Spyder Garage

Default Ya gotta read this one... my unplanned Fuel Range test!

Many on this forum have wondered aloud how many miles can be squeezed from a full tank of gas on the F3, so I inadvertently performed a test on my F3 for all my riding buddies.
    I fully expect to hear the warranted disparaging remarks from some; the tongue-in-cheek comments from others; and our eponymous member Mr Denman will no doubt assure us that he can squeeze many more miles, given his riding habits (which are, no doubt, true).

I'm sure all that preamble has you salivating to hear the story, so here goes:

Yesterday, after painting the basement stair treads, I decided to take a fairly short ride on "Buster"...taking some unfamiliar roads...trying out my new windshield. I was focused on wind noise, turbulence, smoke-tint vs clear, and enjoying a springtime ride. About 12 miles from home the engine sputtered once...then again...then died! I brilliantly thought: "This isn't good!" Coasting to a place to get off the road, the reading on the fuel gauge made my heart sink, and then I flushed with embarrassment, even though no one but me knew of my dumb*** stunt.
    So here's the data: From a full tank to empty, I rode 223 miles...and that's good information to have! I'm a large man and ride a little aggressively, so this is just a rough idea, particular to my single incident. WHICH WILL NOT BE REPEATED!

Ok, let the comments begin...I can take it.

JB
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Good data point and sounds suspiciously like the way I ride.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Miles per Tank

I have pushed my limit to 212 miles before I gave in and pulled into a station. Good to know I may have a few more miles left over the 212 mark.

Thanks for the info.

3Wheel Bob

Spyder Garage

Hey, we all have at least one regret in our lives. Remember, "Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!"
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I did the test on purpose, but I had a gallon of gas in a saddlebag when I did it. If you travel in areas where fuel stations are few and far between it is a good idea to have that information.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    Many on this forum have wondered aloud how many miles can be squeezed from a full tank of gas on the F3, so I inadvertently performed a test on my F3 for all my riding buddies.
    I fully expect to hear the warranted disparaging remarks from some; the tongue-in-cheek comments from others; and our eponymous member Mr Denman will no doubt assure us that he can squeeze many more miles, given his riding habits (which are, no doubt, true).

I'm sure all that preamble has you salivating to hear the story, so here goes:

Yesterday, after painting the basement stair treads, I decided to take a fairly short ride on "Buster"...taking some unfamiliar roads...trying out my new windshield. I was focused on wind noise, turbulence, smoke-tint vs clear, and enjoying a springtime ride. About 12 miles from home the engine sputtered once...then again...then died! I brilliantly thought: "This isn't good!" Coasting to a place to get off the road, the reading on the fuel gauge made my heart sink, and then I flushed with embarrassment, even though no one but me knew of my dumb*** stunt.
    So here's the data: From a full tank to empty, I rode 223 miles...and that's good information to have! I'm a large man and ride a little aggressively, so this is just a rough idea, particular to my single incident. WHICH WILL NOT BE REPEATED!

Ok, let the comments begin...I can take it.

JB
    http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products...-loop-gas-bag/ - you may want to pack one of these!

Spyder Garage

Very brave of you to confess for the greater good of all!!!!!!!
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Default Wow and I was just about to give you the

award for never ever making a duh mistake in life....but than gratefully you shared your moment for all the Spyderlovers world to see and now we all know that you are just like the rest of us....all is right with the world. And I like that gas mileage. Not to hijack thread but your thoughts on windshield....I'm seriously considering the F3..but pondering what windshield to consider...have been ready reviews. Some state that highway speeds result in much head rattling...aaaaaaa those few brain cells that I have left sure don't want to be "rattled" until my vision blurrs!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Way to go.....

I do this on purpose to see just that. I do carry extra gas with me at all times cause I ryde the roads less traveled and the best you can find is a Taco stand...
    Though I don't devuldge the data cause it is only reference and many will hold you to it.... but you now know how it is in your situation....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing disparaging from me!
    I applaud your efforts in the interest of "Practical Science"...
    Glad to hear that nothing was damaged or bruised; except for a tiny piece of your pride...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

way to take one for the team!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    award for never ever making a duh mistake in life....but than gratefully you shared your moment for all the Spyderlovers world to see and now we all know that you are just like the rest of us....all is right with the world. And I like that gas mileage. Not to hijack thread but your thoughts on windshield....I'm seriously considering the F3..but pondering what windshield to consider...have been ready reviews. Some state that highway speeds result in much head rattling...aaaaaaa those few brain cells that I have left sure don't want to be "rattled" until my vision blurrs!!!
    Thanks for the kind words to let me down gently!
    As for windshields, here's my experience with the F3 windscreens:
    1. stock-no windscreen= too much wind/rain,bugs....not gonna work for me.
    2. BRP Blue Ridge- ordered the kit--not a lot better and (at 6'1"), still too much wind/buffeting for me. (I have that one for sale)
    3. Gustafsson windscreen-ordered the 20" clear and it's wonderful. But thought 2" lower would be good, so found a used smoked one and installed it...a little more wind, but I think it'll work for me....and I can swap the two if needed in about 10 minutes.
    The Gustafsson screen mounts onto the BRP Blue Ridge hardware, so there's no crossbar over the instrument cluster.

Have fun and ride safe!
    jb
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Thanks to all who posted. We do have fun here, even if it's at our own expense sometimes.
    JB
    John B.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    Thanks to all who posted. We do have fun here, even if it's at our own expense sometimes. JB
    But it's more fun, if it's at someone else's!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Great info... We won't tell how u got it lol
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!