Thread: F3 or RT

Spyder Garage

Default F3 or RT

Good afternoon All,

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I now own a 2013 RTS, and looking at the possibility of trading for an F3T.

Any pros and cons.

Thanks

Dom

Spyder Garage

I have had both an RT and a F-3T. The F-3 has 1/2 of the storage capacity of the RT. Other than this, everything else favors the F-3. In my opinion, the F-3 is the best motorcycle BRP has made in modern times. The improvements are very impressive. For touring, I prefer to pull a trailer. This gives me all of the storage I need. In the past eight years, I have owned five new Spyders. The F-3T is my favorite.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Hi Dom. I'm brand new to Spyders, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I was all set to buy the F3-T when I went to the dealer in January to see the various Spyders in person. Turned out the Ts were too new to have been delivered even to this huge dealership, and they only had one RT assembled and on the floor. However, my decision to go with the RT was due to 1) the added storage as I plan to weekly grocery shop and even strap the occasional bag of horse feed onto the passenger seat, 2) the heated grips were included, and, probably most importantly, 3) I didn't like the forward position of the footpegs or board. I've been riding horses for 6 decades, and "leaners" for more than 4 decades, and I simply don't feel balanced with my feet out in front of me.

As I say, you're far more experienced with the RT than I am, but FWIW, those were my deciding factors.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm, how'd my smiley face end up in my title space? I was experimenting with inserting my first ever icon. Oh, and I see it's not even the same icon.
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 03-20-2016 at 07:30 PM.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

My wife loves the RT for the passenger comfort and storage. We also pull a 622 trailer for longer touring. If I were younger the F3 would be cool but I am very happy with an RT. This is my 2nd one and the 1330 triple se6 is great.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What type of riding will you be doing?
    Will you be riding solo, or two-up?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the thing you have to consider are you just doing cruising or do you plan on traveling especially with passenger

Spyder Garage

As an owner of three RT's, I can say that I really like the "couch" feel of the RT. I currently have one, two cylinder and one, three cylinder version. The three cylinder is much smoother and quieter. Also requires less maintenance.

I have test sat an F3 and my personal feeling is that it "feels" much different than the RT. Even with the pegs and handlebars adjusted to my liking. I would miss the electric windshield, but could live with the lesser storage space. I do like the looks (ala Harley Road King).

I have yet to test drive (the test sit was on the dealers personal machine).

Cost wise, when you compare the F3T to a standard RT, there is not a lot of difference. I am thinking "more for less" is what is happening--IMO of course.

Am also thinking, the F3T will have to generate a lot more "wow" on the test drive for me to bite the bullet on #6.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default F3 or RT

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    the thing you have to consider are you just doing cruising or do you plan on traveling especially with passenger
    Very good question.

I want to travel more, and right now, I am not very comfortable on my RT.

So maybe, just a seat replacement would do the trick.

Dom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With about double the storage capacity od the F3-T; the RT would seem like the best choice...
    It looks as if you should contact the "Seat folks" for some new possibilities...
    Happy Shopping!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-22-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    With about double the storage capacity od the F3_T; the RT would seem like the best choice...
    It looks as if you should contact the "Seat folks" for some new possibilities...
    Happy Shopping!

Another way to view this is as motorcycle equivalents.

• The RT is a full touring bike like the Harley Road Glide Ultra - saddlebags, trunk, large frunk, lots of protection from the fairing, full complement of electronics.
    • The F3 is more like the Fat-Boy. Fun, lighter, faster, substantially less luggage capacity, no fairing.

So, are you going to take this bike around town or on longer trips? If you want the best of both worlds you'll need an F3 and a trailer. One of the F3 models can have a trailer hitch, the other can't (don't remember which is which).
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)