Thread: I'm baaaaack!!

Spyder Garage

Default I'm baaaaack!!

I'm back after not being able to take my bike with me to Korea. I'm stationed in England now and just got my bike delivered this week. Of course it was stored for over a year and the battery is dead (the movers left it hooked up the whole time!) so I have had it on a tender for over 12 hours. How long does it take for a completely dead battery to recharge on that? I've read on some other sites 2-3 days?!! I just wanna get out and ride again! That is if i remember how to turn it on, reverse it, etc. I got the manual somewhere in all my boxes. haha. Anything else I need to check out on the bike after the battery is charged before I ride it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mhumann View Post
    I'm back after not being able to take my bike with me to Korea. I'm stationed in England now and just got my bike delivered this week. Of course it was stored for over a year and the battery is dead (the movers left it hooked up the whole time!) so I have had it on a tender for over 12 hours. How long does it take for a completely dead battery to recharge on that? I've read on some other sites 2-3 days?!! I just wanna get out and ride again! That is if i remember how to turn it on, reverse it, etc. I got the manual somewhere in all my boxes. haha. Anything else I need to check out on the bike after the battery is charged before I ride it?
    Sitting for over a year- Unless you stabilized the fuel I would find a way to remove the bad gas and fill it with fresh. It doesn't take long for gas to go bad.

Check your tire pressure!

If you have access to a multimeter you can check your battery to see if it's charged. Disconnect the tender and check with the meter to see if you have 12 volts. When you do you should be able to fire it up. Checking with the meter will also let you know if the battery is charging, if not then new battery time.

A walk around to visually look for anything amiss.

Other then that I cannot think of anything else you need to do.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Don't believe the battery tender can bring a dead battery up to charge. I think they will only maintain it at a certain level.

Good luck and welcome back to the open road!

Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't help with the mechanical still, so just

Are you a Brit who is now home, or an American now stationed in the UK?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I can't help with the mechanical still, so just

Are you a Brit who is now home, or an American now stationed in the UK?
    I'm American who is stationed at the UK.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Sitting for over a year- Unless you stabilized the fuel I would find a way to remove the bad gas and fill it with fresh. It doesn't take long for gas to go bad.

Check your tire pressure!

If you have access to a multimeter you can check your battery to see if it's charged. Disconnect the tender and check with the meter to see if you have 12 volts. When you do you should be able to fire it up. Checking with the meter will also let you know if the battery is charging, if not then new battery time.

A walk around to visually look for anything amiss.

Other then that I cannot think of anything else you need to do.
    Thanks for the advice. When it was stored it was nearly empty of gas. Once, or if the battery ever gets charged i'll throw in some new gas.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default issues

Befot somas......A Baty to have enough to hanyou want t hurt.....ttach a Baitry in it.......It will bto the need ....guck..............M
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-02-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Before you run it put some Seafoam in then add fresh Gas......A Battery maintainer/tender is not likely to have enough to handle a fully depleted battery.....If you want to wait a week you can try it..... it won't hurt.....But I would attach a Battery charger that has Auto Limiting circuitry in it.......It will balance the charge rate to the need ....good luck..............Mike
    I agree with mr mike. a battery tender generally won't handle a complete recharge. also, sometimes a battery that has been sitting around that long, unused, may not take a charge anyways!!

Spyder Garage

Default Yay

The charger turned green and i just took it out for 10 min! woohoo! but now i can't get the gas cap off. turn it and it just makes a horrible clicking sound...any advice??

Spyder Garage

The charger turned green and i just took it out for 10 min! woohoo! but now i can't get the gas cap off. turn it and it just makes a horrible clicking sound...any advice??
    Glad to hear that the tender kicked in. I was thinking along the lines that it would not work for the dead battery.

Apply some weight (downward force) while turning the cap. Most times that will work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you checked the oil level as since it was sitting so long that you could be hearing the engine with lack of oil circulated thru it yet..Or was the clicking when you hit the starter??

If it was when you pushed the start button most likely its the battery..

Spyder Garage

As said, your battery tender is probably not going to get the job done. Plus, a battery that has been dead as long as that one probably has been, and as touchy as the Spyder is with electronics. You're probably way ahead just getting a new battery. You might get that one to charge enough to start. But it may leave you stranded.

If you do get a 100% charge on the battery you might want to have it load tested before you ride very far on it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-02-2016 at 04:45 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Make sure you checked the oil level as since it was sitting so long that you could be hearing the engine with lack of oil circulated thru it yet..Or was the clicking when you hit the starter??

If it was when you pushed the start button most likely its the battery..
    The bike isn't clicking, the gas cap is when i turn it to take it off. It won't come off to save my life, tried putting pressure down while turning and pressure on the sides and nothing. I doubt it has enough gas to get me to any type of mechanic that might be able to help

Spyder Garage

Take your vin number to a dealer and have them check if yours falls in the group with the know gas cap issue. If so they should replace it free.

For removing your cap I would try a large channel lock pliers and see if that will remove it, don't worry about damaging the cap as it's defective and has to be replaced.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Where in the UK?

I'm American who is stationed at the UK.
    Where in the UK are you based?
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome back.....

Glad to see you got her going. Your tender may have the charging feature as well but as Ron stated get it load tested to make sure it will hold the charge and not leave you stranded on the wrong side of the road in the fog and rain... seariously have it checked. As to the gas cap, you need side pressure like medicine bottles. if you can squeeze it on the sides and twist you should be able to get it off. Again I would get a replacement or you may find you will not be able to add a liter of gas. You sure no one has been ryding your ryde while you were away. It made a great comeback ....just asking....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remove the old oil and put a fresh one with new fuel, dump the old one. You should buy a new Battery instead. JMHO. Thanks for your service.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    Where in the UK are you based?
    Near Huntingdon England at Alconbury. Been here for 6 weeks and itching to go out and see what this awesome land has to offer! Where is Leeds?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Dealer quite close to you!!

158 Performance is your local Can-Am dealer. They are around 25 miles north of Alconbury. Phone: 01778 341144. Their service is great and the people there are very helpful.
    Welcome to the UK. A beautiful spring morning down here in Kent.