Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default any original 08gs riders out there that went to the rt

When I took my bike in today for a key apendectomy, they had a demo ride flyer there for a rs or an rt and another sorry don't know the name, demo ride coming in may. I looked at both bikes and thought HMMMMMMMMMMM, like the rt, the rs looks like a bulldog smashed into a wall, JUST MY OPINION, so am curious what was your original SPYDER RIDE, and did you upgrade over the years and if so to what, and your thoughts, on the new ride ????

Spyder Garage

Default Upgrade

'08GS-rode it for 4 years-spent a lot of money on accessories to make it fit me(6')-spent more trying to make it comfortable for longer rides-you know, like an hour straight. Comfort seat/risers/highway pegs/multiple windshields/cramp buster/saddle bags/cruise control etc. Still wasn't for me.
    Bought a used '11RT-s. Best decision ever! Waaaaaay more comfortable out of the box. Adjustable(on the fly) windshield/real cruise control/radio/lots of storage.
    Only negative would be the acceleration. The '08 will leave the '11 in the dust!

Anyone wanna buy the '08?????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teadave View Post
    '08GS-rode it for 4 years-spent a lot of money on accessories to make it fit me(6')-spent more trying to make it comfortable for longer rides-you know, like an hour straight. Comfort seat/risers/highway pegs/multiple windshields/cramp buster/saddle bags/cruise control etc. Still wasn't for me.
    Bought a used '11RT-s. Best decision ever! Waaaaaay more comfortable out of the box. Adjustable(on the fly) windshield/real cruise control/radio/lots of storage.
    Only negative would be the acceleration. The '08 will leave the '11 in the dust!

Anyone wanna buy the '08?????
    +1 Bought a used 08 GS, with a windshield and Corbin bags, rode it for a couple of years. Found a deal on a 2012 RT last fall and WOW! It's entirely more fun to ride, but not as quick.
    Bob S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE SWITCH

Bought an 08 in 09....then an 11 in 12.....then when the 1330 engine came out I test drove it at Spyderfest 2014 and I was totally SOLD on that package......still am ......Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    When I took my bike in today for a key apendectomy, they had a demo ride flyer there for a rs or an rt and another sorry don't know the name, demo ride coming in may. I looked at both bikes and thought HMMMMMMMMMMM, like the rt, the rs looks like a bulldog smashed into a wall, JUST MY OPINION, so am curious what was your original SPYDER RIDE, and did you upgrade over the years and if so to what, and your thoughts, on the new ride ????

I think your a little mixed up the RS is the same as the original but the RT has the flatter nose JMO what ever you ride enjoy it to the max and have no regrets jtpollock
    Last edited by jtpollock; 04-06-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would completely depend on how your needs change over the years...
    If the GS (or RS) still scratches all of the right itches: there's no need to change.
    There's no doubt that an RT will "chase horizons" more comfortably... if that's what you want to do!
    I rode a GS in Missouri three years ago, and it was a BLAST!! (Thanks, Jim!)
    But since I'm always carrying too much stuff with me, and trying to pile a couple of hundred miles on the odometer at any chance I have; the RT's the one for me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I bought a used 09 RS in 2010. Rode it 2 years then bought a new 2012 RT-S. Rode it 2 years then went to a new 2015 RT Ltd with the 1330 motor. Now my wife has started driving so last fall I bought a used 08 GS with 1100 kms on it. Now when we go touring we ride 2 up because the wife does not like long drives but when we go for short runs she drives the RT and I ride the GS. I have loved them all. The RT with the auto transmission is a great touring machine and the 1330 motor is great. The GS is just pure fun with the standard transmission I can jack rabbit away from lights and just have fun.

Spyder Garage

Larry Neilson is still riding his original "08".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Bang, zoom, spot on. I had the first 08 GS SM5 sold to a customer in Alaska. I put over $6K in farkles on both the 08 and the 09 RS SE5. There were no RT's in those days and my build outs made them into the touring bikes I wanted.

Fast forward to 2010 and the introduction of the 2010 RTS. I bought a Premier Edition #474 with all the bells and whistles. Had to take a big hit on the trade in back then, but I drove the 2010 for four years and 36,500 miles before going to a 2014 RT-S.

The looks were pretty nice on the GS and RS. The ride was still stiff and peppier than the 2010. The 2010 was more of a long distance comfort machine. The 2014 even more of an improvement.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bought a '09 GS new. The only thing I've added for comfort was raising the handlebars two inches. Have done lots of road trips on the GS and kept up with the best in the twisties. All round great ride and I still have her.

Last year I got a F3-S. The riding position took me back to the old days and cruise control is the greatest invention since sliced bread!

Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Bought a used 2008 GS which was fun but the riding position is way to far forward even after i put risers on it. I had it about a year when i had an issue with it and there was no doubt when i traded it in that i was going to go with an RT. The riding position is way more comfortable, the seat is better, the rear seat for passengers is like a fricken throne. Love the radio and all the extra storage as well. I got a 15 with the new 1330 which is a lot smoother. Only downside is the GS(RS) is peppier off the line but i thought about what i was replacing (a cruiser) and that i still have a sport bike for going fast, the RT is for cruising and still is faster and handles better than 90% of cruisers.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40