Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by RDW View Post
    So I'm thinking of making this purchase, but wanted to get feedback on the reliability of this bike and what do you guys NOT like about it?
    As you see, everyone likes their RS - especially if they have a 2014 model or newer. However, to be fair, there has been a lot of complaints on the forum about a DESS problem on the 2014 models that can occasionally leave you stranded. DESS stands for "Digitally Encoded Security System" and has to do with the security chip key system the Spyder uses. Since I own an earlier model, I don't know if BRP has fully resolved it, yet, and/or if it extends to the 2015 models as well. Perhaps someone more familiar with the problem will chime in here.

That said, for as sophisticated as this machine is - much more so than most bikes - reliability problems seem to be relatively few. Also, Spyders have a two-year factory warranty, which can be extended for another 3 years at a reasonable cost. Many buyers get their dealers do throw in the extended warranty as part of the deal, and sometimes BRP offers two extra years free as a sales promotion - especially on left-over models. The manufacturer is generally pretty good about fixing problems that may crop up if any. So "reliability" is really not much of a concern for a Can Am Spyder, IMO.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-30-2016 at 06:53 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

We just picked up our 2015 RT-S SE6 today. The service manager did the walk through with us and I have to say after being on this forum with all these great knowledgeable people for a few months I really felt like I understood what he was showing us. Thank you all. We only had 1 small issue with what he wanted us to do. He asked us to inspect the tightness of the front wheel lug nuts after 20 miles. REALLY? once we got on it we didn't stop for 75 miles. Then we turned around and headed home. Another 70 miles later we are home with big grins on our faces and both front wheels still where they are supposed to be. LOL I will check the lugs in the morning before I head out for another ride.I would recommend one of these bike for anyone who to ride without a cage around them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    As you see, everyone likes their RS - especially if they have a 2014 model or newer. However, to be fair, there has been a lot of complaints on the forum about a DESS problem on the 2014 models that can occasionally leave you stranded. DESS stands for "Digitally Encoded Security System" and has to do with the security chip key system the Spyder uses. Since I own an earlier model, I don't know if BRP has fully resolved it, yet, and/or if it extends to the 2015 models as well. Perhaps someone more familiar with the problem will chime in here.

That said, for as sophisticated as this machine is - much more so than most bikes - reliability problems seem to be relatively few. Also, Spyders have a two-year factory warranty, which can be extended for another 3 years at a reasonable cost. Many buyers get their dealers do throw in the extended warranty as part of the deal, and sometimes BRP offers two extra years free as a sales promotion - especially on left-over models. The manufacturer is generally pretty good about fixing problems that may crop up if any. So "reliability" is really not much of a concern for a Can Am Spyder, IMO.
    I think that DESS problem still persists b/c there is a couple in our motorcycle group that have the 2015's and one of them had the issue with the key and had to take it back to BRP for repair. Not overly worried about that as much as I am for general maintenance costs.
    RDW

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think that DESS problem still persists b/c there is a couple in our motorcycle group that have the 2015's and one of them had the issue with the key and had to take it back to BRP for repair. Not overly worried about that as much as I am for general maintenance costs.
    like I mentioned get the prepaid maintence from the dealership it covers all the intervals for maintence then you got no worries are you buying from freedom power sports in Lewisville? that's where I got mine have had no problems from them.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    like I mentioned get the prepaid maintence from the dealership it covers all the intervals for maintenance then you got no worries are you buying from freedom power sports in Lewisville? that's where I got mine have had no problems from them.
    No, I'm going to Louis Powersports in Greenville. You don't really save a lot of money by purchasing the maintenance plan. I guess the big advantage is not having to come out of your pocket at that particular time. We'll see what happens on Saturday. I'll let you know.
    RDW

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Went to the dealer yesterday to purchase one of these bikes. I asked the salesman, "how much are oil changes on these things?" He said, "anywhere from $280 to $300". What the What? Really? Is that normal? What do you guys pay for your oil changes?
    My dealer in northern OH said $350 when I bought my RT-S this winter.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DO IT YOURSELF

When my RTL needed the first oil change, I said to myself, I can do it. I ran the RTL up on car ramps, locked it into park, used my floor jack to jack up the back end, put boards under the rear tire and then proceeded. Just follow the directions (YouTube) and take the sections of tupper wear off in sequence to get to the oil tank and filters. I ordered my filters via the internet. Just take your time, play the 60's and 70's music up loud, pay no attention to the wife complaining, and save a bundle of money. I used 100% 10w30 synthetic after putting on 1400 miles to ensure a good break in. GOOD LUCK AND FUN!!!!!

Went to the dealer yesterday to purchase one of these bikes. I asked the salesman, "how much are oil changes on these things?" He said, "anywhere from $280 to $300". What the What? Really? Is that normal? What do you guys pay for your oil changes?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up First oil change

Hi RDW,

I had the stealer do the first service and sign the owners manual. I also purchased drain bolts with hex heads and the mech replaced them, no charge.
    Next oil and filter I'll do my self ( been doing them for decades) with ramps and a jack. YouTube vids show how easy it is.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Guess it depends on the dealer. I went to my dealer this morning and this is what I had done to get my RT ready for Spring...

1. Replace engine oil & filters
    2. Check coolant level and brake fluid level
    3. Torque front wheel lugs
    4. Lube front suspension arms
    5. Inspect belt condition and adjust tension
    6. Check and torque front belt sprocket
    7. Run BUDS check and advise any fault codes

Plus, it was raining this morning when I rode it to the shop, so they wiped it all down for me.

The bill for everything was $241.91 including labor, oil, parts, shop supplies, and sales tax. I can live with that.
    Last edited by robmorg; 04-02-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK, I took the plunge today on a 2015 RT-S - Black. Wanted red, but black was the only one left in the 2015 model. Gonna play around and get familiar with it. The only thing I'm hating so far is the key - No way to add a key-ring (what's up with that)? I did purchase the maintenance plan, however, I didn't realize that I had to take it to the dealer I purchased it from. Had I known that, I would have just purchased a maintenance plan from a dealer closer to my house; this dealer is 70 miles from me. Oh well, lesson learned. Hope to enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my previous bike. Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice.
    RDW

Spyder Garage

on the new RT-S. You made a great choice.

As for the Maintenance plan, if you bought the BRP B.E.S.T plan, it is administered by BRP and ANY dealer will honor it. It is tied to your serial number, not the dealer who sold it. If you bought some other proprietary plan that can only be used at one dealer, you may want to return that and get your money back during the mandatory period you have to return it. Read the fine print, but do it quickly.

If you have questions about the plan you bought, call BRP Customer service. The number is in your owners manual.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    on the new RT-S. You made a great choice.

As for the Maintenance plan, if you bought the BRP B.E.S.T plan, it is administered by BRP and ANY dealer will honor it. It is tied to your serial number, not the dealer who sold it. If you bought some other proprietary plan that can only be used at one dealer, you may want to return that and get your money back during the mandatory period you have to return it. Read the fine print, but do it quickly.

If you have questions about the plan you bought, call BRP Customer service. The number is in your owners manual.
    Well it's not through BRP and according to the fine print, it's non cancellable. Guess I should have read it before signing it. Oh well, as long as they honor the plan, I suppose I'll live with it. As mentioned before, lessons learned. Thanks
    RDW

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, I took the plunge today on a 2015 RT-S - Black. Wanted red, but black was the only one left in the 2015 model. Gonna play around and get familiar with it. The only thing I'm hating so far is the key - No way to add a key-ring (what's up with that)?

The "Key thing" is really easy to solve...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

After I broke in my 13 RTL, I did my own oil change. Not hard at all. Check YouTube on the way how to do it. I saved a bundle plus doing it myself, I knew it was done correctly. Always the fear that the dealer would screw it up. Then again, its my baby and I take care of my baby.

Spyder Garage

Default Great choice!

I'm looking at the 2014 and 2015 models.
    We've had our 2014RT Limited for over two years and have just over 26,000 miles on it. It's a great bike and the powertrain is strong.

FYI....Tires (on any motorcycle) will wear quicker than car tires if this is your first motorcycle.

Stick with a 2014 or newer and you'll do great. There's probably some great deals out there for clearance on older models......

Best wishes to you on your next bike purchase!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac