Spyder Garage

Default Past the Exam and Now Scheduled for the Road Test - Weaving?

Hi, this is Karen. We just got my first motorcycle (2014 Spyder RT Limited). Good choice huh? (I used to call it "our" motorcycle, but now I call it "my" motorcycle)
    Well, I passed the written test and am scheduled for the road test on Good Friday in Gainesville, GA.
    I have watched several videos on YouTube on the series of tests you have to drive and have even gone to the road test site at our DDS to practice. However, I cannot find a YouTube video showing a Spyder taking a Road Test. Anyone know of one?
    Can I make the assumption that to do the weave test, that you only have to weave one of the tires through the cones? Also, isn't the swerve a little tricky on 3 wheels? Any words of wisdom to take the road test with a Spyder? Thanks ya'll. Maybe I'll have my husband video tape the test.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the first step!

Can you and Dave get your hands on some empty 2- liter soda bottles?
    I believe that there are some riding exercises in your manual...
    Take the bottles, and set yourself up a course in an empty parking lot.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Don't fret the upcoming test. When they see you are on a three wheeled, stable, , it should go well for you. The one I would worry about is the panic stop. Be ready, and don't go over the line.

Akspyderlady was asked to make a right turn, a left turn, and a panic stop. Test over.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OBSERVING VS. DRIVING

Karen you can watch all the video's you want .......try driving the Spyder and you will soon discover it's no different than driving your car.....the controls are different , but it works the same way........There is no balancing thing, no leaning thing, if you have the SE no shifting thing.........Just practice rolling on the gas gently, and practice, practice, the braking.......After you pass, you will have more opportunity to practice............PS, if you have NEVER driven a motorcycle you are WAY better off.......you don't have UN-LEARN things .....good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Karen View Post
    Hi, this is Karen. We just got my first motorcycle (2014 Spyder RT Limited). Good choice huh? (I used to call it "our" motorcycle, but now I call it "my" motorcycle)
    Well, I passed the written test and am scheduled for the road test on Good Friday in Gainesville, GA.
    I have watched several videos on YouTube on the series of tests you have to drive and have even gone to the road test site at our DDS to practice. However, I cannot find a YouTube video showing a Spyder taking a Road Test. Anyone know of one?
    Can I make the assumption that to do the weave test, that you only have to weave one of the tires through the cones? Also, isn't the swerve a little tricky on 3 wheels? Any words of wisdom to take the road test with a Spyder? Thanks ya'll. Maybe I'll have my husband video tape the test.
    when I took my road test in north Dakota, they had me do the same test as a two wheeler. we just had to use every other cone. it was a breeze

Spyder Garage

Default New Mexico driving test

When I did mine, they made sure the lights and horn worked. I started in a parking spot, went to the road, stop, right turn to get on the street, another right turn to get back into the parking lot, panic stop (simulated as a car backing out of a parking spot) and then a complete circle. My wife and I did this on a RSS and we never left first gear. No need to panic and just listen to what they ask for. I hope this eases your mind and good luck.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)