Thread: Heat recall

Spyder Garage

Default Heat recall

Dose anyone have an actual recall number for the panel replacement on the 2013 st for heat reduction? My dealer or BPR. Have no idea what I'm talking about

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bombardier

NHTSA campaign ID # 15V095
    Feb. 2015
    Can Am 2013
    High engine compartment temperature

This was the RT (corrected)
    Last edited by Saluda; 03-16-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default What he said...

I am surprised that the dealer is unaware... I would worry....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The OP was asking about the ST not the RT. The recall was for the 2013 RT. There was a previous service bulletin I believe on panel replacement for the ST if memory serves me right and it was 2012 or 2011 for those who requested it. Others here would probably know more.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default That's pretty odd

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Dose anyone have an actual recall number for the panel replacement on the 2013 st for heat reduction? My dealer or BPR. Have no idea what I'm talking about

You have a dealer who is not familiar with the heat issue associated with the 2013 ST when the entire Sypder community knows about it? Maybe it's time to find a new dealer. Or maybe he's just blowing smoke up your pants leg. Even if you're not explaining the problem in sufficient detail, he should be able to piece the problem together. How did you find out that BRP doesn't know anything about it either? Hopefully, your dealer didn't tell you that.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default No recall

There is no recall for 13 ST to Replace the panels with 2014 ones. So no number. I got mine done under warranty. I personally had to call BRP folks in Wisconsin and plead my case. They issued a warranty claim number. I had to get it done before the first 2 year warranty period ended or it would not be done.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If you are experiencing an actual heat issue on your ST then you should do some further research. As mentioned above, the actual heat recall with air scoops was for 2013 RT's. Other cases have been handled on an individual basis, depending on need. Direct contact with BRP should be done--not here say from the dealer--if that is what happened in your case.

Keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out the thread on st airflow panels. Part numbers are shown.
    there is no Recall.
    it is a goodwill fix under warranty.
    by offering this goodwill fix, the st was not investigated by nhtsa (or whatever it is called)
    the panels are same as on 14st, a straight swap, no cutting or drilling.

Suggest you look up the part number and give it to your dealer, advising him of your heat issues and/or gas boiling.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=billybovine;1103298]There is no recall for 13 ST to replace the panels with 2014 ones. So no number. I got mine done under warranty. They issued a warranty claim number.

Sorry, above info is correct. The only other thing I found was the recall on the ST & RT which was associated with Tandem master cylinder manifold inlet (fire hazard) dated Sept. 2013.

MelloYelloSpyder

Go to the BRP customer care and open up a complaint with them stating that you are getting a lot of heat from the engine. They will issue you a reference number. Then go to your dealer and have them open up a formal complaint and have them put the reference number in the body of the email they are sending BRP. I had mine in a couple of weeks and even with the bike out of warranty they replaced them as a show of good faith. BRP said that because the bike was out of warranty they would replace the panels at no charge but I would have to pay to have them installed. I elected to take the panels home and install them myself. Pretty straight forward on replacing the panels. Took me about an hour or so to do the job.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=MelloYelloSpyder;1103444]Go to the BRP customer care and open up a complaint with them stating that you are getting a lot of heat from the engine.

This is how I got the panels on my 2013 ST Limited replaced. I even included pictures of how red my legs were after a ride. My first letter to BRP was ignored, but the pictures got their attention. Be persistent.

Spyder Garage

"loisK" is correct. It is a "goodwill fix" by BRP through a dealer. A dealer needs to initiate the call to BRP. It is a straight swap of side panels, 2013 panels come off and 2014 panels are installed. No drilling, cutting, gluing, just swap the panels. The dealer I bought from was not aware of the problem either. It was a frustrating couple of months getting them to understand the problem, but they finally said the magic words to BRP and parts were shipped and installed and all is well now. I hope your process is quicker and less frustrating than mine.
    If the dealer starts talking about a recall and cutting holes for vents, that is a recall for RT models only, not for ST models.
    Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST Limited Heat Issue

Last year I bought a used 2013 ST Limited. After a couple weeks of riding in August heat, I could no longer take the pain. I found some posts in SpyderLovers that talked about dealers voluntarily replacing 2013 panels with 2014 panels. I went to my dealer and asked the salesman who sold me the bike about it. He pulled up a service bulletin and read it to me. It instructed dealers to replace the 2013 panels upon request. It went so far as to say that if the correct color was not available, the dealer should order replacements, take them to an auto body shop, and have them painted to match.

The next week I had new, matching panels. That's the way it should be for everybody who wants it.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Default Part Numbers for retrofitting 2014 panels on 2013 ST

Attached Images Attached Images
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Default May be more than the recall panels

I also purchased a used 2013 ST that had a heat problem. After having the recall panels done it was better but still not exactly right. I found that there was a heat deflector on the right side that had some how disappeared or never installed. I purchased and installed the necessary parts from Cheap Cycle Parts and life is good. If you look through the large opening on the right side panel and can see the engine then you are missing the deflector. If its has the deflector in place then the engine won't be visible. With it missing all the heat just blows straight back and heats up your leg.
    Last edited by clinard; 04-02-2016 at 01:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

I believe if you went on the Can Am website you can put your VIN number in and it will give you the information including the recall number as well as the work that has to be done. When I had my recall work done on my 2013 RTL i printed out everything and it even included the template for cutting the tupperware for the scoops.

Spyder Garage

There is no recall number for ST models for the heat problem. RT models are the only ones to have an official recall number. The ST FIX IS A Goodwill Fix by BRP, not a recall.
    I know you are trying to help but if a ST owner approaches a dealer saying it is a recall it will just cause frustration on the owners part as he/she will end up chasing a rainbow.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you are experiencing an actual heat issue on your ST then you should do some further research. As mentioned above, the actual heat recall with air scoops was for 2013 RT's. Other cases have been handled on an individual basis, depending on need. Direct contact with BRP should be done--not here say from the dealer--if that is what happened in your case.

Keep us posted.

I agree. The recall was RT's.

I am not aware of a heat issue / recall for the ST's.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

The heat issue only affected the 2013 ST models, the solution is to install the vented side panels that were standard on 2014 ST models. It was not made a recall by BRP.
    However they, BRP, will replace the panels at no charge to the owner and allow 45 minutes labor to the dealer. A dealer needs to initiate the process by calling BRP and ordering the correct parts.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 2014 panels are a Goodwill fix from BRP.....no recall....but check to see if the master cylinder recall has been done.....go to dealer and run vin# to see what has been done to your ST....another great help to go along with the 2014 panels is a cat bi-pass....check with Pitfall Powersports 417-863-1418.....it will help a bunch with heat

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

My wife just purchased a brand new 2013 ST from Lifestyles in Mount Vernon, WA, site sponsor... Heckuva deal btw! They handled the heat panel issue in minutes setting up the claim, no questions asked, and she only had 51 miles on the Spyder. Our girlfriend had 3000 on her ST Limited, had never heard of the issue but complained it was very hot, they took care of her also. New panels in a week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneR View Post
    My wife just purchased a brand new 2013 ST from Lifestyles in Mount Vernon, WA, site sponsor... Heckuva deal btw! They handled the heat panel issue in minutes setting up the claim, no questions asked, and she only had 51 miles on the Spyder. Our girlfriend had 3000 on her ST Limited, had never heard of the issue but complained it was very hot, they took care of her also. New panels in a week.
    Lifestyles is great! We put money down last year on a new 2013 ST limiited (9 miles on it)...and when when we went back to pick it up they had replaced the panels without us even asking. I had found out about the panels after we initially saw it and was going to inquire when we went back. Again...great dealer!
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...

Spyder Garage

Lifestyles sounds like a great dealership, may they remain so! Excellent service is becoming a rare find these days!!!!