Thread: Toy Hauler

Spyder Garage

Default Toy Hauler

I want a toyhauler. The wife has found 1 (read one) that I can have. Haven't got it yet. The problem is, when backed in, and it will have to be backed in (small camper) there will be about 1 foot of freeboard in front and on the side of the wheels. Any ideas on how to tie it down? I've looked at the superclamp, but not sure there's the room to back it in, install the clamp and pull forward onto the clamp. Also, when in the camper, there will be limited access to the sides of the Spyder.

Thanks
    Chuck
    Last edited by hillrider; 03-27-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    '15 RTS

Spyder Garage

Not enough information here to make an intelligent reply. I have Superclamps and I love them. Backing up and in would take some practice. They are designed to drive into. My advice: get a bigger toy hauler that you can drive into.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

In my experience making due with the least has never worked well. I now just save a little longer and search a lot further for the right one where you are not so limited. But if you stick with this one check with Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911) he has some good systems to secure your ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR TOY HAULER

Quote Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
    I want a toyhauler. The wife has found 1 (read one) that I can have. Haven't got it yet. The problem is, when backed in, and it will have to be backed in (small camper) there will be about 1 foot of freeboard in front and on the side of the wheels. Any ideas on how to tie it down? I've looked at the superclamp, but not sure there's the room to back it in, install the clamp and pull forward onto the clamp. Also, when in the camper, there will be limited access to the sides of the Spyder.

Thanks
    Chuck
    Hi, If the Spyder fits --- why does it have to be backed in ????.....My system ( which has been accident tested -twice ) involves a heavy duty ratchet strap put over the rear tire ( in-line with the tread ) hooked to floor front and rear and then tightened...I also put blocks on the floor on the sides of the front wheels to prevent sideways movement.......This could be done on both front wheels, however getting the straps over the tires is going to be tricky...................good luck ........Mike .......PS, this is exactly the way U-HAUL attaches cars to the dollies they rent.....so this is Lawyer certified to prevent lawsuits

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My system ( which has been accident tested -twice ) involves a heavy duty ratchet strap put over the rear tire ( in-line with the tread ) hooked to floor front and rear and then tightened...
    Twice??

Did you learn something from the second lesson; that got missed on the first attempt?

Sorry... just kiddin' with ya!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default TWO ACCIDENTS - SORT OF

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Twice??

Did you learn something from the second lesson; that got missed on the first attempt?

Sorry... just kiddin' with ya!
    #1. Hitting the Pa. Toll booth Steel Stantion and ripping the Hitch with trailer ( and Dee's Spyder ) from my Truck. ..... #2. Driving over a raised road divider with my RT in my truck..............Neither Spyder moved
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-27-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're gonna have to get you some better glasses...

QUICK!!! What movie was this from???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi, If the Spyder fits --- why does it have to be backed in ????.....My system ( which has been accident tested -twice ) involves a heavy duty ratchet strap put over the rear tire ( in-line with the tread ) hooked to floor front and rear and then tightened...I also put blocks on the floor on the sides of the front wheels to prevent sideways movement.......This could be done on both front wheels, however getting the straps over the tires is going to be tricky...................good luck ........Mike .......PS, this is exactly the way U-HAUL attaches cars to the dollies they rent.....so this is Lawyer certified to prevent lawsuits
    A bigger trailer won't fit behind my half ton chevy, and I don't want to drive a 3/4 ton when I not towing. It has to be backed in because the nose lacks 10" clearing the kitchen counter. Your idea is essentially what I do when towing the utility trailer, I just need to come up with a 5' wide "C" clamp for the front (or maybe just a 6" and capture one wheel). Maybe a 3/4 sheet of plywood cut to a "C", with short 2x4's screwed to the top and bottom of the C, and then bolted to the floor. Thanks for the ideas. For those interested, look at this http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...delID=829#Main.
    '15 RTS

Spyder Garage

Default CONFIGURATION

A bigger trailer won't fit behind my half ton chevy, and I don't want to drive a 3/4 ton when I not towing. It has to be backed in because the nose lacks 10" clearing the kitchen counter. Your idea is essentially what I do when towing the utility trailer, I just need to come up with a 5' wide "C" clamp for the front (or maybe just a 6" and capture one wheel). Maybe a 3/4 sheet of plywood cut to a "C", with short 2x4's screwed to the top and bottom of the C, and then bolted to the floor. Thanks for the ideas. For those interested, look at this http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...delID=829#Main.
    I see you have an RT......the rear of the RT has more size issues than the front !!! imho.........And I have the same NOSE issues you have when I put my RT into my Toyota Pk-up ( flat- bed with box ).....I just re-move the frunk ( 6 bolts ) and put it on my shelf over the cab.........Just a thought.......Mike

Spyder Garage

I see you have an RT......the rear of the RT has more size issues than the front !!! imho.........And I have the same NOSE issues you have when I put my RT into my Toyota Pk-up ( flat- bed with box ).....I just re-move the frunk ( 6 bolts ) and put it on my shelf over the cab.........Just a thought.......Mike
    The front is 20" wider than the back. 6 bolts - I must check into this. Thanks!

edit - 6 bolts might not be so doable at a campsite, but thanks anyway.
    Last edited by hillrider; 03-27-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    '15 RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Tie downs

How about a D ring near each front wheel with a short strap over or around the A frame or lower joint.
    Once the front is secured and snugged, then secure the rear wheel like mike explained.
    I've considered a toy hauler also, but would like to have the bed above the bike and lower when needed.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wheel Tie Downs

This is what Mike is talking about. I use them over the front wheels. Spyder never moves. I purchased mine from E-Trailer .com

Spyder Garage

We have a 17ft Toy Hauler, the left front wheel stops just 3in. short of the refrigerator. I added a small wood block and lock the wheel down with the d-ring. Strap the right wheel to the d-ring, then the rear I use two straps one each to the d-rings. We have hauled it over 15000 miles and it doesn't move.

Spyder Garage

​How big is your toy hauler? I pull a 20 foot behind my Half ton with no problem. Ford 150 Eco Boost. Toy hauler empty weighs #6000.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    In my experience making due with the least has never worked well. I now just save a little longer and search a lot further for the right one where you are not so limited. But if you stick with this one check with Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911) he has some good systems to secure your ryde...
    Yes, mike ( Blueknight911) does have a very good system to secure the down. I can vouch for that. It was my 2012RTS-SE5 spyder that was on a snow mobile trailer. Also, my spyder did not move. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 03-27-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

QUICK!!! What movie was this from???
    Fine, I'll bite, Bob...

Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

​How big is your toy hauler? I pull a 20 foot behind my Half ton with no problem. Ford 150 Eco Boost. Toy hauler empty weighs #6000.

Jack
    The trailer is 30' long. But it's claim to fame is that if I back the Spyder in, I can still use all of the trailer (albeit a little cramped) for overnighting without unloading. Grosses as 7800, but so does my current one and truck grosses at 9500 - no worries.
    '15 RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When we had our 35' 5th wheel hauler, we tied the Spyder using ratchet straps on each front wheel to D rings, and cam lock straps either side of the passenger footrests to D rings, in an X pattern. For added security we placed wedge shaped chocks in front of the front tires and one behind the back tire; kicked them tight against the tires. I remember one very potholed / rough highway in New Mexico, the screws holding our screen door backed out but our Spyder stayed tied down.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have the identical 26 RR model and can load my RT-S either forward or backward. I just used the existing hold downs and tied though the wheels.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Fine, I'll bite, Bob...

Tango and Cash?
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

Default THE BOLTS THING

The front is 20" wider than the back. 6 bolts - I must check into this. Thanks!

edit - 6 bolts might not be so doable at a campsite, but thanks anyway.
    Actually there are 8 bolts but I use 6......The frunk is really supported by two very large sturdy HOOKS that protrude from the frame at the top edge of the frunk....there are four bolts across the top....I only use two because they are the ones that are easily accessible, the other two aren't.....The two under the frunk edge can be accessed if your Spyder is driven up onto doubled 2 X 4's , once you know where they are you can find them by feel....The other two bolts are on the Frunk wings at the ends , you pop off the side panels to expose them....takes about 15 minutes...........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    I have the identical 26 RR model and can load my RT-S either forward or backward. I just used the existing hold downs and tied though the wheels.
    Thank you - Thank you - Thank You. A picture is worth a thousand tape readings. Because of Levodopa, I'll be able to take the little bikes (Vstrom-FZ07) for a couple of years (I hope) but that won't last forever, and I'll go back to needing the Spyder. Again, Thanks for the picture. Chuck
    '15 RTS

Spyder Garage

We use out TOWEYEZ to 1. pull the bike onto the trailer and then 2. to secure it to the trailer.

Spyder Garage

The english language is a great thing. But a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks - Chuck
    '15 RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Fine, I'll bite, Bob...

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    Tango and Cash?

DING!!
    We have a PAIR of winners here!!!