Spyder Garage

Default Here I go Again. Still The Same Problem

2015 RT LTD SE6

I thought I had this issue solved, but I guessed wrong .
    Today after some rain and washing the Spyder, I once again found water in both fuse covers which are located in the front frunk. Both covers had already been replaced under warranty.

I don't understand why water is running behind all the electrical wires (back of fuse blocks) and than entering into the front fuse covers. Picture attached showing the water inside the one cover.

I know I posted something about this in 2015, but since that time the covers have been replaced.
    I understand they will be contacting BRP for suggestions.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spydertrike; 03-29-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Liquid electric tape?

I just had a 3000 service done on my STL. There was a recall for it for the fuse box for some reason. Long story short, I had to go back several days later for them to finish because they didn't have the liquid electrical tape. When I took the Spyder back, I saw the can, (it was from Home Depot) that they used. I wonder if the trickm9s to coat the back of the fuse box with the liquid tape. Or, maybe they were supposed to, but didn't. Just a that. You might be able to get the stuff yourself and seal up the fuse boxes.

good luck with your problem.
    So far, my second childhood is better than my first.

Spyder Garage

If I understand you correctly you are saying you find water behind the first cover. I take that to mean the access covers on the back of the front trunk. That's normal and expected since it is wet there. The purpose of those covers is to stop water from getting the front trunk. If there is no water in the front trunk they are doing there job.

The second cover is the fuse box cover is sealed to keep water out of the fuses. Like I said because water does get in that area. You made no mention of the fuses getting wet.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If misunderstood you, take a couple picture of what you mean. That may make it clearer.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could it be that they're just not getting "clicked" into place completely?
    Sorry: I HAD to mention this as a possibility!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If the fuse boxes are wet again IE INSIDE the box where the fuses plug in. You should insist they replace the fuse boxes this time. The contacts are not made of corrosion proof material and are not intended to get wet. Corrosion will set up and you will have no end of electical gremlins. It really sounds like the wiring is not sealed on the back of the fuses boxes. Many of the 2013s had this issue and was subject to a recall.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If misunderstood you, take a couple picture of what you mean. That may make it clearer.
    I have now added one picture in my original post that shows the one cover with water in it. I don't believe these covers are to have water gaining access to the inside of them. At some point the water will enter the inside of the frunk. Also I'm sure after time while riding, the water will get into the second cover which covers the fuses etc.

Water and electrical not a great combination.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by spydertrike View Post
    I have now added one picture in my original post that shows the one cover with water in it. I don't believe these covers are to have water gaining access to the inside of them. At some point the water will enter the inside of the frunk. Also I'm sure after time while riding, the water will get into the second cover which covers the fuses etc.

The spyder is not a Submarine and BRP does not make that claim as to it's waterproofness ........I think what Billy said is correct and sufficient ................jmho also.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydertrike View Post

Just as I expected. Finding water in the access cover is normal and expected. I am sorry but you are looking at it wrong. You say that there should not be water inside the access cover. That is not the inside. It is the outside. Open to the elements. I hate to maybe shock you but if you take off the battery access cover. It will be wet too. So will the battery. The important part is that no water gets in the fuse boxes. There is a second cover that protects it from water. From time to time I will spray the water in the side between the A-arms to rinse off the dirt that may be in that area. Will not cause any harm. I will go looking for a picture of a Spyder with the front trunk removed to show you what I mean.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Here is a picture courtesy of Romorg. It shows one of the fuse boxes with the front trunk removed. As you can see there is nothing to stop water splashing around that area. Also the fuse box is sealed against water getting in.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Here is a picture courtesy of Romorg. It shows one of the fuse boxes with the front trunk removed. As you can see there is nothing to stop water splashing around that area. Also the fuse box is sealed against water getting in.

Thanks for the picture, greatly appreciated. OK so I'm thinking the cheap foam gasket/seal located on the inside face of each of the outer fuse box covers is suppose to stop water from entering the inside of these covers. My second set of covers the foam gaskets/seals are already deformed. Not a tight seal.

Spyder Garage

Just looking at the first pic the gasket along the edge of it has depressions & will cause gaps , lil airflow will create suction & you will get water in the craziest places. Keep dealer & BRP INFORMED, make new ticket if needed, one warranty fix may not do it as some have found on other items Best of luck to you, hope a solution is found Aside from sealing entire box in silicone
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-29-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Silicone

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack