Thread: Oil Change help

Spyder Garage

Question Oil Change help

2015 F3 [I live in Florida] : Rather than using the OEM oil can I use standard motorcycle [JASO MA] 20W 50W ? If so, synthetic or semi Synthetic?

Thanks,
    Frank
    Last edited by fjp800; 03-18-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome aboard

Hi Frank, I'd suggest a quick peek in the manual. It gives all the proper specification for the oil. I'm only pointing you there , as I am not sure. Just did mine, and used the Brp blended.
    Good luck.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Many....

there are many oils out there that will meet the spec's in your manual. Your choice to change but if I were to change from the BRP blend I would go to the Amsoil . Doc just sent his Mobil 1 in for analysis after 5000 mile so we will see how it does. So far I see that all oils tested here break down starting at around 4000 miles. I like the brp change kits and it is a quality oil. Amsoil you can get from BajaRon, one of our sponsors, as well as filters...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL

I follow the Oil thread religiously, We both have the 1330 Ace engine ....I am now using this combination of Full Synthetic oils.......Valvoline Four Stroke ( for Mtc's ) in Silver container 4qts of 10w/40 and 1qt of 20w/50......5 qts total .......This oil can be bought at Walmart on-line in six-pack form for about $35 -38 ea....that's around $ 6.00+ per qt.........This oil has very, very low Molybdenum in it.......this is good for our WET clutches.......I use 1 qt. of 20w50 to decrease the viscosity break-down...........good luck......Mike

Spyder Garage

I have been using the BRP oil, that is until my next oil change. I just purchased Amsoil 10-40 metric oil & will be ordering filters from Baja Ron shortly. I have had very good luck with Amsoil.

I will never use Mobil 1 again. I had used this in my wife SUV and the oil broke down and I had to limp home. She had 7600 miles on 7500 mile oil and the Mobile was done. I had run Amsoil 7500 mile oil in that same vehicle and had accidentally let it run up to 10,000 miles with no issue. Needless to say I am an Amsoil fan.

I have also heard some very good reports about the Semi Auto transmission in the Spyder performing better with the Amsoil.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AMSOIL VS THE VALVOLINE

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    I have been using the BRP oil, that is until my next oil change. I just purchased Amsoil 10-40 metric oil & will be ordering filters from Baja Ron shortly. I have had very good luck with Amsoil.

I will never use Mobil 1 again. I had used this in my wife SUV and the oil broke down and I had to limp home. She had 7600 miles on 7500 mile oil and the Mobile was done. I had run Amsoil 7500 mile oil in that same vehicle and had accidentally let it run up to 10,000 miles with no issue. Needless to say I am an Amsoil fan.

I have also heard some very good reports about the Semi Auto transmission in the Spyder performing better with the Amsoil.
    Dave, Amsoil is the only OIL with less Molybdenum in it ,,Then the Valvoline.................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-19-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default castrol

This is what I use: Castrol Power1 10W-50 Synthetic 4T Motorcycle Oil.
    Not sure of the Molybdenum level but I cannot believe Amsoil is the only one with low Molybdenum.
    I will do more research and report back.
    Attached Images Attached Images