Thread: Oil change Kit

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change Kit

I just got the first service done on the 2014 Spyder RT. I bought an oil change kit so that I could do the next change myself and save the 200 mile round trip to the dealer. To my surprise the kit was $93 with tax. Seems a lot for a filter and a few bottles of oil. A rat had built a nest on top of the engine so the service was timely. Gotta get some mouse traps set up in the garage! Is there a good but cheaper source for oil and filters?
    I took the twisty mountain road 81 mile route to the dealership and the 105 mile interstate route home. The interstate was 15 minutes quicker but the country roads were far more fun. It was a great ride!

Spyder Garage

If you have a rodent problem make sure you plug the exhaust with steel wool before storage.
    It's really disgusting if the critters nest in your muffler.

Spyder Garage

Get in touch with BajaRon. He's a sponsor and his ad is on our home page. He will get you the right stuff and he does it fast.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Get in touch with BajaRon. He's a sponsor and his ad is on our home page. He will get you the right stuff and he does it fast.
    I second that. I've purchased two kits from Ron along with a supply of oil. Everything was reasonably priced and shipped quickly with no muss and no fuss. When my new car is ready for its first oil change, I plan to get a supply of Amsoil from Ron for that too.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    If you have a rodent problem make sure you plug the exhaust with steel wool before storage.
    It's really disgusting if the critters nest in your muffler.
    i've said that to my wife

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

Bajaron sells an oil filter with all new washers for about $13.00 delivered and Walmart sells Valvoline 4 Stroke Full Syn for Mtc's 10w/40 ( for 1330 engine ) for as low as $ 6.35 per qt. on sale .....So your looking at $ 45.00 per Oil change DIY......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

If you go to other available oils and filters BajaRon is the way to go. You can also shop around for better prices. I get the kits online and they are better priced. Can"t compare cause I have an RS but I save a lot compared to the dealers around here. Strange thing is it usually ships from dealers elsewhere with free shipping...

The exhaust, the air box are favorites, have seen some good home remedies here you could do a search.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default MOTH BALLS!!

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    I just got the first service done on the 2014 Spyder RT. I bought an oil change kit so that I could do the next change myself and save the 200 mile round trip to the dealer. To my surprise the kit was $93 with tax. Seems a lot for a filter and a few bottles of oil. A rat had built a nest on top of the engine so the service was timely. Gotta get some mouse traps set up in the garage! Is there a good but cheaper source for oil and filters?
    I took the twisty mountain road 81 mile route to the dealership and the 105 mile interstate route home. The interstate was 15 minutes quicker but the country roads were far more fun. It was a great ride!
    Here's a tip that really works: If you park your Spyder in a garage, or other enclosed space, put out some MOTH BALLS, in "butter cups", near your Spyder. They will keep all those unwanted critters away, as well as spiders, moths, and other assorted bugs.
    CapNCrunch
    in Montana : =)

Spyder Garage

you can use most any motorcycle oil that meets the manuals specs. I used Castrol Full synthetic in my RS at about $7 a quart (i have used that in my sport bike for a few years and really like it) and paid about $10 for a K&N oil filter on amazon. my 2015 hasnt needed a change yet so not sure about the filter for that one.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

BAJARON