Spyder Garage

Red face GPS Power SUpply Question

I have read some horror stories about bikes being stranded and one guru on you tube suggest that the wiring harness on all newer bikes do not take kindly to adding electrical options so Im being a bit careful. That being said , Im fairly happy with using my Iphone or I pod in the trunk but would like to have a screen to look at when Im seeking directions. I don't have speakers in helmets and don't want to get crazy with blue tooth dongle, etc
    Im hoping to use my old Garmin Nuvi as a stand alone GPS. Its simple enough to fashion a bracket for the handle bars using a $5 Nuvi mount from Ebay, but with regad to the wiring, I hate to mess with the OEM harness and I think the only OEM 12 volt powerlet is in the rear trunk?
    What I was thinking was to feed the stock wire and plug from the Nuvi up through the center of the handlebar into my fabricated bracket into the back of the Nuvi but on the lower end Im wondering if I can modify the end of the cable to connect to the stock GPS connector under the side panel and exactly which prongs I would pick up for power only. I guess I could locate the positive pin with a simple meter . Where would I get the OEM connector to fit the plug under the side panel?

Any help is appreciated and my main concern is that I don't casue an issue with the OEM panel which could cause error messages or limp mode

I do sort of miss my old Honda Valkyrie LOL

Spyder Garage

It would be nice if you would tell us which model Spyder you got and year. That way we could help more. Why not go straight to the battery with an inline fuse?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you pull the panel you will be able to clearly see which wires are power for the GPS on the bikes harness.
    You do not say what year you have though. Older model did not come with the harness and you have to go back to the connector at the radio in the saddle bag, later models come with the harness which is on the right side of the gas tank.

Again though you will be able to see which are power wires once you see it.

And no, it won't mess with the bike. I hooked my own GPS up like you are wanting to do no problem.
    I have a video in the DIY section.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thank yo both

I have a 2015 RT- S SE 6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then you have the harness. However from what I have heard they moved it from the right side near the gas tank to the left side on 2016.
    I am not sure just something I heard on the 2016 models.
    But when you see it, you will see the 12V connector vs the audio connector and it will be obvious.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Hummm

ANy reason I cant tap into the trickle charger line in the trunk which I assume is connected to the battery . I realize it wont be key operated

Spyder Garage

Default Alternative to adding wiring

I was going to add a 12 volt outlet on my dash, but was concerned about the same thing.

My solution was to go to Bast Buy, and for 50 bucks I purchased a battery back up for my phone (I use it for music, GPS and making and receiving calls). It is flat, gives 27 extra hours of power.

I Velcro it to the back of the phone and presto, I have plenty of power.

Spyder Garage

Default back up power

HOw do connect phone for music

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonridernj View Post
    HOw do connect phone for music
    You say you have a 2015 RT- S SE 6 ... there should be a couple wires in the trunk you can use to plug either an iPod or MP3 player directly into the sound system somewhere in there ...

Spyder Garage

Default YES in the trunk

I have the I pod or I phone 5 pin connector and a 12 volt cigarette lighter connection for power

That works fine for music. The bike is even setup to interface with an I Pod player for song selection and such

I was trying to get a visual display for directions on the dash rather than try to go based on the verbal directions from the phone GPS since IM hard of hearing and with the helmet on I may not hear it all.

I think I found a simple method
    Im going to mount my old Garmin Nuvi on the dash board top by gluing a mount on top . There is a pigtail in the frunk for trickle charging the battery . Im going to take a matching connector and wire it onto the end of the gps feed wire and drop it from the dash into the trunk under the windshield and down the front of the bike (not pretty) . IF the wire causes the trunk not to seal or close properly, then I will have to get the wire from the top of the dash into the trunk somehow

Spyder Garage

If you do not have a power plug in the front trunk. Then the wires for one are behind the trunk inside a rubber boot. You can get power from there. It is on the same circuit as the power plug in the rear. So that gives you the choice of being switched or not depending on the fuse position in the fuse box.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Turkey Slayer
    Spyder Garage

Default What!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If you do not have a power plug in the front trunk. Then the wires for one are behind the trunk inside a rubber boot. You can get power from there. It is on the same circuit as the power plug in the rear. So that gives you the choice of being switched or not depending on the fuse position in the fuse box.
    You mean I can make the frunk plug and rear plug turn off with the Key? Please tell me how to do that...I won't say why...but it would be really nice to have them turn off. I have a 2015 RT-S SE6.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaGrlz View Post
    You mean I can make the frunk plug and rear plug turn off with the Key? Please tell me how to do that...I won't say why...but it would be really nice to have them turn off. I have a 2015 RT-S SE6.
    It is mentioned on page 152 of your manual. But not very descriptive. So how you do it is. But refer to this for the diagram.

Remove the access cover for the right fuse box. The Spyders right not yours. It is located in the rear front trunk, under the liner if you have it. That will give you access to the fuse box cover for the right fuse box.
    Remove it by pinching the top and bottom tabs at the same time. Then pull.
    Counting from your left. Remove fuse number 7 and install it in slot number 6.
    Reinstall the fuse box cover. Make sure it is installed correctly because if it is not water will get in and cause trouble.
    Reinstall the access cover. Make sure it is installed correctly or water will leak into your trunk.

2018 F3 LIMITED