Spyder Garage

Default Check engine light- P0174

I have a question about our 2012 RTL.
    First off I want to say that our dealer and BRP have been very good.
    Now for the history. We bought new from dealer with 62 miles on it in October 2012. First episode with the check engine light/ code P0174- running lean on the right bank was August 2013. Since then there have been numerous episodes. Never a limp home mode. They have changed the O2 sensor, vacuum hoses, purge valve, canister. All these at different times. It w ill reset on it's o w n but does come back. They had it through the winter and went through it and changed all the previous plus some seals. Check engine light back on. Have talked to dealer and he is talking with BRP again. Like I said they have both been great. So they aren't the issue here.
    So now the question- Has anyone else had this chronic issue and if so,were you able to resolve it and how.
    Just thought sometimes you are to close to something to see the solution.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FAULT CODE: P0174

MODULE: ECM (Engine Control Module)

DESCRIPTION: System too lean Bank 2

POSSIBLE CAUSE: Injection and fuel supply system

SERVICE ACTION: Check injector and fuel supply system

Since it says to check the injectors and supply system; I'd start with a good cleaning in there...
    Over storage: something might have gotten gummed-up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    FAULT CODE: P0174

MODULE: ECM (Engine Control Module)

DESCRIPTION: System too lean Bank 2

POSSIBLE CAUSE: Injection and fuel supply system

SERVICE ACTION: Check injector and fuel supply system

Since it says to check the injectors and supply system; I'd start with a good cleaning in there...
    Over storage: something might have gotten gummed-up...
    They have done that. I also use an additive/octane when pure gas is not available.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

I know they had issues with THROTTLE BODIES but Bob says the Code is for ECM so Not sure if they are re-lated ....PM Billy Bovine.......................I would trust Him more than a Dealer Tech ....jmho...Mike

Spyder Garage

Have they checked the rubber mounts that the throttle bodies sit on for a crack?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I know they had issues with THROTTLE BODIES but Bob says the Code is for ECM so Not sure if they are re-lated ....PM Billy Bovine.......................I would trust Him more than a Dealer Tech ....jmho...Mike
    He knows his stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    Have they checked the rubber mounts that the throttle bodies sit on for a crack?
    GREAT catch!!
    They do crack, and that'll cause all sorts of fun with the codes!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hey Mike. FYI, When the module line lists a module, such as ECM, TCM, etc, it simply means that that is the module that is responsible for reporting the code. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem with the module itself.

I like the idea of checking the rubber throttle body boots for cracks. Also, when I put on JT's air filter, I found the clamps on both boots loose. My fading memory is also telling me that somebody else on here awhile back had to have the bank 2 injector replaced to solve their bank 2 lean problem.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Four words.... Map Sensor Vacuum hoses!

Your 2012 is now old enough to have those cracking and leaking now.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default P0174

Quote Originally Posted by SpyFyg-2 View Post
    I have a question about our 2012 RTL.
    First off I want to say that our dealer and BRP have been very good.
    Now for the history. We bought new from dealer with 62 miles on it in October 2012. First episode with the check engine light/ code P0174- running lean on the right bank was August 2013. Since then there have been numerous episodes. Never a limp home mode. They have changed the O2 sensor, vacuum hoses, purge valve, canister. All these at different times. It w ill reset on it's o w n but does come back. They had it through the winter and went through it and changed all the previous plus some seals. Check engine light back on. Have talked to dealer and he is talking with BRP again. Like I said they have both been great. So they aren't the issue here.
    So now the question- Has anyone else had this chronic issue and if so,were you able to resolve it and how.
    Just thought sometimes you are to close to something to see the solution.

Was the problem with the p0174 code fixed? If so what was the solution? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly....

Not too often do folks come back to let us know. It would be nice so it would confirm that what we are suggesting and recommending is actually correct. But seems once it is fixed They are off and running which is a good thing....

Quote Originally Posted by jmbenge View Post
    Was the problem with the p0174 code fixed? If so what was the solution? Thanks
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Off and runnung

Chupaca

Thanks for the reply, my wife and I are new to motorcycles. This is our first spyder and in the 7 weeks we've had it , its been in the shop three times for the p0174 code. So far they have replaced the Evap canister and now they are thinking its a malfunctioning Purge valve. They said they cant find any air leaks anywhere, so crossing our fingers this is the issue. Hoping to do a longer ride this fall, but a little worried about its dependability We do love it though, nothing like the freedom of riding a bikeRide safe!

Spyder Garage

Default P0174

My 2011 RT Limited is in the shop here in Ottawa for this same thing, they called me to say that the hoses are OK, (they should be they replaced them last year) they checked all the stuff that this thread had suggested and are left with the injector, gulp!

I'll let you know when I get it back the results

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

DRTSB

I hope they get it figured out for you. I am still waiting for my dealer to call me, they are waiting on the purge valve. I've been without the bike for a week now The list of things this code can cover is crazy! Let us know how it turns out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Having same issue

I'm experiencing the same thing (Check Engine Light alert - PO174) on my 2011 Spyder RT Ltd. off and on for 8 months. Bike performs ok but flashing light is concerning. Dealer re-set computer. No light, then 3 days later it returned. Changed purge valve. Ok for a week then light came back on. Now I just changed vacuum hoses (today) and so far so good. Hoping this does the trick as I'm going to St. George, Utah rally in two weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Spyder Garage

Default Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by jmbenge View Post
    DRTSB

I hope they get it figured out for you. I am still waiting for my dealer to call me, they are waiting on the purge valve. I've been without the bike for a week now The list of things this code can cover is crazy! Let us know how it turns out.
    So they got back to me, this is what happened:

The check engine light was on as soon as I started the bike
    Dealer tool off exhaust they said there was something on the inside that was loose in the cat or muffler
    they took out the injectors and cleaned and tested them, the problem remained
    they took out the spark plugs, they said they were black, then then changed the o2 senser with a new one, problem is gone.

Dave
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DRTSB View Post
    So they got back to me, this is what happened:

The check engine light was on as soon as I started the bike
    Dealer tool off exhaust they said there was something on the inside that was loose in the cat or muffler
    they took out the injectors and cleaned and tested them, the problem remained
    they took out the spark plugs, they said they were black, then then changed the o2 senser with a new one, problem is gone.

Dave
    So was it spark plugs or O2 sensor? I just put in the vacuum hoses and 20 mi later the light came on again. Dealers made $400+ in parts and labor and light still comes on.

Spyder Garage

Default P0174

Quote Originally Posted by YumaJim View Post
    So was it spark plugs or O2 sensor? I just put in the vacuum hoses and 20 mi later the light came on again. Dealers made $400+ in parts and labor and light still comes on.
    No, the colour of the plugs were black indicating a rich condition, the o2 sensor is telling the computer that its lean when it is actually rich, the bike will run poorly and turn the light on, now the new o2 is giving correct info to the computer and the engine runs much better with no check engine light.

Dave....
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the follow up. Looks like O2 sensor needs to be ordered.

Spyder Garage

Default P0174

Got my bike back Saturday, rode about 80 miles yesterday, so far so good. So far new evap canister a month ago, and purge valve this time. I noticed now after riding it and shutting it off I have a strong fuel smell for about an hour or so, not sure if this is normal or not. They checked for vacuum leaks and said they couldn't find any. If it happens again I'll have oxygen sensor checked. I just wish there was a way to clear the check engine light without having to take it to the dealer. Starting to get a little pricey trying to figure this out. Seems like it is a list of different things for everyone that is dealing with this! Glad I found this site, everyone has been very helpful.