Spyder Garage

Default RT Stock seat backrest - Adjustable or not?

I'm looking to get a backrest for my 2015 RT-S stock seat.

In my new Can Am mailer, I see that there are two different ones for the RT Stock seat.

Driver Backrest for Production Seat - Charcoal Grey
    Part number: 219400481

vs.

Adjustable Driver Backrest for production seat
    Part number: 219400679

It's not clear to me exactly what the difference is between the two, other than one says "Adjustable".

I'm leaning toward the Adjustable backrest -- Is there any reason to get the 219400481 seat?

Thanks!

-Fratz

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BACKREST FOR RT

IMHO the " Utopia " at about half the price of the OEM is actually more adjustable, more comfortable, and gives the passenger more room......Can be put on in about 15 minutes.................Mike

Spyder Garage

As I read my new 2016 catalog on page 85 I don't believe you have any option, you must get the 219400481 backrest and then suffer the expense of getting the adjustable backrest support, PN 219400682 to replace the OEM nonadjustable support. How you get that replacement support into the backrest I have no idea.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO the " Utopia " at about half the price of the OEM is actually more adjustable, more comfortable, and gives the passenger more room......Can be put on in about 15 minutes.................Mike
    Im with Mike, get the Utopia or even the show chrome one.

http://www.utpr.com/spyderrt.html

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-Ac...er+rt+backrest
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

I'm with the other guys, my Utopia was easy to install and is very comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Default Differences in items

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post

In my new Can Am mailer, I see that there are two different ones for the RT Stock seat.

vs.

It's not clear to me exactly what the difference is between the two, other than one says "Adjustable".

I'm leaning toward the Adjustable backrest -- Is there any reason to get the 219400481 seat?

Thanks!

-Fratz

Fratz the first part number you put down is the actual backrest that goes on the stock production seat for the driver. This backrest is not adjustable in any manner. It drops into the seat and locks in place with the included bracket that you install under the seat. Its a pretty easy install and the backrest is pretty comfortable. The adjustable piece you reference is a replacement part that you add to the backrest above and it allows the seat cushion angle to be adjusted forward and backward giving a lot more range for different individual preferences.

I have the backrest above and I just this winter added the adjustable feature. I liked the backrest prior to adding the adjust-ability so I am hoping that i REALLY like it now that I can adjust the ride for me.
    There are less expensive backrests, as many have pointed out, but I like the Can Am one that I have and wouldn't hesitate recommending it to someone.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Utopia Back Rest

Fratz, I just installed the Utopia back rest this past Sunday. I had the original Spyder rest and I didn't care for it. The Utopia IMHO IS FAR BETTER THAN THE STOCK APPLICATION.... The adjustability is the reason for this.

Spyder Garage

Does the Utopia or Show chrome backrests fit through the 2015 RT seats with the hole already there? Or do you still have to cut a new slot for them in a different place?

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!

I'm going with the Utopia backrest. I just can't justify the over 2x price of the Can-Am one.

-Fratz

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AFTERMARKET BACKREST

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    Does the Utopia or Show chrome backrests fit through the 2015 RT seats with the hole already there? Or do you still have to cut a new slot for them in a different place?
    I can't speak for the Show Chrome......But the Utopia attachment bracket that goes on the seat pan is made just like the OEM bracket...it bolts the same way......You do need to trim the seat plug, they give you a pattern.....Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post

vs.

Thanks!

-Fratz

i just put on a stock back rest (450). It folds down so passenger can get on and there is a little front to back adjustment. To do over I would get the Utopia. Anyone want to buy a stock back rest?

Spyder Garage

Default Before you give up on stock backrest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82009 View Post
    i just put on a stock back rest (450). It folds down so passenger can get on and there is a little front to back adjustment. To do over I would get the Utopia. Anyone want to buy a stock back rest?
    Just a thought, you might like the brp backrest a bit more with the addition of the adjustment feature. It's only another $79 investment....so far it has made mine more comfortable.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

FYI, I received my Utopia backrest today, and have it installed already.

I was a little concerned with installing it, as I'm not all that mechanically inclined, however it was really, really easy to install on my RT-S.

I didn't have to remove the seat or anything, and it went on in about 45 minutes. (most of the time was spent with cutting the plastic cover, as I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and just had to use my dremmel to clean it up and make it look nice.

The fit and finish is excellent, as is the communication from Bob @ Utopia. It shipped a couple of days early, and I watched it cross the country via UPS

I'm really, really happy with it. I spent a few minutes adjusting it to my style, and it's great.

And, with the money that I saved from the BRP seat, bought a FOBO TPMS, but that's another story...

Thanks everyone for your advice and info.

-Fratz