nothing - Static Balance (Static in that though dynamically balanced on a machine, the balance does not adjust for speed or tire wear)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Used beads with a Kumho tire and it worked great.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Basically you get;

Beads - Dynamic balancing (Quickly balances the tire under any circumstance)
    Ride-On- Dynamic Balancing + Puncture Sealant (Can experience 'Out-of-Balance' condition after long non-use or sitting in very cold weather which may take several miles to work out. Goo in the tire)
    Nothing - Static Balance (Static in that though dynamically balanced on a machine, the balance does not adjust for speed or tire wear)
    Thanks for the info. Sooooo, if the shoe was on the other foot(per say) which one of the 3 would you do personally?

Spyder Garage

Cool Tire

Quote Originally Posted by LJspydee View Post
    Used beads with a Kumho tire and it worked great.
    Are you satisfied with the Kumho car tire? Any regrets? Thanks for your time and opinion.

Spyder Garage

I'd buy it again.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRE BALANCING

Always balance the front tires .....ALWAYS ......no matter what method you use .....................As for the rear, I balanced my first rear tire change......to a car tire , but on my last three I haven't and I can't tell the difference. There doesn't appear to be any wear differences balanced or not.......I think it has to do with the fact that the rear axel is supported on both sides.............jmho....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising RT View Post
    Thanks for the info. Sooooo, if the shoe was on the other foot(per say) which one of the 3 would you do personally?
    I use and recommend Ride-On. It has some drawbacks (which I consider minor but others don't). But the truth is, everything has drawbacks. You want to get the positives that are most important to you. And avoid the negatives that are the least attractive to you. Sometimes this is pretty easy. Other times, not so much.

I like the fact that Ride-On does a good job of balancing the tires and also gives puncture protection. I still recommend getting your tires balanced if at all possible (especially the fronts. And Ride-On also helps the tires run cooler which theoretically helps prevent cord separation and reduces tread wear. I'll take their word for it on these.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ride On for me in all three tires. No need to have the tires balanced at time of installation as Ride-On does that. I have never had a tire shop refuse, or add extra to change a tire due to the Ride-On being in there, and I do tell them up front that it is in there.

It works great!

The only draw back for me is the time it takes to put it in.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Beads for me.... And rear tire only as was said... I get the fronts spin balanced at a car tire place.

I am not a ride on person myself and I carry a tire repair plug kit should I need it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire balance

On the rear tire I would do nothing. I just changed my rear tire 2014 rt limited and did nothing and it is smoother than the Kenda. If you are not satisfied after installing then you can install beads or the ride on. On the front tires I would definitely balance.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Slime?

Rear tire on a 2014 RT Limited with approximately 6,200 miles, is wearing thin in middle. Going to replace with Kumho Ecsta 225/50-R15 car tire and was interested in everyone's thoughts, pro's or con's on weather to use Ride-on tire sealant or tire beads or just have the tire installed and balanced. Any thoughts would be Greatly appreciated.
    Has anyone use slime? My dealer recommends using weights and slime.
    Two-lane blacktop isn't a highway — it's an attitude. ~Author Unknown

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Kumho

Are you satisfied with the Kumho car tire? Any regrets? Thanks for your time and opinion.
    I have them on all three corners and totally love them. I'll never use any other tire. For the right air pressure in each just chalk them.
    Two-lane blacktop isn't a highway — it's an attitude. ~Author Unknown

Spyder Garage

Default My experience with tires....

I've went through 2 rear tire changes and 1 front tire change and have approx. 26,000 miles on our 2014 RT Limited. As we all know, the factory rear OEM tire didn't last at all and it was changed out around 8,000 miles (I should have changed it at 6,000 miles as it was a "slick" when it was changed).

Decided on the Kumho tire for the rear and it lasted approx. 14,000 miles - good! It performed well and I like it. However, many Spyderlovers went to the General Altimax on the rear, so that's what I have now and it's also performing fine.

I changed my front OEM tires to the Kumho Solus and it took me awhile to get used to those tires. I have a BajaRon Swaybar and shock adjusters and can really hug the cornering. I noticed the front Kumho Solus (when new) seems to not grab as well and the bike would push them and lose a little traction. I'm use to them now, but it was scary as the OEM did a great job of gribbing in corners for me. I may look at another option next time when changing the fronts. The OEM tires on the front performed well in my opinion and had no cupping issues at all.

Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire (Aug 2014, 7,931)

Fronts = Kumho Solus kh16 155/60R-15 (Aug 2015, 21,913)
    Rear = General Altimax RT43 215/60R-15 (Aug 2015, 21,913)

BTW: I utilize Ride-On in all the tires on the Spyder and I think it's fine. NO issues...never tested it yet to see if it seals a puncture.

Tires, oil, etc. all have a lot of info in this forum....good luck with your choice of tires as your go forward!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 04-06-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Beads or RidOn - Impact on Stem mounted TPMS?

Just curious if there is an caution on either balancing material regarding use of stem mounted TPMS sensors?
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rideon

I'm on my second Kumho on the rear and have been using rideon now for over 40,000 miles with out any problems I live in Colorado it gets very cold
    and I have never had it take more than a mile to even out for a very smooth ride all through the life of the tire. I like it... jtpollock

Spyder Garage

I use ceramic beads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk