Spyder Garage

Default Tri-axis handlebars

I have a 2012 Spyder RT Limited and was wondering how difficult it is to change the handlebars to the adjustable, Tri-axis style? I have seen the YouTube videos and it looks like a real pain as there are 3 18-25 minute videos describing the steps. In everyone's opinion, would it be best to have the dealer do this?? I was thinking of having it done during the down time here in IL, like November, December time frame.....thoughts??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by qwed1 View Post
    I have a 2012 Spyder RT Limited and was wondering how difficult it is to change the handlebars to the adjustable, Tri-axis style? I have seen the YouTube videos and it looks like a real pain as there are 3 18-25 minute videos describing the steps. In everyone's opinion, would it be best to have the dealer do this?? I was thinking of having it done during the down time here in IL, like November, December time frame.....thoughts??

It all comes down to how good a wrench you are. Installing the tri-axis bars are a long process. Removing most of the front end of the bike including upper console. But with the shop manual showing the steps and taking your time, its not particularly difficult or tricky work, just long. I have done 3 sets of them and all three were done without incident. But I have no idea of your abilities so cannot suggest if you SHOULD do it or not.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I just had one installed by the shop, plus a rear tire and rear brake pads...4 1/2 hours labor and worth every penny after seeing all the stuff that had to come off for the bars.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

its a lot of removing the front end and hardware to get to the handlebars. If you don't have time or the skills I would let some else do it.

Spyder Garage

There are times when a "good" dealer can come in handy. The tri-axis bars would be a little to much "wrench" for my liking. It might be possible to negotiate a "special" install price since you are going to drop about $1K on just the bars. There is a high mark up and the dealer is already making a pretty penny. It does not hurt to ask.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Let the dealer do it. I have rebuilt automatic transmissions and transfer cases on trucks and cars and still had the dealer install my tri-axis bars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There are times when a "good" dealer can come in handy. The tri-axis bars would be a little to much "wrench" for my liking. It might be possible to negotiate a "special" install price since you are going to drop about $1K on just the bars. There is a high mark up and the dealer is already making a pretty penny. It does not hurt to ask.
    The MSRP on the black is $659 (or thereabouts) and with some shopping/good dealer relationship you can get up to $100 off. Chrome ones are considerably higher.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think amazon had them cheaper at one time whne I got mine..Like 400 area.

Spyder Garage

I have them are ready on the bike I bought I am an F4 -F16 mechanic and a electronic technician and saw the video it is a PIA

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default tri axis

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    I have them are ready on the bike I bought I am an F4 -F16 mechanic and a electronic technician and saw the video it is a PIA

Dealer, too many possible mistakes that don't end well. Well worth it.

Spyder Garage

I did mine myself... It's not hard just time consuming.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I would say the dealer, but I would also say try a bike with them on first. I got a demo model that had them already installed. Still not sure I would have gone that route if they were not already there.

Spyder Garage

I am in the process of changing out ours, watched Finless's videos and read the install manual, not a real difficult job if one is handy with tools and has some confidence. Kent.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

I did mine but took me 2 weeks to complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I am pretty handy but, when I watched the video on what it took I called my dealer to have it done, dropping it off Wed.
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Bump Skid
    Ultimate Seat
    Air Horn
    Fuze Block
    LED Marker & Brake lights
    Custom Art Work

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does the GPS mount swap to the new triaxis bars or do you have to buy a new one that is only for the triaxis?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    Does the GPS mount swap to the new triaxis bars or do you have to buy a new one that is only for the triaxis?
    New one required. It's mounted with one small screw instead of two long allen head screws

Just installed the Tri-Axis on a friends RT.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doc - Riverside; 05-22-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow..that is another $200.00 on top of the bars....how much farther back towards you will they adjust?