Spyder Garage

Default Question to the do it yourself guys

Would a ATV jack for on the Rt.s friend has one for 50 bucks and it brand new never used...sense the the Rt s are only 1100pounds I was asked would this jack work.

Spyder Garage

Yes but.... Don't use the jack only... Once you find the balance point on the frame you can in fact lift the entire spyder level.
    BUT do not work on it that way. After jacking use ramps, jackstands, blocks, or whatever to make it stable.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AND LOOK FOR

....Don't take it for granted the ATV lift can carry the weight of a Spyder.......it must have a RATING plate on it somewhere ..................JMHO.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MOST of the ATV lifts are "only" rated for 1,000 pounds...

I've got one, and I'm no longer using it under the new bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The HF one works fine, the Sears one is the same only with 2 straps to hold them together, of course if the bike goes over you still have a sticky wicket.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

mine jacks up the spyder ok, its one of those red ones, i think its 1500 lbs but would have to check. It has this little bar that is supposed to keep it up if the hydraulics fail or the switch gets flipped accidentally but im not sure i trust it.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Yes, mine can hold 680kgs so can hold the RT, however like Bob suggested use something else to support the spyder once off the ground. I use axail stands. Worked a treat with hooking up the new oil pressure gauge.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I have one I used for motorcycles, but find it useless for oil changes and such on the RT if you leave it underneath as it
    takes up too much room. However, you can block up the wheels after its raised and then remove the jack.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

guys thanks I am on my way to check it out and if its the one that lifts 1500.LBS I am going to take it.. again you guys are great.

Spyder Garage

I use one for my RS. All the ones I checked out before I bought mine were rated at 680kg - 1500lb so well above the weight of a Spyder.

The only issue I had with mine was the handle for the locking mechanism (to stop it dropping if the hydraulics failed) interfered with bodywork so I had to shorten the handle that operated it a bit.

Another thing is that though you jack it up on the frame the top of the jack is very close to the exhaust. If it has a rubber pad on the top like mine this could melt if you were running the bike while you had it jacked up. I just modified mine a bit to prevent this.

My jack came with a couple of ties supposedly to hold the Spyder steady but as others have mentioned I also use blocks etc to make it properly secure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ANY lift with 1,500 pound capacity has plenty of capacity...

It's the 1,000 pound ones, that should probably not be used on the 1330 RTs...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have one of those Harbor Freight lifts. It will pick up the RT OK but when I lower it, it drops way too fast and I don't trust it.

Spyder Garage

Default Okay

I went to check it out and the brand is a sears craftsman. its a 4ton ATV jack. its not new and had been sitting outside .I think I may pass due to it being out side and it looked a little rough. it did work so I am going to bring the RT over to his shop and see if it will lift it safely ..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    I went to check it out and the brand is a sears craftsman. its a 4ton ATV jack. its not new and had been sitting outside .I think I may pass due to it being out side and it looked a little rough. it did work so I am going to bring the RT over to his shop and see if it will lift it safely ..
    I found an old thread(June '14) here a few weeks back and was able to order a Craftsman ATV Lift 1500# model for $79.99 with free shipping. I used it and my old Craftsman Lift, one under each front tire, to change out the swaybar on my '14 RTL.
    So you might want to do a search and see if you can find that thread.