Spyder Garage

Default Towing storage question

I have a open trailer that I am planning on using to tow my Spyder RT, then park it and go riding.

Biking thru nice areas (maybe a week or two), towing across empty miles.

My question is to those who may travel like this - if I leave my vehicle and trailer, have you found any places generally safe to park the vehicle.

I think I would be paying for short term storage, so any storage shed park that has a fence, or KOA camp grounds etc.

Spyder Garage

Default storage

You might let folks know where you need the storage. When I know folks are going to be in my area I offer to let them store their trailer on my property. I've got a couple acres in the sticks with little or no security problems so there is no problem with vandals. If there is I have a backhoe.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

There are no end to mini storages throughout the country. Depending on where you are going you should be able to find one and many camp grounds have areas for trailers....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Many private campgrounds and RV parks have a short term storage area to park trailers. They make convenient "base camps" from which you can ride locally before heading to another area.

Traveling to BC (Canada) last year it was prohibitively expensive to spend $300 one way for a ferry crossing with our 35ft toy hauler, so we left it at an RV park on the mainland and traveled via Spyder to Vancouver Island for a week.

Likewise, there were no RV parks anywhere close to DC so we left the rig at one in Winchester and stayed at a nice B&B on a farm near Leesburg and rode in to visit family.
    Last edited by asp125; 03-23-2016 at 09:39 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Many private campgrounds and RV parks have a short term storage area to park trailers. They make convenient "base camps" from which you can ride locally before heading to another area.

Traveling to BC (Canada) last year it was prohibitively expensive to spend $300 one way for a ferry crossing with our 35ft toy hauler, so we left it at an RV park on the mainland and traveled via Spyder to Vancouver Island for a week.

Likewise, there were no RV parks anywhere close to DC so we left the rig at one in Winchester and stayed at a nice B&B on a farm near Leesburg and rode into visit family.
    My son lives in Centerville, VA. Comming from Indiana, I always thought the drive down from PA, thru Leesburg would be a nice bike ride.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    ...Likewise, there were no RV parks anywhere close to DC so we left the rig at one in Winchester and stayed at a nice B&B on a farm near Leesburg and rode into visit family.
    You missed a great campground very close to DC at https://www.cherryhillpark.com/

We stayed there a few months when working as a contractor in the area.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I've done this twice with my Sprinter and enclosed trailer. I looked for a secured (fenced) storage facility. A little Google work for my target cities found me some options. A few phone calls and I had them.
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

When my wife travels with me we trailer to where we are going to ride. So far the motels we have stayed at have been willing to let us park in their lot and kind of keep an eye on the trailer/tow vehicle.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze