Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

XM radio? I bought a Sirus Onyx XM receiver, and hooked it into the onboard system with the MP-3 plug...
    I configured the rear 12 volt outlet to be "hot" only when the ignition was on, and plugged it into that port
    Easy-Peasey!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default For me

Quote Originally Posted by Runcy12 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input! Sounds like the consensus is for a 2014 and up. Can anyone tell me what kind of tire wear I should expect? Also is anyone using BRP Satellite radio kit?

Please don't flame me for this question, as I know ppl generally have strong feelings one way or another on this topic, but here it goes. Coming from a Harley Davidson with True Dual exhaust, I am used to a bit of growl. While my bike was not obnoxiously loud, other drivers knew I was there. Now I know the Spyder won't have anything close to what I am used to, and I don't expect it to, but I am wondering if there are any aftermarket exhaust available that beef up the sound a bit without sounding tinny?

Again thanks to all for your input. I tend to do a lot of research before I make a big purchase, and all your information is valuable to me.

Runcy12
    I run the Khumo esta rear tire. Now for the "growl". I put on the cat bypass and two bros exhaust. Verrrry nice growl yep plenty loud!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    XM radio? I bought a Sirus Onyx XM receiver, and hooked it into the onboard system with the MP-3 plug...
    I configured the rear 12 volt outlet to be "hot" only when the ignition was on, and plugged it into that port
    Easy-Peasey!
    I currently have an Onyx that I use on the Deluxe. Guess I like the idea of an integrated system.

I have read a few posts about "sway" bars...can anyone tell me more about that?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I currently have an Onyx that I use on the Deluxe. Guess I like the idea of an integrated system.

Depending on the bike that you buy; they're either a VERY good option, or at least something to seriously consider...
    The Pre-2013 bikes had a different suspension, and they would really "heel over" in a hard-pressed turn.
    (My 2010 felt as if it was trying to drag a handlebar end cap at times! )
    In 2013; they changed a whole bunch of the running gear, and improved the front suspension by a pretty decent amount.
    I had put BajaRon's Anti-Swaybar, and a set of Elka shocks on my 2010, and it was razor-sharp in the turns. My 2014 is actually about 90% as good as my fully-modded old bike, but is much more compliant.
    I would suggest riding the bike for a while, and deciding what YOU think it needs...

And I hate myself for saying this: Ron is a heckuva nice guy, and I really like all of the stuff that he sells for our bikes...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The sway bar on turns helps that feeling the bike is going to roll/lean. Same principle as like on cars

As for satellite its the same thing just you now have the BRP radio. THe only draw back is that you don't see the song name on the display if you just you a receiver type satellite versus the BRP radio.

Spyder Garage

Depending on the bike that you buy; they're either a VERY good option, or at least something to seriously consider...
    The Pre-2013 bikes had a different suspension, and they would really "heel over" in a hard-pressed turn.
    (My 2010 felt as if it was trying to drag a handlebar end cap at times! )
    In 2013; they changed a whole bunch of the running gear, and improved the front suspension by a pretty decent amount.
    I had put BajaRon's Anti-Swaybar, and a set of Elka shocks on my 2010, and it was razor-sharp in the turns. My 2014 is actually about 90% as good as my fully-modded old bike, but is much more compliant.
    I would suggest riding the bike for a while, and deciding what YOU think it needs...

And I hate myself for saying this: Ron is a heckuva nice guy, and I really like all of the stuff that he sells for our bikes...
    Thank you for that feedback!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can only offer up what my experiences have been...
    Other's might be inclined to tell you that I'm, "about as full of crap, as a Thanksgiving Turkey"; but I'd like to think that I've learned a little bit over the years!
    Ultimately: it comes down to how you ride your bike, and how you like it to "feel" in the twisties...

Spyder Garage

Two points if I may. Regarding tire wear you can expect to experience the same thing with a Spyder that you do with a two wheeler, namely the mileage you get, whether with a two ply motorcycle tire or a four ply automobile tire, is going to be a direct function of how aggressive you are with the throttle. BRP changed the compound of the rear tire after owner complaints about enough traction and the newer compound brought a deafening chorus of complaints about reduced tread life. In mid 2014 they reverted to the previous, harder compound so a tire with a manufacture date earlier than 2814 is the softer compound. Read the reams of posts on tires and take your pick.

Second, having had the unfortunate (IMO) experience of riding behind Spyders with loud aftermarket exhausts on all the group rides on Spyderfest 2015 while wearing ear plugs and being half deaf, you are welcome to my position in the procession should the opportunity arise.
    Last edited by JayBros; 04-05-2016 at 04:40 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can only offer up what my experiences have been...
    Other's might be inclined to tell you that I'm, "about as full of crap, as a Thanksgiving Turkey"; but I'd like to think that I've learned a little bit over the years!
    Ultimately: it comes down to how you ride your bike, and how you like it to "feel" in the twisties...
    Are you guys really going to argue about which RT does better in the twisties....[emoji38] [emoji23] [emoji23]

What you 14'+ owners should be telling the guy is how you have to stand on your head, hop 30' on one foot, while sprinkling fairy dust over your head or whatever it is you have to do to stop the dess errors and get the bike to start to begin with!!!..[emoji6] [emoji12] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 04-05-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I couldn't hop on one foot if you held a gun to my head...
    But the fairy Dust thing sounds do-able!
    But I've never seen a DESS error, and my bike ALWAYS starts!

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Don't ignore the 998 Engine RT -It has a Nice High reving 5 Speed that I prefer to my F3 with the 6 speed . You should Test drive a 2012 RT and a Newer one and be your own judge.
    If you do get a Older RT you should make sure the New Air Ducts are installed and the Stupid Plastic panels which cover the cylinder heads are "Taken Off?" So you minimize heat build up- Be Extra cautious of the 2013 Model because it was built for the New engine BUT got stuck with the old engine?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Enough said

Last fall I decided to buy a Spyder. New was more than i wanted to pay, so I found on on EBay in Florida, i am in Ohio. It was a 2013 RTL, with 12,686 miles at an Indian, Polaris, Cadillac dealer, who went over it, installed new tires and the bike still had BEST warranty until late 2017. I used Uship.com to get it up to Ohio.
    Yes, it is the V-twin and I love it. Originally the mileage stunk, then I read the message on this site that is for new owners, boom, mileage went up and I could not be happier. Sure the 1330 would be nice but the money I saved made it great for me.
    regardless what you get, Ryde on with a smile!

U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Once again thank you all for your input!

I just spent 30+ min. reading Deanna's thread on the DESS issue. Does anyone know if this has been resolved? Is this just a batch of units or was it a whole model year? This does concern me as I often find myself a long distance from home. I got stranded with a fuel line problem once with the H/D, and don't care to relive that experience of hopelessness trying to find someone with a trailer to come get me.

Again I appreciate all the information that has been given.

Runcy12

Spyder Garage

No DESS issues here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Once again thank you all for your input!

I just spent 30+ min. reading Deanna's thread on the DESS issue. Does anyone know if this has been resolved? Is this just a batch of units or was it a whole model year? This does concern me as I often find myself a long distance from home. I got stranded with a fuel line problem once with the H/D, and don't care to relive that experience of hopelessness trying to find someone with a trailer to come get me.

Again I appreciate all the information that has been given.

Runcy12
    Of the 3 Spyders I have owned 09GS-35,000 Miles- 2012 RT 15,000 Miles- 2015 F3-2,000 Miles- I have Never been stuck on the road!

Remember The New one will depreciate 3 thousand the second you leave the Lot where as a Good deal on a used older RT Has already done most of its depreciation already. I can't stress enough that you should take the time to test drive the 2 Different versions 2 CYL VS 3 CYL at a dealer!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just spent 30+ min. reading Deanna's thread on the DESS issue. Does anyone know if this has been resolved? Is this just a batch of units or was it a whole model year? This does concern me as I often find myself a long distance from home.
    Honestly; it was a problem in some of the 2014s... But in an open forum; you'll always more complaints that you will praises.
    Issues become problems... problems become disasters... and disasters become "the end of all things"!
    BRP has worked hard to end this one. I'd like to think that they've got a handle on it...
    (Excuse me: I'm gonna go see if my bike will start! )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honestly; it was a problem in some of the 2014s... But in an open forum; you'll always more complaints that you will praises.
    Issues become problems... problems become disasters... and disasters become "the end of all things"!
    BRP has worked hard to end this one. I'd like to think that they've got a handle on it...[emoji106](Excuse me: I'm gonna go see if my bike will start! )

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh great...
    Now; I've got to go to the bathroom.... AGAIN!

Spyder Garage

Once again thanks to everyone for there thoughts and opinions. Now if the god awful weather would warm up, I would love to go test drive a few units!

Ride safe everyone!

Runcy12

Spyder Garage

Once again thanks to everyone for their thoughts and opinions. Now if the god awful weather would warm up, I would love to go test drive a few units!

Ride safe everyone!

Runcy12
    Good luck with that. You might have to go a little north (Maximum Powersports) to get in a test ride. Sam, their sales manager, says every Spyder they have is available to test ride as long as you have a MC license.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Good luck with that. You might have to go a little north (Maximum Powersports) to get in a test ride. Sam, their sales manager, says every Spyder they have is available to test ride as long as you have a MC license.
    Copperman, have you had any experience with Flatout Motorsports? I am on the far east side and they are fairly close.

Spyder Garage

Copperman, have you had any experience with Flatout Motorsports? I am on the far east side and they are fairly close.
    By all means go there and see for yourself. Their attitude about test rides may have changed. A few years ago they told me the only way I'd be able to take a test ride was if I was ready to buy, not just looking/shopping.

I go there three or four times a year just to see what they have on display, just because they're local. I"m on my second Spyder and tried to give them my business both times. We just couldn't agree on a price. As soon as I test ride an F3 Limited, I'll have a decision to make (assuming I like it) and I will, again, give them the opportunity to sell me one.

As far as service, they charge $150.00 and hour... crazy $$$. Although, they have replaced my back tire, on both bikes, and charged me $100.00, each, for labor. I also had to sign a Waiver because they were car tires and I was more than happy to sign it. I ride a little over an hour north to Maximum and pay $80.00 an hour. I know a few guys here in Indpls that go up there.
    Last edited by Copperman; 04-07-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk