Thread: Micron Pipe

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Micron Pipe

Got my pipe in today from NMN....No matter how hard I tighten down the clamp (under the bike) connecting the 90 it just slids right off. This is not my first time putting on a pipe and this is a no go. besides falling off I will be sucking in all sorts of air......I no a few of you have bought from them. Any thoughts? and what's with the back full off extra springs, washer etc.

Thanks

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

The 90* requires the gasket from the stock pipe. Look inside the stock pipe connection (that you removed) for the "slip joint gasket".

The extra parts in the bag are probably for other bikes.. the Micron is generic... not just for the Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by palehorsevt View Post
    Got my pipe in today from NMN....No matter how hard I tighten down the clamp (under the bike) connecting the 90 it just slids right off. This is not my first time putting on a pipe and this is a no go. besides falling off I will be sucking in all sorts of air......I no a few of you have bought from them. Any thoughts? and what's with the back full off extra springs, washer etc.

Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    The 90* requires the gasket from the stock pipe. Look inside the stock pipe connection (that you removed) for the "slip joint gasket".

The extra parts in the bag are probably for other bikes.. the Micron is generic... not just for the Spyder.

Got the gasket in place, short of taking an air wrench to her there is no way she iss going to seal. Got it as tight as I could, started it and big air leak not to mention abit of water from the second clamp going into the can itself..

Spyder Garage

Got the gasket in place, short of taking an air wrench to her there is no way she iss going to seal. Got it as tight as I could, started it and big air leak not to mention abit of water from the second clamp going into the can itself..
    There should not be a leak at the lower clamp so somethings not quite right there?

However the small dew drops you get from the Micron inlet seem is normal for a Micron can, or any can that has a seem there as the exhause will follow this out and when the motor is cold make this dew drop there.

Did you use a new gasket when you installed the pipe?

MM

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    There should not be a leak at the lower clamp so somethings not quite right there?

However the small dew drops you get from the Micron inlet seem is normal for a Micron can, or any can that has a seem there as the exhause will follow this out and when the motor is cold make this dew drop there.

Did you use a new gasket when you installed the pipe?

MM
    No i only have 15 miles on bike so the gasket was good. I put the end of the 90 right over the gasket...Should be a no brainer. Slid 90 over gasket and tighten. Feels almost as if the 90 is too big. Gonna let it sit for a minute and see what i am missing....

Spyder Garage

No i only have 15 miles on bike so the gasket was good. I put the end of the 90 right over the gasket...Should be a no brainer. Slid 90 over gasket and tighten. Feels almost as if the 90 is too big. Gonna let it sit for a minute and see what i am missing....

If the gasket was good then it should have snug down no problem?

However these pipes do not clamp so tight that they will not be able to be moved up and down as the mica gasket acts as a slider and inasmuch will always allow the pipe to move up and down. To help with this BRP decided to use a spring there as well. Although these pipes will not come off when the can is in place (Lamonster has almost 20,000 miles on his pipe)it may not give the "no movement" feel you are thinking should be there?

But there should not be a exhaust leak there so something is not right ig gasses are leaking out in any real amounts?

Also be sure the clamp is on the portion of the pipe that has the slits in it, as the slits do not go all the way back, and it won't clamp on a part of the pipe that has no slits.

If this don't work send me the pipe and I'll check it for measurement and fit on the jig mounted inlet we have here. If it's not right I'll get you a new unit.

MM

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Scratching my head on this one. I can tighten the clamp fully and still slide the 90 off. Have tried the pipe on the gasket different ways Unless I am really missing something the throat of the 90 seems too big. Did they change something on the 09's? Going to have to take the bike in for a pipe, that's embarrassing....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If the gasket was good then it should have snug down no problem?

However these pipes do not clamp so tight that they will not be able to be moved up and down as the mica gasket acts as a slider and inasmuch will always allow the pipe to move up and down. To help with this BRP decided to use a spring there as well. Although these pipes will not come off when the can is in place (Lamonster has almost 20,000 miles on his pipe)it may not give the "no movement" feel you are thinking should be there?

But there should not be a exhaust leak there so something is not right ig gasses are leaking out in any real amounts?

Also be sure the clamp is on the portion of the pipe that has the slits in it, as the slits do not go all the way back, and it won't clamp on a part of the pipe that has no slits.

If this don't work send me the pipe and I'll check it for measurement and fit on the jig mounted inlet we have here. If it's not right I'll get you a new unit.

MM
    Got it snugged down on the gasket but still have the leak. i understand it has some movement but with the leak I'm worried about my valves etc.

I'm clamped on the portion with slits as I knew there would be no movement if I didn't...

It has to go into the dealers for some things so I will have them take a look at it. If they have a problem i will send it back to you to check on the jig.

Thanks.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

One last thing... if you have calipers to measure with... the OD of the collector pipe on the bike should be 2 5/8". The ID of NMN's pipe should be 2 7/8". The gasket itself should be 1/8" thick.

Got it snugged down on the gasket but still have the leak. i understand it has some movement but with the leak I'm worried about my valves etc.

I'm clamped on the portion with slits as I knew there would be no movement if I didn't...

It has to go into the dealers for some things so I will have them take a look at it. If they have a problem i will send it back to you to check on the jig.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Another thing that might be easy to check is to slide the NMN 90 off and stick it up to the stock exhaust that you removed. Compare end to end and one on top of the other. Does it look like the NMN 90 inlet is bigger than the stock exhaust inlet? Also, if you can slide the gasket off the Spyders Y pipe, it should fit fairly snuggly inside the NMN 90 inlet, the same as it should fit inside the stock exhaust inlet. This way you can verify if the NMN 90 is wildly out of spec or not.

Spyder Garage

This is not that hard to do, nor should it be.

We have hundredes of these pipes on Spyders, none of which have had these problems.

I think you bought you pipe from a dealer not us direct, correct?

But it will be easier and quicker to just send it here and we'll get it figured out for you.

Sometimes getting an eyeball on things like this make it much easier for me to see what's going on.

Get it back here and we'll get you set up with a different unit while we see just what is what with this one?

MM

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is not that hard to do, nor should it be.

We have hundredes of these pipes on Spyders, none of which have had these problems.

I think you bought you pipe from a dealer not us direct, correct?

But it will be easier and quicker to just send it here and we'll get it figured out for you.

Sometimes getting an eyeball on things like this make it much easier for me to see what's going on.

Get it back here and we'll get you set up with a different unit while we see just what is what with this one?

MM
    Hi Sir,

I bought the whole package from you. I am going to take a fresh look at it today and see what is going on. Probably on this side but if I still have troubles I'll send it back for you to check.

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Hi Sir,

I bought the whole package from you. I am going to take a fresh look at it today and see what is going on. Probably on this side but if I still have troubles I'll send it back for you to check.

Thank you

Cool! We'll get it straight for you one way or another, whatever it takes.

MM

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool! We'll get it straight for you one way or another, whatever it takes.

MM
    Hi Sir. I have got the everything tightened down but it still has a bit of a leak. ALmost seems as if gasket sealer is needed. I guess I'll send the 90 back you so you can double check. I've wrenched on lots of bikes so this should be a no brainer. What in the heck am I missing?

I'm making sure the gasket is lined up with the end, where the slits are.
    I'm lining the clamp up with them and making sure everything is and stays in place....

Spyder Garage

Got me too?

We'll send you a new pipe and fresh gasket, that should take care of it for you.

Mm

Spyder Garage

Got me too?

We'll send you a new pipe and fresh gasket, that should take care of it for you.

Mm

Now THAT'S A1+ customer service!! I'm proud of you Evan (As I know every one is)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Now THAT'S A1+ customer service!! I'm proud of you Evan (As I know every one is)

This man has been nothing but a gentleman from the start. I'm sure it is probably something I am doing wrong, just missing something. I'll pull it apart and look at things. BY ALL MEANS is it not a quality issue as the pipe is sweet just murphy"s law.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Sir,

Truly stand up, thank you. I just have to be missing something. i am going to take apart, sit back and see what I am missing. Thank you for the offer to send a new pipe and gasket. I'll make another attempt here and if still having trouble i'll take you up on the offer......I still have the new gasket as the "old" one only had 15 miles on it.

Pretty sure on my side so no worries, we will get it straight..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Got me too?

Mm
    Very strange....Slipped the new gasket on the bike up to the "round" deal.
    Matched the head of the 90 and clamp so all where "stacked" on eachother.
    Tightened down, double checked everything in place, still have slight leak.
    Clamp is tight, tight.....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The gasket must be all the way inside the 90 degree pipe to the ends of those relief cuts.

To ensure this during installation, the gasket goes in the end of the 90 degree pipe before slipping it over the Spyder's exhaust header. That way, when pushing the 90 degree pipe onto the exhaust header you will force the gasket all the way inside the pipe to the ends of the relief cuts. If you put the gasket on the exhaust header first (the easiest way to install it), the 90 degree pipe will force it all the way onto the header instead of inside the 90 degree pipe.

Is this right? I have the gasket on the header not all the way down the 90. Thanks?

Spyder Garage

The gasket must be all the way inside the 90 degree pipe to the ends of those relief cuts.

To ensure this during installation, the gasket goes in the end of the 90 degree pipe before slipping it over the Spyder's exhaust header. That way, when pushing the 90 degree pipe onto the exhaust header you will force the gasket all the way inside the pipe to the ends of the relief cuts. If you put the gasket on the exhaust header first (the easiest way to install it), the 90 degree pipe will force it all the way onto the header instead of inside the 90 degree pipe.

Is this right? I have the gasket on the header not all the way down the 90. Thanks?

Call me I'm at the shop looking into this I think I found your problem.

MM

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Call me I'm at the shop looking into this I think I found your problem.

MM

Sir sorry about the phone line. Some reason been getting bad connections out here. It has to be the relief cuts becuase I can not get the 90 to clamp at all. Sliding the gasket to the bottom of the 90 leaves mw with tons of room. It really does seem that the pipe is just abit to big..

So my understanding is correct after getting the new 90, with the proper relief cuts, i position the gasket at the bottom of the 90 and then slide it on to the header. The gasket will be behind the relief cuts and I just tighten metal to metal.......

Again the 90 seems too big and being in a chair I really need "plug and play". Getting out of my chair onto the floor and back, numerous times, really is a pain.

Already missed the mail today and will be gone next week....I may just send it all back to you and eat the 20% restocking fee. If this is the beginning of my spyder experience WOW fun here i come.

Spyder Garage

Sir sorry about the phone line. Some reason been getting bad connections out here. It has to be the relief cuts becuase I can not get the 90 to clamp at all. Sliding the gasket to the bottom of the 90 leaves mw with tons of room. It really does seem that the pipe is just abit to big..

So my understanding is correct after getting the new 90, with the proper relief cuts, i position the gasket at the bottom of the 90 and then slide it on to the header. The gasket will be behind the relief cuts and I just tighten metal to metal.......

Again the 90 seems too big and being in a chair I really need "plug and play". Getting out of my chair onto the floor and back, numerous times, really is a pain.

Already missed the mail today and will be gone next week....I may just send it all back to you and eat the 20% restocking fee. If this is the beginning of my spyder experience WOW fun here i come.

I would like to tell you our workers are 100% dead on all the time,but that would be a lie as they are human just the same as you and me.

After your call I am sure you have a pipe that has the cuts too short. I went throught all our stock today and found another short one too.

If it moved in the jig then when the uit was getting the relief cuts made then their did not get cut deep enough and I'm sure that is what is giving you such fits.

You can send it back if you'd like no problem.

However, we have many, many of these already out there and when the it is as it is suposed to be, they work very well indeed. This is not a new product, we have made this part for almost a year now.

We're sorry you had to get the one the QC did not catch, but we'll try our best to get you all set witha new unit ASAP. You can send me a PM with your address and have our shipping dept send your pipe out overnight first thing on Monday, and you should see it on Tuesday.

Again we're sorry for the inconvenience, I know how much it sucks when you want to install a new item and things like this happen.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 02-22-2009 at 05:49 AM.