Spyder Garage

Default Utah/Arizona RT 89A

Always looking for new adventures. My navigator and I are thinking about riding from St George, UT across to Marble Canyon, Az then down to the Grand Canyon South Rim, maybe some time in June. Has anyone been across that route? Any comments, thoughts, do's and don'ts would be really appreciated.
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, my wife and I have done 89 south of Kanab and over to Marble Canyon and then south on 89 before going over to the South Rim. We were on 2 wheels at the time. It was a perfectly fine route. We also branched off and took 67 south from Jacob Lake to the North Rim. Also a nice route. Climbs steadily on the way south to the North Rim but if you have the time I would say it is worth it. Very forested and pretty. You get a completely different perspective of the Grand Canyon from the North Rim and it is much less busy than the south. 89 from Kanab over to Page is also very scenic if you haven't done that.

Gary

Spyder Garage

Default Nice Ride

Been that route on motorcycle, spyder and in the cage numerous times. I live in St. George as well and head south at least once a year. Its a great ride with beautiful landscape. You won't regret it.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Cognaccruiser and Utah Geezer

Thanks guys for the responses. It sounds like it definitely is the route we want. We'll plan on building in the the ryde to the North Rim.

Spyder Garage

You may want to check out Route 66 after leaving the south rim into Oatman, AZ. It's a great road, full of historic sites and picturesque.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

If time allows, RT 66 is a great ride and plenty of ladies too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    If time allows, RT 66 is a great ride and plenty of ladies too.
    Don't know...Navigator may get jealous

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    Don't know...Navigator may get jealous
    When you said, "my navigator and I are thinking about [a trip]" I thought you were talking about your GPS.

(Laughing at myself, not you.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Any ride in that spectacular area is good. Always my go to places when in the area.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Highway 12 from Bryce Canyon to Torrey is in my opinion the best road in America for spectacular views. Done the above 89 and 89A many many times and it is nice also but not the overwhelming ride you will have on Hwy 12 to Torrey. Torrey west to Hanksville, South to the Moki Dugway and Mexican Hat (Hwy 261 or "Trail Of the Ancients") will certainly never be forgotten. It should be on everyones "Bucket List" if you ride. Check it out. Word of caution: do not ride the Moki Dugway if it is raining.

89/89A South of Kanab to Fredonia and then on to Page has the best views. 89 is just so so IMO.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Highway 12 from Bryce Canyon to Torrey is in my opinion the best road in America for spectacular views. Done the above 89 and 89A many many times and it is nice also but not the overwhelming ride you will have on Hwy 12 to Torrey. Torrey west to Hanksville, South to the Moki Dugway and Mexican Hat (Hwy 261 or "Trail Of the Ancients") will certainly never be forgotten. It should be on everyones "Bucket List" if you ride. Check it out. Word of caution: do not ride the Moki Dugway if it is raining.

89/89A South of Kanab to Fredonia and then on to Page has the best views. 89 is just so so IMO.

Jack
    I would have to agree with you that the trip south from Hanksville all the way to Blanding is one of our favourite rides although we went in the opposite direction and then west to Torrey and then over to Bryce.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a nasty section of gravel on 261 just north of Mexican Hat when it comes down the switchbacks? Has this been paved in recent years?

Truth be told, I don't think I've found a road in Utah and area that we didn't like.

Gary

Spyder Garage

Did hwy 12 last year on cross country trip one of the best routes I took on the trip.it will be well worth u're time to travel this road. Another great road is Highway 34 in Granby Colorado Both are great road to travel if in these areas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    I would have to agree with you that the trip south from Hanksville all the way to Blanding is one of our favourite rides although we went in the opposite direction and then west to Torrey and then over to Bryce.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a nasty section of gravel on 261 just north of Mexican Hat when it comes down the switchbacks? Has this been paved in recent years?

Truth be told, I don't think I've found a road in Utah and area that we didn't like.

Gary
    The road you are referring to is the Moqui Dugway. Last time I rode it was in Sept 2007. I was heading South from Natural Bridges to Mexican hat. The straights are gravel but the cornors are paves,tho it was poor pavement and had scattered gravel. In those days I was on two wheels but had no trouble. This is not a road you are going to fly down(or up) views are too good and some traffic pulled off to the side or parked in the road(tourists) . If this route is on your agenda don't worry about it,it reputation is much worse then its current condition. And besides the best Navajo Tacos in the Southwest are in Mexican Hat.

If you come thru Torry you have to go up to Bicknell and have a piece of Pickle Pie. Wonderful

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Gary
    Only the Moki Dugway is not paved (11/2 miles), rest of the road is. Good hardpack road but slick when it rains. This is one of the coolest switchback passes that was used by the indians years before the "whiteman" came, hence the Trail of the Ancients. Just thinking about the history when riding up or down gives me the chills.
    Of course Monument Valley is nothing to sneeze at south of there. Just ask John Wayne. He made many movies in this area including Kanab and Grants NM. I know he has passed but he is still my hero Pilgrim.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The road you are referring to is the Moqui Dugway. Last time I rode it was in Sept 2007. I was heading South from Natural Bridges to Mexican hat. The straights are gravel but the cornors are paves,tho it was poor pavement and had scattered gravel. In those days I was on two wheels but had no trouble. This is not a road you are going to fly down(or up) views are too good and some traffic pulled off to the side or parked in the road(tourists) . If this route is on your agenda don't worry about it,it reputation is much worse then its current condition. And besides the best Navajo Tacos in the Southwest are in Mexican Hat.

If you come thru Torry you have to go up to Bicknell and have a piece of Pickle Pie. Wonderful
    Spelling is Moki Dugway, (google maps) and Torrey so as not to confuse. Great modern restaurant in Mexican hat plus fuel. Monument Valley is south of Mexican Hat on Hwy 165. Have been riding, driving and flyng these areas for thirty years. I'm getting my self all juiced up here and might have to make another trip before Red Rocks Rally in Sept.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

This road is usually open all year, but it can be closed anytime when the access is not cleared of snow. This route provides breathtaking views of some of
    Utah’s most beautiful sites. Scenic views of Valey of the Gods and distant Monument valley open at every turn of the dugway. The Moki Dugway was constructed in the 1950′s provide a way to haul ore from the Happy Jack Mine on Cedar Mesa to the mill in Halchita, near Mexican Hat.

http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-...ugway-usa.html

Moki Dugway

The Moki Dugway (also spelled Mokee or Moqui) is located on UT-261, just northwest of Valley of the Gods.

http://bluffutah.org/mokey-dugway-muley-point/

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I've ridden most all of these roads and IMO, not a clunker in the bunch. Like was said Utah is a wonderful motorcycling place.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jaherbst and pegasus1300, thanks for the info on 261. That is one of the few roads in the area we have not been on. Have done Monument Valley etc a few times.
    We are booked for the Red Rock Rally in September because we love the area so much. Will have to look at going on 261 while down there.

Gary

Spyder Garage

See you at Red Rock

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Jaherbst and pegasus1300, thanks for the info on 261. That is one of the few roads in the area we have not been on. Have done Monument Valley etc a few times.
    We are booked for the Red Rock Rally in September because we love the area so much. Will have to look at going on 261 while down there.

Gary
    Thanks Gary, will look forward to seeing you at Red Rocks. Will probably go home on this route. First night going home will stay at The Chuckwagon in Torrey and the second night in Kayenta off #163 South of Monument Valley. Join us if you like. Will be staying at the Hilton Gardens across the Street from the Fairfield in St. George.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    I drove this route about 10 years ago in the winter and it was spectacular. Ever since I have wanted to return on something other than a car!! Another great route I have taken is State route 14 from Cedar City to US 89 and then branch out from there where ever!! Thanks for the reminder of this great route.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    I drove this route about 10 years ago in the winter and it was spectacular. Ever since I have wanted to return on something other than a car!! Another great route I have taken is State route 14 from Cedar City to US 89 and then branch out from there where ever!! Thanks for the reminder of this great route.
    Your welcome, glad to be of service. From Cedar City East the road branches about halfway to 89. If you take the left branch you can go to Brian Head, Lake Panguich and over to 89 also. Both roads are great for Spyder Riding.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!! A simple question and...

This has turned into a tremendous thread. A simple question about a single route and now I have a whole new Spyder friendly area to explore. This is what makes this forum great!