Spyder Garage

Default new heat problem 2014 RTS

Last Saturday I went for a ride and over heated in traffic wait for signal light. it happened 3 times. the outdoor temp was about 70. the fans came on and after about 1 min. temp shot up to top of gauge. As soon as I started moving it dropped right back. checked the water reservoir, which was low. topped it off and it still happened. The fans are blowing properly, there doesn't seem to be anything blocking radiator. looked again yesterday. no loss of reservoir level. started and let idle on driveway. was OK for about 10 min, then shot up quickly.
    this is new. last year I was in 100 degree weather, heavy traffic, and no heat problems. not sure what to look at, any ideas?
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a new one... how often do they suggest changing the coolant?
    Other than that: I got nuthin'.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

sounds like a stuck t-stat to me. providing these bikes have t-stats.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OVER-HEATING

OMG-..Mike ....................MAYBE YOU READ WHAT I POSTED MAYBE NOT, BUT NOW IT'S GONE.................and I won't bother answering any more of your questions.
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-21-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Same thing happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Princeau99 View Post
    Last Saturday I went for a ride and over heated in traffic wait for signal light. it happened 3 times. the outdoor temp was about 70. the fans came on and after about 1 min. temp shot up to top of gauge. As soon as I started moving it dropped right back. checked the water reservoir, which was low. topped it off and it still happened. The fans are blowing properly, there doesn't seem to be anything blocking radiator. looked again yesterday. no loss of reservoir level. started and let idle on driveway. was OK for about 10 min, then shot up quickly.
    this is new. last year I was in 100 degree weather, heavy traffic, and no heat problems. not sure what to look at, any ideas?
    Same thing happened to me. The dealer found the problem and power washed both radiators--they were filled with bugs--it was hard to see. Problem solved.

Spyder Garage

Default hot topic!

Quote Originally Posted by graysan View Post
    Same thing happened to me. The dealer found the problem and power washed both radiators--they were filled with bugs--it was hard to see. Problem solved.
    Time to debug! Be careful with the power washer! I would try it first with a garden hose, from the inside out! Hope you can solve the problem soon! (Ps) if you are under warranty, let the dealer take care of it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is a new one... how often do they suggest changing the coolant?
    Other than that: I got nuthin'.
    i need to check on this. had the 3000 mile service about 1 month ago. not sure if the coolant was changed.
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by graysan View Post
    hope this is the problem. otherwise this has been problem free.
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

The radiators do suck bugs big time. When I had my dog incident, the whole front had to come off. The radiators were both covered with bugs.

I quickly installed KOTT radiator grills--which have helped some.

That is the first place I would look.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default overheating

Antifreeze replaces every two years
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I agree with the others who cautioned power washing. That's a quickie way for a dealer possibly at the expense of the radiators or other parts. I also agree with akspyderman's recommendation on the KOTT Grilles, my second farkle after bump skid, from SpyderPops. 13,500 on my Spyder and one bug has made it past the grilles and that includes the buggy trip to and from Spyderfest last year.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not buying the bug theory...I just don't see bugs being able to block airflow to 2 radiators allowing overheat at idle in the 70 degree weather with the fan running. That would be an alarming amount of bugs....not likely. A plastic bag, maybe...

I'd be more inclined to believe a thermostat that stuck closed at idle and then opened up once the rpms came up, and the coolant flow increased once underway helping it open fully.

Also, be super careful installing screens and junk in front of the radiators as they DO limit airflow too.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Bugs!

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The radiators do suck bugs big time. When I had my dog incident, the whole front had to come off. The radiators were both covered with bugs.

I quickly installed KOTT radiator grills--which have helped some.

That is the first place I would look.
    Isn't that what spiders do best? Catch bugs?

Spyder Garage

Default Bugs

Heading west thru Kansas into Colorado in September of 2015, bugs were bad. I'm sure there are some out there worse than mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2014 RT S Cognac
    Spyderpops skidplate and belt guard. Squared Away Alignment. Bajaron Sway Bar. Show Chrome Smart Mount Large Backrest. BRP Adjustable Air Deflectors. Hopnel net and saddle bag liners. Lamonster NBV Highway Bracket - Trident Large Foot Peg. Rivco Cup Holder Mount & Kruzer Kaddy Kustom Kaddy Drink Holder - Leather. Tricled saddlebag, fender side & rear, 3rd & 4th brake light, and mirror turn signal LED's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Check actual temp

Get the temperature checked with a infrared thermometer first to make sure its actually hot and not a gauge problem...Then go from there...larryd