Spyder Garage

Default Came time to change insurance carriers....again.

Last year Progressive upped our rates on the Spyders so I shopped arround. We had 2 2013 RTs. A number companies were closely aligned in the 800 a year range for both bikes. We went with Nationwide.

Over the course of the last year, both of our 2013s moved along. I bought a new F3 last year at spyderfest and Louise a new 2015 RT last fall. At each upgrade Nationwide wanted a LARGE increase to cover the new bike.

I just got our renewal for next year and they want MORE. More than Progressive did last year when I shopped rates.

This year I shopped rates for same coverage to all the majors. State Farm and Progressive were about where Nationwide is. 1500. Dairyland, Foremost (AARP), USAA, Allstate and Geico are all grouped within approx a 100 range. Geico at the low end at 573. Thats for both bikes and upgraded coverage for accessories and custom work on my F3. I bought the gecko policy and will be with them for the next year. In Harris County TX which is a high risk area.

I have had my auto and home insurance with State Farm for 30 years. They have paid some BIG six figure claims. All done professionally and the rates mostly don't move much year to year unless I change something. About every 10 yrs I get the wild idea to shop around and its always a waste of time. My SF agent TOLD me to take my bikes elsewhere for better rates and coverage, bikes are just not SF's thing.

Why do these other companies start you at a low rate and then try to get away with DOUBLING it? Do folks actually just pay the doubled rates and stay? Once with progressive was an anomaly but twice in as many years is some sort of trend. No idea why but there are plenty of reasonable insurance companies out there and will shop again next year if Geico does the same.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Every year

I shop for insurance. Interesting in WA I have geico for home and cage. They r outrageous for Spyder. Had Spyder with Safeco for couple years. Switched to Dairyland slightly better coverage and $100 less annual. So Dairyland it is!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default INSURANCE COMPANY ATTITUDES

IMHO ...I think they rely on people being LAZY or not watching the BALL so to speak..........How many times have you heard here --- Oh it's only a few dollars -- I want the Best etc.... And you know darn well they have absolutely no idea what they are buying .....................Mike

Spyder Garage

I switched from Progressive to Dairyland for the Spyder last year and saved a bunch of money. The rate often depends on where you are located, as most companies consider their geographical loss ratios in the rating formula.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

JT. Dairyland did the same with me. Low rate, then the renewal way up. We are now with Erie Insurance. Same with the house and cars. Next year? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok, this interested me, so I looked up the Allstate Policy on the 2012RTL. Renewal April 29,2016 to April 29, 2017 $219.56 for one year. Been with Allstate all our adult life, a few clams along the way. Boy do I feel good. Yep full coverage, 100/300 500 delectable.
    Last edited by Frank G; 04-01-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

We have Dairyland also. They have raised my rates for the past few years for no particular reason. Our initial rates were quite low.

I did shop around when I bought our Spyder RT. Dairyland and State Farm had the best rates. They both wanted $300/yr or a little under, for full insurance, 100/300, $250 deductibles.

I got quotes for my other bikes. The ranges were ridiculous, $360-$3000 for the same coverages.
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Default GEICO Insurance on Spyder

JT,

I have been with Geico insurance for 4 years now ( on a 2014 Spyder RTS-SE6) and I pay $489.00 ( 12 month premium)
    Full coverage,

300,000/300,00 Bodily Injury Liability Each Person/ each Occurrence

300,000/300,000 Uninsured & Underinsured Each Person/Each Occurrence
    Comp. $500.00 Ded,
    Towing/Labor Cost
    If you live in a cold climate they offer Winter Lay Up Plans, in Feb, they will send you a check. I am staying with Geico for a long time.
    Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 04-02-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Progressive auto for 15 years now, across 3 states (Louisiana, Texas, Florida). i remeber a few times it went up slightly due to rate changes but neve very much. it usually the rates drop every 6 months unless i make a change in address or vehicle.

Progressive motorcycle for 3 or 4 years and remained the same as far as i remeber. the spyder is twice the rate of the ninja 650. i think we pay 50/month.

In my experience insurance companies raise rates to make more money and extremely raises when they want people to leave. it is their way of saying they don't want you as a customer.

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Bob D

Want to weigh in on this?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've bee with GEICO since 1983, when I returned from Korea. I've shopped around from time to time - no one beats them. I had one accident where I hit a deer on a dark country road, going to work one morning - and the response from GEICO made me feel like I was in one of their commercials - it could not have been better. I still shop around, every now and then, but unless there is a major difference, I'm sticking with them.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Interesting. Just switched today from Geico to Foremost (AARP), 65% less than what I had been paying, same coverage. Pays to shop around as prices seem to vary greatly from company to company.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Yep, having 2 RT's to insure was hitting us pretty hard. Just on a whim, I called Markel.
    Boy was I surprised! Check them out. Glad we did!
    KEEP YOUR KNEES IN THE BREEZE!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have GEICO on three toys. For 100/300/50 with 500 deduct collision and 250 deduct comp the total is $438/yr, of which $43 is for the ATV. $192 for my 2013 RT and $203 for my 2014 RTS. The 2013 will get dropped as soon as I sell it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I was with Allstate for over 40 years, when we moved to Indiana, the first agent took good care of it. When she retired, the agent I was put with SUCKED! My rates doubled in 2 years, and I was told they couldn't do anything about it. I've been with State Farm 5 years now, same coverage, less then half the cost.
    The agent I had in Michigan told me that after five years with any insurer, to shop around, because the insurers get the idea you're fair game.
    My '12 RT runs less than $270 a year for full coverage, if it goes up, I'll move on.

john

Spyder Garage

Last year we just swapped from Progressive to Geico for the bikes and cars. Progressive had raised rates significantly the last couple of years and Geico was about 30% lower.
    Just depends on where you are located, age, etc, the insurance companies do not seem to be very consistent on rates.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    Interesting. Just switched today from Geico to Foremost (AARP), 65% less than what I had been paying, same coverage. Pays to shop around as prices seem to vary greatly from company to company.

Next time look for an independent agent that deals with Foremost. You policy should be less $$.. AARP gets a kick back when go through them. When I had my wing trike, AARP was $100 more that an independent agent! Same company, same policy limits. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

In Michigan we pay quite a bit more due to being no-fault, lifetime medical coverage, etc.
    Can't get Geico and some of the other brands.
    For my 2012 RT Progressive was charging $1,100 per year. Switched to Dairyland.. better coverage and only $550 per year. Will shop around every year when renewal is up.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My mom complained about rising rates 60 years ago with Farmers! Seems like insurance rates are the only thing in life where the more honest you are the more it costs you!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default MI's MCCA Assessment Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    In Michigan we pay quite a bit more due to being no-fault, lifetime medical coverage, etc.
    In addition, MI is the only state (I'm told) that has a fund for closed head injuries caused by vehicle accidents. It was put before the voters in the late '70s and was supposed to cost just $3 per year. Well, now it's up to $150 per year PER VEHICLE. Not per driver/rider, but per vehicle. A panel of 5 "experts" annually determines what the next year's fee will be. All 5 are insurance company executives.

When we had to shop to insure my new 2015 RT-S this winter (because our Farm Bureau insurance doesn't touch MCs), Rider's Insurance was the best deal at $774 (which includes the MCCA fee) for 100/300/50.
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 04-02-2016 at 11:58 AM.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    In addition, MI is the only state (I'm told) that has a fund for closed head injuries caused by vehicle accidents. It was put before the voters in the late '70s and was supposed to cost just $3 per year. Well, now it's up to $150 per year PER VEHICLE. Not per driver/rider, but per vehicle. A panel of 5 "experts" annually determines what the next year's fee will be. All 5 are insurance company executives.

When we had to shop to insure my new 2015 RT-S this winter (because our Farm Bureau insurance doesn't touch MCs), Rider's Insurance was the best deal at $774 (which includes the MCCA fee) for 100/300/50.
    Yup... The MCCA fee. Expensive but worth it in my opinion as your medical from an accident in Michigan is covered for tech rest of your life. One issue I have is that it doesn't cover you on a motorcycle unless a car is involved. Otherwise I like it.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default MI's MCCA Assessment Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yup... The MCCA fee. Expensive but worth it in my opinion as your medical from an accident in Michigan is covered for tech rest of your life. One issue I have is that it doesn't cover you on a motorcycle unless a car is involved. Otherwise I like it.
    It only reimburses your insurance company for expenses that exceed $545,000. So you still need to insure yourself. And, despite MI being no-fault, and the MCCA, we still need to insure ourselves against medical damages caused to others. Also, since MCs aren't covered unless a car is involved, we shouldn't pay the fee on our MCs (which, BTW is rising to $160 this July) because the MCCA says that when our accident does involve a car, we're being covered by the car's fee. And we sure as hell shouldn't be paying per vehicle. I don't know of many people who can operate more than one car or MC simultaneously.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses