Spyder Garage

Default Which model should I consider?

I apologize for such a rookie question, but I'm just starting to shop for a used Spyder, and the different models, RT, etc. are a little confusing. I'm 65, and although I don't anticipate any rides over a few hours, I'm interested in comfort instead of sport/performance. I won't need storage or a comfy passenger seat, but I do want a comfortable riding position. I'm flexible on a manual or automatic transmission. What model should I be looking for? Thank you, Jack.

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish I could comment on all the models, but the only one I've ever ridden is the RT, which is what I own. I'm going on 67 and after nearly 40 years of riding motorcycles have resigned myself to comfort as opposed to speed and style. The RT is quite comfortable for me, and in fact I often feel like I'm riding a lazy-boy recliner down the road.

I'm sure others will chime in with comments about the other models, but I think the RT would be best for you.

Pam

Spyder Garage

I'd suggest going by a dealer and set on the different models. Just see what fits. I am your age and the RT is right for me. I like the seating position.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

If you are a little more adventurous, consider something that will tap that energy. I ride an STL, but take a look at the F3. Your dealer can set it up to fit you for comfort. If you are only doing day trips, or even an occasional over nighter, the F3 Limited would look great on you and make you feel like a teenager. OK, maybe a 30 something. Have some fun...enjoy the ride.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Is the ST riding position the same as the RT? If so, that would be good - comfort without the unnecessary storage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I wish I could comment on all the models, but the only one I've ever ridden is the RT, which is what I own. I'm going on 67 and after nearly 40 years of riding motorcycles have resigned myself to comfort as opposed to speed and style. The RT is quite comfortable for me, and in fact I often feel like I'm riding a lazy-boy recliner down the road.

I'm sure others will chime in with comments about the other models, but I think the RT would be best for you.

Pam

, The RT sounds like it is suited for you and vice versa.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

One does not find the answer until they go to a dealer and test sit and better yet, test drive.

You are sounding like an RT person to me, based on comfort mentioned above.

The RS, ST, and F3 models all offer less comfort and bells & whistles than the RT. I am on my third RT but have two in the garage. One the 998 two cylinder, and the other the 1330 three cylinder. I like the 1330 the best.

Manual vs. semi auto. I drove two wheelers way back into the 1960's. My first was a manual (all that was available). All my others have been the semi auto. I don't miss the clutch at all.

Let us know how it works out for you on your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The ST seating position is a little more 'aggressive' than the RT, if that's the right word - there's a pic around showing a comparison of the various angles of knees, arms, back etc which might explain it better (can anyone/someone who's got it post it up or link it please?) I've been lucky enough to spend some time riding all the Spyders (except the latest 2016 F3's), so if you are interested in my take on them, read on!

Basically the RT is the comfort based upright armchair type tourer with std features that make it the ideal 2-up tourer while still being a great solo ride; altho if you aren't too much over 6ft tall & you get the RT with foot plates instead of pegs, you can move your feet around readily on the plates from tucked right back & crouched a bit for spirited riding right thru to having your feet a little forwards & relaxed, plus with the addition of highway pegs, you might even be able to get into the feet-up recliner position, altho with all those the handle-bars & their position does come into play! Riding one of these can as relaxed & gentle as you like, altho always with more of an upper body involvement than you'd get on a 2-wheeler; but if you want you can exert yourself a little more & put more upper body 'english' into it so you can ride them quite spiritedly, using more effort & pressure from your inside arm to pull on the handle bar & more outside leg pushing on the footplate to get your weight right across & down behind the inside mirror so that they will corner like a rocket sled on rails, but it's always going to have a higher CoG & more static weight than the others to punt around.

The ST has a little more of an upright but still semi-sporty seating position & it has the ready option of panniers/saddlebags & back cases etc, so it can be a comfortable solo or 2-up tourer while still being a bit more sporty than the RT if you want it to do that - and of course, without all the extra tupperware on the rear, it's noticeably lighter & rides a tad quicker plus responds & performs accordingly (unless you option it up to the hilt & add back all the extra weight!) Riding generally entails that same level of upper body involvement as they all do, and these are always going to need a little more outside leg work for spirited riding, but they can be as gentle or as much of a work out as you like or are prepared/capable of!

The RS is a touch lower overall, & is aimed much more towards those who like the solo sporty part-crouched seating position with a pillion seat that will take a passenger in that 'sit-up & beg' position many sports bikes have. They don't have quite the options or std fittings the RT & ST's can have, but of course there are aftermarket options that will bring them up to much the same level of appointment if you'd like all that to go with the sporting part-crouched riding posture. They are the most 'aggressively sporty' Spyders in the line up, and can take a tad more to ride than the others as a result; altho they still can be ridden gently if you like to do that with the more sporty riding position, it's just a lot easier to push a little harder & ride them more spiritedly (don't forget you've got someone perched on that pillion seat tho - altho it'd be pretty hard not to notice them up there, unlike on the RT & the ST).

The F3's, at least those that aren't the 2016 F3-T or F3 Ltd's anyway, are really aimed at the solo Cruiser market with an almost grudgingly provided pillion seat; so all F3's have the feet forward & low seating position that most Cruisers have - and that means that instead of having the mainly upper body involvement in riding that all the other Spyders entail, the F3's generally take an 'all of your body' effort & riding experience. Being seated lower & so that you are always sorta pulling on those bars while still having your feet & legs extended, you pretty much need to involve more lower body & leg work in the ride to do anything much more than toddling around the place or boulevard cruising, and honestly, the F3 almost demands that you give it a bit of stick every now & then! Add to that the U-fit options that range from the forward crouched Attitude or shorter handle bars thru to the fully laid back & longer handle bars, if you like the low feet forward seating style of riding you will almost certainly be able to set it up to suit your preferences. The 2016 F3-T & Ltd's add more luggage space & better pillion seating plus some changes to the rear swing arm to ease the option of towing, so they look like they might be a reasonably comfortable 'Cruiser style Tourer' while still giving you the same basic riding experience that all the other F3's entail.

All that said, riding ANY of the Spyder's in the range is likely to be a great experience that is close to but slightly different to that of riding a 2 wheeled motorcycle, the saying you see here often is 'More miles of Smiles' & it's really pretty much true!! Whatever riding style you have or want - gentle & laid back; fast & sporty; and anything in between, there's a Spyder to suit you! And once you start adding the 'farkles' to make it better suit you or just to show everyone it's yours & it's unique, the smiles only grow bigger!!

Of course, YMMV, but for what it's worth....

Spyder Garage

Wow! Thanks for the detailed information. Jack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ergonomics??

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as just picking the picture that looks the most "comfortable".
    Your choices also include engines, windshield height options, cargo capacity, etc...
    Check out a dealer, and wear your riding pants!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob hit the nail on the head, great answer. As much as I like my RT, I do believe that IF I decide to replace it, I'm going to look at the adjustability of the F3, especially since they have come out with the touring version. Some one said go to the dealer and look at what is available, that too is a good answer, but try to find a dealer that has all of the models in stock. If you tell us where you are located, maybe one of us could suggest a dealer, as some dealers are much better than others.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

tough one..being an RS ryder that is what I would ryde. The best advice is the one given to test ryde them at a dealer and then do your serch. All our opinions are good ones but many are what we like and what we are comfortable with. I can do 800 miles on my RS and others can't do 20 miles. Do the test ryde or at least jump up and down on the different models.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 STL and I am not comfy on long rides. But seems to slide forward. Have a F3 Touring ordered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's seating position & storage to consider, but also the engines. I highly recommend going with the 1330 triple, which means either the RT or F3.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the valuable information.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ST although it looks close in the diagram is not as comfortable as the RT. Keep in mind those lean angles vary a little depending on your height. The F3 is cool and looks cool, allows you to move pegs and bars which is great for comfort but has no extras at all unless you get up to the top model which is as much as an RT. If you are taking passengers at least 50% of the time its RT no question about it. I have a regular motorcycle i ride alone so i almost always have a passenger when on my spyder and the RT is a world of comfort compared to the RS i had originally.

Spyder Garage

I bought a used 2010 RS because it was in my budget and was expecting the wife to drive it more since it replaced her ninja. It came with touring windshield and adjustable handlebars. I added a BRP comfort seat and Madstad adjustable windshield. It is probably not quite RT comfortable but it probably handles a little better.

I preferred the ST but wife didn't like them as much for some reason. Think she wasn't ready to give up the "sport" coming from a ninja.

We test drove a RT and I rode as passenger. It is definitely comfortable. Wife wasn't quite ready to go that far touring but now that she only rides as a passenger, we'll probably trade up in a few years.

I really like the F3 a whole lot more than I expected since I prefer sport/standard/streetfighter motorcycles to cruisers. Less storage but with the radiator and oil cooler up front, there is no hot/burning air on the legs. The seat was super comfortable and pegs/floorboards are adjustable. Throttle response was smoother with better from stop acceleration (no lunging). Larger engine is smoother. 6th gear would be nice on the highway. I didn't care for the F3 Touring windshield but I am picky about noise/buffeting.

You said storage was not a concern but I am spoiled now. I can fit my boots, 2 jackets, com units, and 1 full face helmet in the frunk. That also allows me to bring along my running shoes for walking around and store sunblock and hat for the FL sunshine.
    On the F3 Touring, there is no place for a full size helmet so that was a real bummer.

Can Am does a lot of demo rides so I would recommend getting some seat time. They are always helpful and enjoy answering questions without all the sales pressure.

If you are looking to buy new, they have 0% on a lot of the 2015 models.

Spyder Garage

Will keep it simple

F3 Comfortable riding position absolutely no storage

Spyder Garage

Having owned 1 of every model since the first 2008 GS I really like my new 2016 F3T Limited Special Series. It did take a bit to get use to the forward controls though.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Chupaca hit the bulls-eye. Test ride as many models as you can and decide. You can also push an RT hard but push it too far and Nanny will squawk.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I rode all of the models at bike week with the exception of the RS (sat on before, don't care for the position). I really liked all of them. If I had to pick one based solely on position, the new F3 had it.

I ended up with a new 2013 RT limited, which I love! Good luck and have fun choosing!