Spyder Garage

Default Akrapaviche muffler

I just installed a new Ackapavice muffler on my 2014 RT and took it for a short ride. I noticed a lot of popping during deceleration, anyone know if the computer will eventually get rid of this?

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that I recalled it being mentioned that you had to let the bike sit idling for a period of time, in order to let the computer get itself used to the new setup?
    Was there anything in the instructions like that?
    And if so; did you do it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No instruction other than some very bad install pictures that came with it. I will try idling again to see if that helps, I did not let it idle long before I test drove it. I like the sound other wise, no loader just a bit sounds a bit more aggressive.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    No instruction other than some very bad install pictures that came with it. I will try idling again to see if that helps, I did not let it idle long before I test drove it. I like the sound other wise, no loader just a bit sounds a bit more aggressive.
    Most of the popping you hear was there all along - you're just hearing it louder because of the muffler. Idling for a bit will only allow the ECM to trim the idle mixture. Ride the thing throughout a full range of operation and that will allow the ECM to trim the mixture throughout. 100 to 200 miles or so. That's what the O2 sensor and the ECM are doing - maintaining the proper Air-Fuel Ratio. You make a change, they compensate for the change and put the AFR back to where it was to begin with. As long as you got the connection tight where the muffler joins the pipe - RIDE IT. If you don't get any codes - KEEP RIDING IT.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I've had mine on my 2010 RTS for about a year and it has popped when deceleration since I put it on. When I installed it I let it idle and varied the rpm' over a 20 minute period. I was concerned it might be running lean and posted a question specific to that and the general consensus was it's normal. I'd have to agree, the popping has always been there, the stock muffler hides it.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just installed a new Ackapavice muffler on my 2014 RT and took it for a short ride. I noticed a lot of popping during deceleration, anyone know if the computer will eventually get rid of this?

Thanks
    I have new Akripovic exhaust on my new 2015RT. No popping sound at all. After the install I let the spyder idle for 10 min to let the ECM adjust to new muffler.
    Runs great and no loud popping. Try letting your spyder idle for 10min before riding it. Make sure that here is no exhaust leak where new pipe is connected.

Spyder Garage

I did some reading up on "popping" on deceleration and it seems a lot of performance cars like to hear it, lol. I know it was always there and it is only obvious now that the muffler is different but I have never been a fan of it. I am sure I will get used to it and not even notice it after a while I was just curious if the system will deal with as it retunes.

Take care and thanks,

Spyder Garage

Default No popping with mine.

When I had mine installed about a year ago the instructions specifically said to allow the to idle for about a half hour after the install. I pointed this out to the dealer that did the install and they were not aware of this instruction until I pointed it out.
    My new ride is a 2017 F3-L: BRP drivers backrest, F4 21" tinted shield w/vent, Lamonster fog lights, TRCLED cyclops light, red/black carbon fiber tank protector and dash kit from Wrap-My-Spyder, FOBO tire pressure monitors and more farkles to come.

Spyder Garage

My instructions said 15 minutes and I let it run at least that amount of time. The second time I did it after the cool down I ran it about the same time and the popping has dramatically been reduced. I bet once I get more riding time on it it will continue to improve based on what I have heard.

Thanks all

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Any codes thrown?
    1. Check fluids & tire pressures.
    2. Start bike.
    3. Hold on.
    4. Full throttle.
    5. Repeat 3-5.

Spyder Garage

No Codes, I took it for a run yesterday. It is a bit louder but mid-range is snappier now.

Spyder Garage

This is a test. Can anyone here spell the name of this Muffler correctly?
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

?????
    [/QUOTE]

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

My guess would be George. That's what I would name it.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by funon3 View Post
    When I had mine installed about a year ago the instructions specifically said to allow the to idle for about a half hour after the install. I pointed this out to the dealer that did the install and they were not aware of this instruction until I pointed it out.
    Jus looking at your map and wondering how you rode in Minnesota and Indiana, without ever going through Illinois or Wisconsin.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Spell it
    i can't even say it.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

A-KRAP-O-VIC....How'd I do......

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now Jack, u kno peeple caint allways spail there werds propperrly avery thyme.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/intro

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    You don't mention whether you have the baffles in or out. On down shifting, without the baffles, I get a lot of popping - not so much with them in.

They are in, right now - in a plastic bag in my garage! That is where they will remain!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I have the baffles in but I find the muffler to loud for my taste, I am seriously thinking of selling it and goint back to the old set up. I put about 75 miles on it so far so I will give it a bit more time but not impressed. One thing I can say it has made a power difference, when I came out of my favorite coffee shop I accelerated hard like I normally do and the back tire broke loose and slide to the right like I was on ice. It sure impressed those that seen me, lol.

Spyder Garage

After viewing another members picture I realize I do not have baffles in this muffler. I called my dealer and he is willing to swap it out with one that does. Got to love a good dealer (Life Style Honda in Mt. Vernon WA.). Looking forward to a much quieter muffler, lol. I the mean time I put the stock muffler back.
    I went though a Starbucks on Saturday and the guy acted shocked when I pulled up, he said I could not see you on the camera so I thought expected to see a truck, lol.