Spyder Garage

Default 2015 rt limited vib or shudder question.

Hi. This is my first post. I test rode a 2015 rt limited demo bike. Had a couple hundred miles on it. Loved the ride. The two things I noticed was It has a bit of body tilt in corners which the BajaRon sway bar should fix. The most concerning thing was around 75-80 MPH it seem to vibrate or shudder quite a bit. Like the drive belt was flapping. Is this normal. I ride Interstate a lot and would be at this speed. Any help would be great.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Take a look at this thread starting at post #7 (belt harmonics). I've got similar, around 3800-4000 RPM and 75-80mph, comes and goes. I'm going to have dealer check belt soon.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Belt harmonics is a known issue on F3's. Last I heard, BRP was looking for a fix. Have not noticed any information saying that the mission has been completed.

Belt harmonics also show up on other versions, but not on every .

I have not experienced the effect on any of the that I owned or ridden. Most people just find a slightly different speed and continue on.

I do know if I had a unit with harmonics, that I would not be a happy camper though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Vibration

I feel the vibration also between 67-72 MPH. Waiting to see if BRP is going to fix the issue. Sponsors have fixes but a little to much for my wallet.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

I just finished installing the Baja Ron bar and the shock adjusters on my 2014 RTL. It made a world of difference. I highly recommend both. My RT also has a belt shudder that comes and goes. I may spring for one of the roller belt tensioners at some point in the future. I'm going to let it break in a little more before I do that. Next on my list is a laser alignment then I'm going to get some seat time on it.

Spyder Garage

I got my demo RT in October of 2015. Had to have them balance the tires as it had a vibration at highway speeds. Noticed it during the test drive, so I got it done before I took it home.

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..

The sway bar and a good alignment will fix that for you. On the vibration you can check to see if it clears up before and after that speed then deal with it. You can have the belt tension checked (F3's have a different belt) and you can also add a belt tensioner...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Mine too!

My 2015 RTL has belt flap at about 73-77 mph. But of course the speed limit on Interstate is 75. My cure is to run 70 or start grinning and run 80! My digital speedometer, analog speedometer and Garmin all show a different speed. I hope that gives me plausible deniability when the officer asks me if I know how fast I was going.
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the vibration on my '14 RTL. After a laser alignment and belt re-adjustment, it pretty much went away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess I don't understand why the belt vibration bugs people so much. For me it accomplishes a few things; it lets me know how fast I'm going and the vibration feels good on my feet when I'm on a long ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT Limited that had a bad vibration at about 70 mph. Having read here that some people found their wheels weren't properly balanced when new, I figured I would need to have mine checked. However, a quick check with a torque wrench proved that none of the front 6 lugs were properly torqued. One was almost finger loose. After properly torquing the nuts to 77 ft/lb. The ride is vastly improved. Still considering a road-force balance though.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    I feel the vibration also between 67-72 MPH. Waiting to see if BRP is going to fix the issue. Sponsors have fixes but a little to much for my wallet.
    What fix do sponsors have.

Spyder Garage

Default vibration

Smoothspyder, see under vendors here, has a belt tensioner that will fix the issue for about $250. I think the vibration is pretty common, my 2015 RT S has it. Maybe one day I will spend the $$ to fix it but for now I have other farkles I want more and I can live with the vibration.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VIBRATION

Quote Originally Posted by RosieriderKY View Post
    Smoothspyder, see under vendors here, has a belt tensioner that will fix the issue for about $250. I think the vibration is pretty common, my 2015 RT S has it. Maybe one day I will spend the $$ to fix it but for now I have other farkles I want more and I can live with the vibration.
    Or try this for ....FREE... loosen the belt, I know it may sound contrary to common wisdom......But I run my belt at about 185 lbs. using the Kritkit ( while tire on ground ) and I don't have any Vibration.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Works on mine....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Or try this for ....FREE... loosen the belt, I know it may sound contrary to common wisdom......But I run my belt at about 185 lbs. using the Kritkit ( while tire on ground ) and I don't have any Vibration.......Mike
    I reduced the tension a smidge (to about 210 using Krikit II) and seems to be better on my 15 Base RT. I still feel the vibration a little from time to time, but I'm good with it. The belt is tracking just where I like it so killed two birds with one stone. However, the wife still feels her RTS vibration and we may be needing to try something more.....
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

So I read some post on the smooth spyder pully and watched a video. Seems like it will fix the shudder. Do most agree here. I need a trike and I do not see anything else like the Spyder out there. I do not like the ride of a traditional trike.

Spyder Garage

Default same issue

is this a warranty issue . Just asking