Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth instead of iPod Solution?

My 2013 has the iPod integration and--to date-- I've used an iPod (bought off eBay with a bad connector for nearly nothing) and I have an FM transmitter connected to a BT receiver. It kind of works, but has all the problems you associate with an FM transmitter.

However, I just bought a new SLK300 (traded an SLK230, long story) that is old enough to have BT phone integration but not audio. It does, however, integrate iPod. From what people say, this is the best available answer for that: http://smile.amazon.com/Bovee-Wirele...dp/B00B52LLJ6/

It occurs to me this ought to work on the bike as well. Plug it into the iPod cable and you are set. Apparently, with an iPhone it does the play list. With Android it just plays and lets you do the pause/forward/backward but that's fine.

Anyone try this? I'm going to and I'll report back. Probably going to buy one. Try it on the bike, and if it works, buy another one with the first one in the car. If it doesn't work, it should still be good on the car.

Wow, that was my 100th post.
    2013 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

Im interested in the same thing...... Can't wait to here the report..
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I purchased one similar from ebay to try. I just plugged it into the ipod cable in the trunk,It works good. I can stream music from any BT mp3 player to the radio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Mu...0AAOSwpDdVHmcu
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick k View Post
    I purchased one similar from ebay to try. I just plugged it into the ipod cable in the trunk,It works good
    Given the price I assume you don't get forward reverse play pause on the handlebars right? And sure you can control that via the phone
    2013 RT , Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd5gnr View Post
    My 2013 has the iPod integration and--to date-- I've used an iPod (bought off eBay with a bad connector for nearly nothing) and I have an FM transmitter connected to a BT receiver. It kind of works, but has all the problems you associate with an FM transmitter.

However, I just bought a new SLK300 (traded an SLK230, long story) that is old enough to have BT phone integration but not audio. It does, however, integrate iPod. From what people say, this is the best available answer for that: http://smile.amazon.com/Bovee-Wirele...dp/B00B52LLJ6/

It occurs to me this ought to work on the bike as well. Plug it into the iPod cable and you are set. Apparently, with an iPhone it does the play list. With Android it just plays and lets you do the pause/forward/backward but that's fine.

Anyone try this? I'm going to and I'll report back. Probably going to buy one. Try it on the bike, and if it works, buy another one with the first one in the car. If it doesn't work, it should still be good on the car.

Wow, that was my 100th post.
    At $89 wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a used iPod with a good connector?

Interesting interface. I wonder how successful it will be in making the Spyder audio think it has a real iPod plugged in? Considering Apple's approach to keeping things proprietary and under wraps I'm a bit skeptical. I think your success in using it will depend on how similar the signal protocol is between the Spyder iPod interface and the cars' iPod interface.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    At $89 wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a used iPod with a good connector?

Interesting interface. I wonder how successful it will be in making the Spyder audio think it has a real iPod plugged in? Considering Apple's approach to keeping things proprietary and under wraps I'm a bit skeptical. I think your success in using it will depend on how similar the signal protocol is between the Spyder iPod interface and the cars' iPod interface.
    No the iPod is great. I bought one on eBay with a bad headphone connector and it works fine since I don't use it with headphones, just the Spyder. Velcro and a rubber band to keep the connector from wiggling out and it is great. However, I like to stream things off my phone (Google Play Music, BBC on Tunein Radio, etc.). So that's why I have the FM radio kludge which is not great.

As for the $11 solution, sure, I could just plug the BT receiver into the 3.5" adapter and get the same effect, but it isn't the same as having actual control on the handlebars.
    2013 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

..................Bluetooth would be much better if it will work
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No the iPod is great. I bought one on eBay with a bad headphone connector and it works fine since I don't use it with headphones, just the Spyder. Velcro and a rubber band to keep the connector from wiggling out and it is great. However, I like to stream things off my phone (Google Play Music, BBC on Tunein Radio, etc.). So that's why I have the FM radio kludge which is not great.

As for the $11 solution, sure, I could just plug the BT receiver into the 3.5" adapter and get the same effect, but it isn't the same as having actual control on the handlebars.
    For streaming off the the phone any good BT receiver will work, plugged into either the iPod connector or the stereo adapter. I have one that uses the iPod cord. But in that case you only have volume control like you said. I have the phone up front where I can control it directly.

I missed it in your post. You're looking to BT the iPhone with the BoVee unit, aren't you? I don't know if that'll give you full control of the iPhone or not.

Did you search the forum here for other posts? I know several Spyderlovers use an iPhone for music the same as iPod, but I don't recall if anyone has commented on what streaming control they have, if any.

You could always buy the unit and if it doesn't do what you want, send it back. Amazon is good about returns. Might cost a few bucks but at least you'll not be out the full price.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

From my understanding the spyder ipod interface will only control the playlist & volume. Other streaming apps may play thru the headphone jack, not charging device & only allowing volume control. You may want to just get a larger ipod & more music?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Given the price I assume you don't get forward reverse play pause on the handlebars right? And sure you can control that via the phone
    You are correct, Forward reverse play & pause are controlled via the phone.
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited