Spyder Garage

Question Battery Tender installation on F3

Newbie Question. Tomorrow, I'm going to install the Battery Tender plug on to the battery. If I unplug the battery, install to the post and plug the battery back up. Is there anything else needed to do? I don't want the nanny to go all crazy on me or the F3. Will it be okay? Thank you.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don’t remember if I actually "unpluged" it. I think I slipped the battery tender connections on top so I did not completely disengage the battery. I also just fed the battery tender out the back of the frunk and zip tied the connector to the frame. I also use one of these so I can get power to my phone or GPS. I feed the usb cable up through the steering wheel to power the devices. I disconnect when I want to charge the spyder battery using the battery tender. So I use the battery tender cable for a dual purpose. It is fast and cheap solution
    Last edited by Tazzel; 03-22-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

Are there screws that attach to the battery connection to the post? I hope my cord is long enough to go to the handlebars. The service department said the cord wouldn't be long enough, but I think it is.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the USB converter is just that. You can attach a phone usb charging cable to the other end of the converter. My phone charger cable was just long enough but I think you can purchase longer ones.

Spyder Garage

There are screws and I unplugged the whole battery to do that.... I recently installed Lamont's power outlet for the f3 directly to the battery and now use that for the tender... Like it better and I can charge my phones with it as well.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

No issue with disconnecting the battery. You will have to reset the clock.

I placed mine in the frunk. Originally installed it next to the left shock but decided to move it inside the frunk.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND

I strongly advise putting on STAR washers ( the type with the teeth inside the ring )on the battery bolts.......they will never loosen by them selves .........NOT EVER...............and this is something that happens to many and causes a lot of problems that could have been avoided....JMHO.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Clips or rings?

Do you attach your battery tender to your battery with alligator clips, or ring attachments?
    (see attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FragTagger View Post
    Do you attach your battery tender to your battery with alligator clips, or ring attachments?
    (see attached)
    Old post, but, certainly use the ring attachments with a star locking washer.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue