Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer question / concern

Hi all,
    Does anyone know what training is required for a dealer mechanic to work on Spyders? The dealer where I purchasd my 08 SM5 is a large multi brand cycle dealer who took on the Spyder line. I have the discinction (not a good thing) of being his first Spyder customer although another was sold that same week. He also now has three more on the show room floor. I have been reading all the excellent information provided by all of you. As a result I have purchased a belt tensioning gage, and spare relay. I went to the dealer to get precautionary exhaust gaskets but they did not have any in stock (they did have the new part number come up on their screen). I also tried to get an oil filter but they had zero in stock. I had a hand full of service bulletins including the one where BRP said wrong filters were sent to dealers and improperly identified on the box. The dealer was unaware. We talked for a while and they had absolutely no knowledge of any issues with the Spyder and no clue regarding the horrendous number of shifting problems and power steering issues being experienced primarily by electric shift units. They were not aware of any issues nor were they aware of any other service bulletins. When my Spyder was delivered the horn did not work and I found the spade leads were not attached at the horn. It left the factory that way and also passed the dealer pre delivery check. One would think pressing the horn button would be a logical test. My front tires had 55 lbs pressure in each. The rear was OK and that is probably because it is almost impossible to check. So - back to my original question - I wonder if dealers are required to get factory training and if so how extensive the training may be? I also wonder what happens at most dealers regarding receiving and actually reading service bulletins so they have a basic awareness regarding issues. Can it be that the only knowledge they gain is that found by trial and error when a machine comes into their shop.
    Would you want to be the first to take your new toy into service when the service dept appears to be unaware? I have always done all my own work except warranty repair work on my vehicles over the years but am concerned about being a shop Spyder ginny pig if heaven forbid I should encounter a warranty issue. I think I need a Spyder shrink to talk me through this!

Spyder Garage

Don't want to throw cold water on anything, but my shop tech told me the only training he had was a DVD video sent to him by BRP.

Juice
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

I do not know what training is required to be a "Spyder Tech". I am not convinced that it is all that much. Not that it particularly bothers me as a good wrench can pick things up quickly. And all the training in the world will not fix a bad wrench.

One thing that I will caution you about is the comment you made "regarding the horrendous number of shifting problems and power steering issues being experienced".

Thousands of owners have gotten hundreds of thousands of trouble free, fun filled miles from their Spyders. A relatively few issues tend to get blown out of proportion in a forum setting. Especially if the problem happens to more than 1 member.

Of course, if the issue happens to you then it is a BIG DEAL. And I don't mean to discount problems. Just that you have to keep it all in perspective.

The Spyder is new and like nothing else ever produced. It will take awhile for everything to get settled out. We are all Guinea Pigs on this one. Most of us understand what that means and we (sort of) volunteered for it.

There is a certain amount of risk involved when you decide to be the first one to have something. In the case of the Spyder, risk vs gain is hugely in our favor. The Spyder is well engineered with relatively few (and most of them minor) issues.

There are products out there that have been produced for decades with more issues than the Spyder (and cost more too).

I think you'll love your Spyder. Visit here once in awhile to keep ahead of the curve and be up-front with your dealer.

I love my Spyder and I'd do it again without a doubt!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) 8LEGS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I purchased mine there too

I purchased my Spyder on December 10th and picked it up on December 16th. I had a good experience with Action Motorsports. I ordered the 6 spoke rims, 12 volt acc. Plug, trunk liner, hindle exhaust, and fog lights. They answered all my questions. I have to say, I did know more about the Spyder than the salesmen, but I probably spent most of my free time online reading everything I could. They are new at selling the Spyder and granted, may not know all the ins and outs about it, but they seemed very knowledgeable about the other products they sell, and in time, will be so with the Spyder. I imagine they did get minimal training on the Spyder. I'm willing to give them a chance.

My Spyder was at least the third one they have assembled. There was two demo units on the floor when I purchased mine, a silver SM5 and a yellow SM5. Which one did you get? Perhaps the horn was an over site, there is no excuse on the tire pressure. Everything on mine checked out.

All I can say is give them a chance. I'm not sorry I purchased my Spyder and I would do it again.

Spyder Garage

wholeheartedly with bajaron & 8legs. Ask anyone here you will soon get accustomed to knowing more than the dealer or their tech. Also I can say my dealer has been very good and has had all the bulletins We've asked him about. Give em a chance and enjoy the ride. .

Spyder Garage

My understanding is that there are some DVDs or computer tutorials available to acquaint techs to the Spyder. There is apparently also a factory Spyder school, which our tech, who is very good, is said to have attended. Supposedly all authorized dealers must have at least one trained tech to retain the franchise. All dealers should also also have access to BOSSWEB, so they can be up on current bulletins and issues. A good dealer would also backtrack, and read the old issues and service bulletins. I expect they should also have a hard copy of the service bulletins, updated periodically. It would certainly take some time to get up to speed, and get trained and ready. It probably also takes some time to get at least a minimal parts inventory, but standard maintenance parts should be stocked. I would cut them some slack since they are new, but I would expect to see improvement soon.

Perhaps one of the dealers or service people who frequent here could chime in on the actual requirements. Am I off base?
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

The first dealership I went to appeared to have no real clue about the Spyder. I was not sold on buying one. My wife and I knew a whole lot more than they did just by reading the (limited at that time) information we could find online. This was before Spyders were shipping and there weren't any dedicated forums. Today, what we have here on SpyderLovers or at SpyderTalk is simply amazing.

Anyways, the second dealer that we found had a service manager that went to a multi-day (one or two weeks?, three days?, not sure) Spyder school and he knew tons about the Spyder. An hour or so of talking with him that day sold me. At the time, he said only selected dealers were invited to the school and he was the only one in our area. It is a great confidence booster when people at your dealership seem to have a lot of knowledge about the Spyder.

ps. I remember when first trying to buy oil filters, crush washers and o-rings that many places were having trouble keeping them in stock or even getting them for stock. Many folks noted the same things, that their dealerships didn't have oil filters in stock. People were trying to find aftermarket / replacement filters because of the filter cost and the shortage. A couple of times I was forced to reuse o-rings and crush washers as they weren't available from the dealership. Thankfully I have always been able to get a filter, either from the dealership or NoMagicNeon.
    Last edited by bjt; 02-23-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Always good to research this and other forums before heading to the dealer with your problem. Knowing about your problem(s) and possible fixes will put you in the driver seat. But I hear you on being dealer's guine pig .... not a very good feeling.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Great group of shrinks

As usual you are very informative and great Spydershrinks!
    Your feedback and different perspectives are very beneficial.
    The people at the dealership have been very friendly and I hope their knowledge and technical expertise of the Spyder proves to be of the same caliber. I understand that everyone has a learning curve but I also hope that BRP has a mandatory technical training school with a requirement that all Spyder mechanics become certified factory mechanics.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default One other item

Just thought you all will enjoy the expertise level from which I am speaking when I discuss my Spyder concerns. I probably have the distinction of having the most spare parts and fewest actual miles - yep - I am up to a great total of 70 Spyder miles now here in frozen Indiana. With 70 miles under my belt I am currently awaiting delivery of my 4th windshield in addition to my pile of "just in case parts".
    Although I am new to the Spyder I have been riding motorcycles continusously since 1972 and my most recent bikes have all been BMW's. BMW's also have classic failure components such as rear splines but after nearly 100,000 miles on BMW's I did not experience any major failures. I must admit to being unnecessarily suspicious over the Spyder reliability due to the forum and need to refocus . I plan to ride many thousands of miles this coming season and hopefully the Spyder will prove to be as reliable as my past machines.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I Understand the Worry

I have to say that my dealer in San Juan Capistrano, California is one of the best----I've said this before, 4 men run the place---the manager, salesman, businessman, and Lam, the service mechanic. Lam got a short training period---but he can take that thing down backward, forward, and sideways----he is Mr. Wrench as far as I'm concerned. Training is but a small part of mechanics---intelligence, dexterity, and experience win most of the time. I had the oil pressure spring replaced, which was a techical recall, and have had no trouble at all with 1000+ miles----my biggest problem is that I'm tall and need a good pair of foot pegs---but not set at the width of the Spyder---If I could knock a hole in the plastic sides so I could stick my feet in, that might do. I can almost push myself back on the passenger part of my Corbin seat and operate everything from there----if I could get the handlebars back another 6", it would be a perfect way to go. On my trip to hell's Kitchen up Ortega Highway---on turns and curves the rocket-riders love, I really got into handling the "Black Widow." And leaning with the turns helps---loosen up and lean with it. I love that darn thing, and I hope the SE5 owners stay with them---

Spyder Garage

How about these? They work fine for me at 5'10".

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...5&postcount=86

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    ...my biggest problem is that I'm tall and need a good pair of foot pegs---but not set at the width of the Spyder---If I could knock a hole in the plastic sides so I could stick my feet in, that might do...
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder: