Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions regarding buying a pre-owned Spyder RT

Hello all,

Been lurking and searching the forums for bout a month now, and have not found the information I am looking for, so I thought I would just ask. After 10+ years on 2 wheels, I have made the decision to move to 3 wheels. I would love to purchase a new unit, but a pre-owned is more my budget.

As far as pre-owned goes, are there any years I should stay away from or should be looking at? Are there any common issues I should be on the look out for?

One of my wife's wishes is a heated seat. Is the factory heated seat worthy, or should I be looking at a Corbin? I have seen many good mentions of the Ultimate seat, but does not look like they make a heated option.

I am sure I will have more questions, but these would be a good start. Thank you in advance.

Runcy12

Spyder Garage

Make sure it has a extended warranty because these machines are very complicated

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are looking at a 998 motor, the 2012's are the best. 2013's are good as long as the heat issues have been taken care of. If your budget is a little bigger, than the 2014's and up have the bigger motor and better MPG. Good luck finding what you want. These are fun machines.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I would look at a 2014 and up RT. One is that they have a bigger engine and not the heating problems and the seat and handlebars are heated. I love mine.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    I would look at a 2014 and up RT. One is that they have a bigger engine and not the heating problems and the seat and handlebars are heated. I love mine.
    I have a 2015 RT-S and I dont have a heated seat.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have Seat heaters

I have the factory type seat heaters
    you can install your self for as low as
    $75.00 no need to spend big money just
    to get a heated seat
    you can count on a bunch of help right here
    on SpyderLovers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Runcy12 View Post
    Hello all,

Been lurking and searching the forums for bout a month now, and have not found the information I am looking for, so I thought I would just ask. After 10+ years on 2 wheels, I have made the decision to move to 3 wheels. I would love to purchase a new unit, but a pre-owned is more my budget.

As far as pre-owned goes, are there any years I should stay away from or should be looking at? Are there any common issues I should be on the look out for?

One of my wife's wishes is a heated seat. Is the factory heated seat worthy, or should I be looking at a Corbin? I have seen many good mentions of the Ultimate seat, but does not look like they make a heated option.

I am sure I will have more questions, but these would be a good start. Thank you in advance.

Runcy12
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-03-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER PURCHASE

Sir I am brutally FRANK so........Since one of your first and probably main concerns is BUDGET ....why are you even mentioning a very EXPENSIVE Corbin seat with HEAT no less ??????...........If money is an issue Spyders are not at the bottom of the price structure........However, if you need a Trike the Spyder is the best way to go........I would suggest looking for a 2014 RT ( manual trans are less but they didn't make as many ) try to find a Basic or " S " model ( you don't need an LTD ). The 14's with the 1330 engine's are far superior to the V-Twin model's and have much less maintenance....( I've owned both )............Good Luck & .......Mike

Spyder Garage

You don't say what your budget is. I had the same problem new taste, used budget. I bought a low mileage 2012 RTL for $15000.Depending on which year and trim level you should be able to fine one somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. There was no warranty left so I couldn't get a BEST warranty from BRP. I bought one from Zurich and I have used it once and it worked as advertised. There is a lot of support here for the 1330/6 (2014 and newer) but the 998 VTwin is a very capable and I have no trouble staying up with my Goldwing friends. The big drawback is lower fuel mileage and more frequent service intervals. I do my own service so that doesn't bother me. These are fun machines no matter which one you choose. I rode 2 wheels for 50 years. So yes there is a transition period but I love to ride my Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    If you are looking at a 998 motor, the 2012's are the best. 2013's are good as long as the heat issues have been taken care of. If your budget is a little bigger, than the 2014's and up have the bigger motor and better MPG. Good luck finding what you want. These are fun machines.
    My first Spyder was a 2012 RT Limited - a very good bike without any issues - that would be a good choice. I know the 2013's were a transition year for the RT.

If your budget allows it, a 2014 RT or newer would be a GREAT choice as that has the 1330 engine and improved overall powertrain. I currently own a 2014 RT Limited with just over 26,000 miles on it. It's a great bike and is better than my 2012 RT Limited. Both bikes for me were trouble free!

Good luck with your decision on a Spyder and look forward to you letting us know what you bought!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

All of your questions have been answered very well above. Make sure you test drive and find the one that suits you and your budget the best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sir I am brutally FRANK so........Since one of your first and probably main concerns is BUDGET ....why are you even mentioning a very EXPENSIVE Corbin seat with HEAT no less ??????...........If money is an issue Spyders are not at the bottom of the price structure........However, if you need a Trike the Spyder is the best way to go........I would suggest looking for a 2014 RT ( manual trans are less but they didn't make as many ) try to find a Basic or " S " model ( you don't need an LTD ). The 14's with the 1330 engine's are far superior to the V-Twin model's and have much less maintenance....( I've owned both )............Good Luck & .......Mike

Hi sir,

Nothing wrong in being brutally honest. The situation is I could purchase a "New" unit if it came down to it, but I would honestly not like to be strapped to a payment that makes it difficult to enjoy the other things in life. I plan to sell my 08' H/D Deluxe which I have turned into a short mans Street Glide, as I was not blessed with the inseam to comfortable ride an H/D Tour bike. I would like to find a gently used unit, which I could "make my own" like I did with my H/D. I have ridden an H/D trike and hated it. I had the chance to take a friends Spyder for a spin last season and found it to be enjoyable.

I really like the idea of the semi-automatic transmission. Have these been reliable? Thanks to all who have responded

Runcy12

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find yourself a used 2014...
    They ARE that much better!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO its like any other vehicle purchase. Buy the newest, lowest mileage unit with the options your looking for that fits your budget. Be cautious of the 13's as they had their issues.

Going from a 12' RT to a 14' RT would be a similar move as going from a 13' Street Glide to a 14' Street Glide in the Harley world. Considerable changes, but at a considerable cost difference too. Only you can make that call.
    The best advice I can give you is to ride and pick what works best for YOU and not drink the forum kool-aid and buy what OTHERS think you should buy.
    Good luck and ride safe!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT-S

Hello all,

Runcy12
    I bought my 2011 RT-S with 5,000 miles and now have 16,000 in just over 1 year with NO PROBLEMS.. But if you can afford go with 2014 or 2015.. My wife also has a Spyder now, both our roadsters were found on CRAIGSLIST.. Good luck shopping..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    IMHO Going from a 12' RT to a 14' RT would be a similar move as going from a 13' Street Glide to a 14' Street Glide in the Harley world. Considerable changes, but at a considerable cost difference too. Only you can make that call.
    The best advice I can give you is to ride and pick what works best for YOU and not drink the forum kool-aid and buy what OTHERS think you should buy.
    While I'm not familiar with the model-year changes in Harley's line-up; I can assure you that the 2014 RTs are a Paradigm Shift...
    The 1330 engine runs at MUCH lower rpm levels, and gives better fuel mileage, and longer ranges between stops.
    The 1200 watt alternator is WAY stronger than the old 650 watt magneto that makes the electricity in the 998s
    The reconfigured cooling system keeps all of the heat away from the rider and passenger, and seems to simply do a better job of keeping the "hot parts" cool...
    The SE-5's new engagement clutch setup removes the chances of toasting clutch plates due to not shifting at the correct rpm levels...

We all complained about our original RTs, and BRP was clearly listening, when they introduced the 2014 models.

Spyder Garage

Like other posters on this thread I recommend you considerlooking for a 2014 RT, either base or -S model. My '14 RT-S is the first Spyder I've owned and IMO, while the 998 V-twin Spyders are good machines the 1330 triple with six-speed transmission is a quantum leap forward in maintenance and reliability. Yes, there have been some small issues as almost any vehicle manufacturer experiences with a new model year that includes significant changes from prior years but BRP has gotten most of those bugs corrected. There are used, low mileage '14 RTs out there if you're willing to hunt and perhaps travel a bit. Good luck and good hunting!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    While I'm not familiar with the model-year changes in Harley's line-up; I can assure you that the 2014 RTs are a Paradigm Shift...
    The 1330 engine runs at MUCH lower rpm levels, and gives better fuel mileage, and longer ranges between stops.
    The 1200 watt alternator is WAY stronger than the old 650 watt magneto that makes the electricity in the 998s
    The reconfigured cooling system keeps all of the heat away from the rider and passenger, and seems to simply do a better job of keeping the "hot parts" cool...
    The SE-5's new engagement clutch setup removes the chances of toasting clutch plates due to not shifting at the correct rpm levels...

We all complained about our original RTs, and BRP was clearly listening, when they introduced the 2014 models.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am the owner (not for long), of a 14 RTL. As much as I hate to admit, my physical condition has deteriated to the point that riding even 3 wheels is not enjoyable any more.
    With the $3,000 in extras that the buyer is getting, as well as 5 years remaining on the extended warranty, the buyer is getting a great bike and a great deal at $23,000. If I was starting over, knowing what I know now, I definitely would by a tenderly used 14 RTL, than a 16 RTL. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that your hand is being forced...
    The best of luck to you, and we'll keep you in our prayers!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your input! Sounds like the consensus is for a 2014 and up. Can anyone tell me what kind of tire wear I should expect? Also is anyone using BRP Satellite radio kit?

Please don't flame me for this question, as I know ppl generally have strong feelings one way or another on this topic, but here it goes. Coming from a Harley Davidson with True Dual exhaust, I am used to a bit of growl. While my bike was not obnoxiously loud, other drivers knew I was there. Now I know the Spyder won't have anything close to what I am used to, and I don't expect it to, but I am wondering if there are any aftermarket exhaust available that beef up the sound a bit without sounding tinny?

Again thanks to all for your input. I tend to do a lot of research before I make a big purchase, and all your information is valuable to me.

Runcy12

Spyder Garage

Default Satellite radio

I have the BRP satellite radio and it works just fine.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANSWERS ????

Thanks everyone for your input! Sounds like the consensus is for a 2014 and up. Can anyone tell me what kind of tire wear I should expect? Also is anyone using BRP Satellite radio kit?

Please don't flame me for this question, as I know ppl generally have strong feelings one way or another on this topic, but here it goes. Coming from a Harley Davidson with True Dual exhaust, I am used to a bit of growl. While my bike was not obnoxiously loud, other drivers knew I was there. Now I know the Spyder won't have anything close to what I am used to, and I don't expect it to, but I am wondering if there are any aftermarket exhaust available that beef up the sound a bit without sounding tinny?

Again thanks to all for your input. I tend to do a lot of research before I make a big purchase, and all your information is valuable to me.

Runcy12
    If you want Satellite you can save a bunch with after-market ( probably better also ) ask Bob Denman ( above ) He put one on and is Happy............GROWL......the Spyder is NEVER going to compete with a HD for quality of sound , the HD V-twin is unique and no-one else has it..................However you can get a different sound various different ways.......Two Bros. , is quite loud ....Yoshimuira - is milder .....removing the Catalytic convertor and adding the Baffle insert is the mildest...........I would listen to them all first........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Runcy12
    I use a satellite radio and plug it into the trunk. Its just SAt receiver and use the existing BRP radio system. works well IMO.

Spyder Garage

I have a Sirius Satellite Radio I run thru a Sena SM 10 dongle and then to s
    Sens SMH10 in my helmet.Works great

As for growl BRP sells a performance muffler that has more growl then the stock.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze